• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really thought about building one of these on an AR platform rifle but didn't due to the ammo shortage. Went with 308 instead. Now after much reading and ballistics charts I'm kind of glad I didn't.

In a bolt gun I just don't see the advantage when there are other well established cartridges out there that are easier to come by for a lot less money. Like the 25.06.

In an AR platform I don't see the advantage until about 700+yds and even then the advantage is in kinetic energy. I get that there is less bullet drop and drift with the 6.5 but you still have to compensate for that regardless if it's a 6.5 or 7.62 and unless you're trying to kill something what difference does kinetic energy make? Is this cartridge just the new fad that has only gained traction because of the AR rifles or is it actually worth dealing with the obscurity and extra cost?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    6.5 cm has a lot more bullet options than 25-06, especially the larger/heavier rounds.

25-06 could be much better.

That said - I do want an AR in 6.5cm.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Better than that is this - -> what will the 6.5C do that the 260Rem has not been doing for the last 30 years ??
    AND - -> are their not chamberings that can be loaded into the AR15 sized frame that will pretty much do the same thing as the 6.5C in the much larger,heavier,and more expensive AR10 sized frame ??
    You choice of 308Win was a good move. ---- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    what will the 6.5C do that the 260Rem has not been doing for the last 30 years ??

Selling rifles/ barrels and getting people into long range shooting.

6.5 isn't the end all be all but it offers a lot. There are plenty of other options out there. If you don't care about distances past 600yds, 308 is still a wonderful option

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've never really understood the hate that some of these "new" chamberings seem to receive.. I get it, change is scary. But innovation is a good thing. More options that get more people in to the sport is a good thing. I don't own a creedmoor, but I don't hate it or think it's overhyped.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Then here is another question. Can you do a few clicky-clicks on that little knob on top of your scope and equal them out at over 600 ?? Isn't the 308 as inherently as accurate as the 6.5C ??
    Why do alot of shooters nowadays want velocity and bullet B.C. to do all the work. Share the problem solving with your optics. To me clickin' up is pretty easy. --- SAWMAN

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my opinion the 6.5 didn't really start selling rifles and barrels until it was offered in the AR platform and became the focus of every new gun article out there. Yes, people were buying bolt guns for deer hunting but not like 243s 270s 308s or 30.06s. I'm not against wildcats to norm cartridges or new better cartridges. Hell, my go to deer rifle is a Remington 700 rechambered to 7mmSTW. In a bolt gun, there are better long range options. But in an AR what is special about this cartridge that really makes it worth it compared to 308?

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not trying to start a war. Just wanted some real world data that isn't influenced by a manufacturer.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm a fan of 6.5 Grendel AR15 frame. 6.5 Creedmore AR10 frame. Factory ammo prices for 308 and the 6.5 C are I found about the same. Sure you could find cheap blasting 308 for less. If you were looking for precision then no big price difference. I also like the AR gas piston systems best. Less recoil and faster follow up shots. Over a conventional bolt gun I find the AR platforms offer more choices for the shooter to customize the gun. I have the 308 in AR platforms and other military rifles. I enjoy them. I just like the 6.5 more. If the 260 was available in an AR at the time I would have probably gone with it. I only have a 300yd range so other than less bullet drop compared to a 308 there is no difference to the target.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don’t have a 6.5 Creedmoor so I can’t really have much informative input on the cartridge but several of my friends have it in bolt action rifles and absolutely love this bullet. They have accounted for several deer with it and have made it their favorite caliber to hunt with.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    But in an AR what is special about this cartridge that really makes it worth it compared to 308?
    Less recoil and flatter shooting. Benefits most realized in distances past 600yds. As mentioned in my previous post.

Sawman. You can move turrets all you want. The 6.5 is going to give you more range with less movement at longer distances. But you knew that already.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've never really understood the hate that some of these "new" chamberings seem to receive.. I get it, change is scary. But innovation is a good thing. More options that get more people in to the sport is a good thing. I don't own a creedmoor, but I don't hate it or think it's overhyped.

There are people who are set in their ways and will never adapt to new efficient and more performing means of anything, these people are closed minded and never research anything. What they learned in the 1970's is the top of the line and nothing is better. Those of us who try to master the now are "dumb"... when the now schools everything they know.

6.5 has been proven to shoot flat and far, and you will have the shallow minded stuck with their 1911's and anything with a wood grain stock that will never touch the 6.5 because it's in a plastic stock black evil rifle.

I should tell them my precision bolt .308 is in a black composite stock rifle, and watch them cringe and sell off their .308 stuff haha.

Less recoil and flatter shooting. Benefits most realized in distances past 600yds. As mentioned in my previous post.

Sawman. You can move turrets all you want. The 6.5 is going to give you more range with less movement at longer distances. But you knew that already.
    I wouldn't assume what people know unless they can validate their knowledge in a good technical educated post, that is asking a lot about some people.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    300 Whisper wasn't anything until AAC took it and called it 300 Blackout and marketed the data, and it took off, so think about that aspect. When it works, it sells.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Therein lies the problem. The people that do not reload EITHER the 6.5C or the 308Win are falling for the 6.5C hype without seeing the big picture. Then they double down by saying that others are behind the times and are "fudd's".
    Those people are simply telling on themselves. The internet is their talking point. PERIOD !!
    Those 169's,with that high B.C. should hit a happy medium between the faster 155 Palma's and the slower 175's. In my time shooting the 308Win I fell in love with the 155's.
    Waiting to see if the 169's do any winning. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

6.5cm is not new - but newly rediscovered.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Therein lies the problem. The people that do not reload EITHER the 6.5C or the 308Win are falling for the 6.5C hype without seeing the big picture. Then they double down by sayingh that others are behind the times and are "fudd's".
    Those people are simply telling on themselves. The internet is their talking point. PERIOD !!
    Those 169's,with that high B.C. should hit a happy medium between the faster 155 Palma's and the slower 175's. In my time shooting the 308Win I fell in love with the 155's.
    Waiting to see if the 169's do any winning. ---- SAWMAN

FYI - no matter what SAWMAN is a fudd.....

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was not able to extract the full potential of the 6.5C in a gas gun so I've stuck to a bolt gun for that cartridge. YMMV.

Others in the 6.5C gas gun game have come to the same conclusion... some find it hard to admit.

Top Bottom