• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P4RET

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    They are both excellent. What was said above is that there are more options right now and more ability to find 308 ammo. I enjoy shooting both.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Selling rifles/ barrels and getting people into long range shooting.

6.5 isn't the end all be all but it offers a lot. There are plenty of other options out there. If you don't care about distances past 600yds, 308 is still a wonderful option
    To bad there isn't an in depth history of PRS, and which came first, PRS or Hornady introducing the 6.5 CM and needing a place for people to shoot their factory ammo.
    Followed up by their offering the 6 CM in factory ammo and probably supplying a few top shooters and one cable TV personality with factory ammo.
    Hornady just followed the factory sponsored NASCAR teams of the 60's and 70's.
    "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Selling rifles/ barrels and getting people into long range shooting.

6.5 isn't the end all be all but it offers a lot. There are plenty of other options out there. If you don't care about distances past 600yds, 308 is still a wonderful option
    Best thing for me about 6.5 CM is that I can do the tables in my head because it's all multiples of 100

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What I am reading Nate,is that a 6.5C can hit targets at 1000yds BETTER.
    BETTER ???? You lost me at better.
    I feel that you guys are simply missing my two,extremely important points in the "conversation". Those are - - -> the little knob on top the scope,and the reloadability and bullet choice of the 308Win.
    Most long(er) range shooters buy their scopes especially for these little knobs. Can you not use them to make the 6.5C and 308Win come equal at the magical/mystical 1000yds ??
    Then there is the reloading thing . . . and . . . ?? ? . . . is a 6.5 AR equal to a 308Win BOLT GUN ??
    NOPE,nope,that discussion is for another day. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Better may not be the right word...

More efficiently. IE, less adjustment needed to make hits compared to .308win.

Look at the precision rifle shoots these days. Very few people are still shooting .308 these days... no one here is saying. 308 can't do it. They're just saying 6.5cm does it.... well, better. Lol.

The real question is, performance past 1k... that's where 6.5 really starts to outshine .308

But I can't even see that far, so I'll leave that discussion up to you experts.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would assume better means tighter groups at 1000, and more velocity at the target which calculates to more energy on the target. Yes the 6.5 140 grainer is hitting harder than the .308 175 grainer at that distance.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    But are the people that are shooting 1000yds actually hunting ?? With a hit at 1000yds do they need a certin amount of terminal energy to knock over a silhouette ?? Or do the simply need to put a hole in a extremely thin piece of paper.
    AND AGAIN - -> how much more (if any) complecated is it for a well loaded 308 shooter to figure his drops,and then click up ?? How many more clicks will it take between the two chamberings ??
    FORK IT !! - -> I'm pulling out my 6.5PRC and some VLD's !! A 143gr starting out a 200+fps faster than a 6.5C and a 7 twist 24" bbl will outshoot a 300Win Mag . . . EASILY !! ---- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I would assume better means tighter groups at 1000, and more velocity at the target which calculates to more energy on the target. Yes the 6.5 140 grainer is hitting harder than the .308 175 grainer at that distance.
    "Better" here means "farther". It can go to 1,500 accurately, no problem

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    People also need to realize what kind of glass you need to shoot ANY chambering out to 1000 and especially 1500yds.
    My scope on the 30-378 was a 8.5-25X50 Leupold. I found it to be pretty much minimum. Back then I do not remember anything more powerful but could have been.
    You do not necessarily need a FFP scope however a thin crosshair is mandatory. It a zoom type scope,precise tracking is also a must. Some,even higher end scopes fall short in this category.
    Your overall budget for shooting out farther better be huge. The whole long range package,including reloading gear,WILL COST BIG BUCKS !! --- SAWMAN

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Better may not be the right word...

More efficiently. IE, less adjustment needed to make hits compared to .308win.

Look at the precision rifle shoots these days. Very few people are still shooting .308 these days... no one here is saying. 308 can't do it. They're just saying 6.5cm does it.... well, better. Lol.
    Exactly, why I said why I said, more optimal for it. Flatter trajectory the room for error is less, you don't have to kentucky lob the bullet out there because the drop factor is not as much.

I know I'm stating the obvious but I guess it's all in the wording, some things have to be explained.

KE=1/2mv^2

That velocity is the big factor in that equation.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly, why I said why I said, more optimal for it. Flatter trajectory the room for error is less, you don't have to kentucky lob the bullet out there because the drop factor is not as much.

I know I'm stating the obvious but I guess it's all in the wording, some things have to be explained.

KE=1/2mv^2

That velocity is the big factor in that equation.

Yes it is but don’t forget to factor BC. This is the Bullets ability to defy gravity and wind. A slippery bullet retains that velocity at distance vs a football that dies quick. The formula stated is only good at the muzzle and the .308 gets on the 6.5 pretty good at the muzzle.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I agree. was just throwing out the general physics with it but yes anything traveling has friction, so the goal is to minimize that.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 6.5 shoots flatter than the 308. That's an undeniable fact. A flatter shooting bullet will require less adjustment. This is also a fact. How much is the difference in adjustment between the two? I don't know. I'm not "hating" on new cartridges. If something is better it's better. I'm just trying to figure what makes it better. I was hoping that someone that has extensive knowledge with both calibers in the AR platform could provide side by side comparisons and point out the differences that make it better or not. Someone that isn't influenced by publishers or gun/ammo companies.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To answer @Hinote question yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is here to stay. It’s gotten enough press that it now has traction. Compare it to the 270 win after Jack O’connor talked it up enough. However your comparison to a long action cartridge isn’t a fair comparison. There are many better long action cartridges but the .257 offerings are slim. Much better bullet choices at .264 and even better at .284 For short action I would make my choice based off what distance I planned to shoot.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 6.5 shoots flatter than the 308. That's an undeniable fact. A flatter shooting bullet will require less adjustment. This is also a fact. How much is the difference in adjustment between the two? I don't know. I'm not "hating" on new cartridges. If something is better it's better. I'm just trying to figure what makes it better. I was hoping that someone that has extensive knowledge with both calibers in the AR platform could provide side by side comparisons and point out the differences that make it better or not. Someone that isn't influenced by publishers or gun/ammo companies.
    My 22” 6.5 creed gas gun shoots factory Hornady 140 ELD X at 2750fps. My 18” 308 gas gun shoots M118 (175 SMK) at 2550 FPS. Plug these numbers into your ballistic app and you will find tour answer.

Top Bottom