• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ^^^ And that is an 18" gas gun. What about a 24" bolt gun ??
    I am not quite sure that I understand words being thrown out like "flatter" and "better". Is flatter refering to maximum hight above the line of sight ( horizonal in your retical). Is better referring to a shooting system that you can simply shoulder/rest and shoot. AT 1000YDS ??
    I am really not trying to change anyones mind. Just trying to understand other peoples way of thinking.
    BTW - -> I do own a 6.5Creedmoor bolt gun. My gun has a 1:7 twist and will shoot ANY .264" bullet made. How about ya'll ?? --- SAWMAN

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M118lr. It's the sniper ammo. Bought 1000 rounds from American marksman. Made in 2018 according to the stamp. It's not hunting ammo for sure because it doesn't expand worth a damn but it still has a hole in the tip and that has to cause some drag I would think. How much I don't know. That's all I've ever shot out of this rifle so I have nothing to compare it to

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes I prefer the 6-6.5 calibers for shooting to 1k and past. The BC of those bullets are amazing compared to 30cal bullets, unless shooting from a 300WM.

Using my 6BR when I can on my good days, wife babysits me at the range, takes 8.2 miles to 1080yds. Try that with a 308?

Also they have a lot less recoil also. My conditions is worsened by more recoil, hence why I shoot a 6BR now.

Doc

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So on paper and in the real world they're about the same out to 800 and at 1000 the 6.5 takes the lead. The 308 is still supersonic at a 1000 but is falling fast and running out of gas after that. Well past 1000 the 6.5 is still supersonic. Outside of AR rifles what does the 6.5 Creedmoor do in a bolt gun that the 6.5x55 or similar doesn't do? I haven't been able to find the Mauser ammo readily available for a long long time so there's that but didn't the AR really solidify the Creedmoor? And how many people choose the AR platform for a 1000+ yds?

Does anyone see a 300 win mag 6.5 wildcat on the horizon?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not a "wildcat" but how about a 264Win Mag. The 6.5-284 is pretty hot also. My 6.5PRC is a 6.5C on steroids. Then there is the 6.5-06AI. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm friends with the marine who invented the 6.5 creedmore. Great guy. Used to shoot with Gunny R Lee Ermey. Has several other inventions and patents.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm friends with the marine who invented the 6.5 creedmore. Great guy. Used to shoot with Gunny R Lee Ermey. Has several other inventions and patents.
    Hoorah. Tell him we said hi

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have both, 308 and 6.5 CM in both configurations, for me I usually need a spotter with the 308 as recoil takes me off the target and I can't see the hit. Not so with the 6.5 as I can stay on target and see where the bullet hits. That's just me as I am old, and recoil sensitive. Could be why most rifle competitors are using 6mm of one type or another. As JJ says my 2 cents worth.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Low recoil is great. I had my C3-T1 taken out last year and replaced and fused. I went to 6BR for my long range platform. Almost zero recoil in my RPR now. I can watch bullet trace all the way to the target iny scope.

Doc

Top Bottom