• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Six rounds is good in a self-defense pistol, for the 1st bad guy. But what about his 4 other buddies?
    Gonna need that Glock 19/26 with a 31rd mag.
    Besides, you know the saying, you keep shooting until the threat is no longer a threat.
    There no one good answer for all scenarios. My edc is either either a G15 or G26. But there are scenarios where a 5 shot or 6 J-frame is a better answer. I also do have a keltec P32. While a G17 is good, a 12 ga shotgun is better, but for obvious reasons there is a reason that pistols are used for EDC. Now I will agree that a S&W model 15 or 19 6 revolver with 4 inch barrels is inferior to a G19 or G23; and it is the cartridge capacity that is the major reason.
    A reason for the smaller lower capacity guns is being more concealable. rule 1 in a gunfight is to have a gun.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    There no one good answer for all scenarios. My edc is either either a G15 or G26. But there are scenarios where a 5 shot or 6 J-frame is a better answer. I also do have a keltec P32. While a G17 is good, a 12 ga shotgun is better, but for obvious reasons there is a reason that pistols are used for EDC. Now I will agree that a S&W model 15 or 19 6 revolver with 4 inch barrels is inferior to a G19 or G23; and it is the cartridge capacity that is the major reason.
    A reason for the smaller lower capacity guns is being more concealable. rule 1 in a gunfight is to have a gun.
    rule 1 in a gunfight is to have a gun.
    rule 2 in a gunfight is to have two guns.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Six rounds is good in a self-defense pistol, for the 1st bad guy. But what about his 4 other buddies?
    Gonna need that Glock 19/26 with a 31rd mag.
    Besides, you know the saying, you keep shooting until the threat is no longer a threat.
    Hopefully, after the first bang the rest scatter like roaches. They also don't have any idea how many rounds you have.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The only revolver I have that's not a 22LR is loaded with snakeshot for.... snakes.
    If its SD or EDC - Its a semiautomatic only because automatics are forbidden in this free country.

Themumfordman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The only revolver I have that's not a 22LR is loaded with snakeshot for.... snakes.
    If its SD or EDC - Its a semiautomatic only because automatics are forbidden in this free country.

Amen.

As the saying goes, “two is one and one is none.” Always be ready the most you can for the unexpected, and there is security in redundancy. Whether higher capacity, easy access spare ammo or multiple tools, no one ever regretted being over-prepped.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am economizing and thinking of a SW 340 PD 5 shot 357
    I have a 340PD. You do know its titanium (Air Lite, not Air Weight), right? Its weights 11.8oz - lighter than a 442/642.
    It is *brutal* with 357. Still painful with +P 38s. It stays in the safe or goes to the range, but NOT cc.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I have a 340PD. You do know its titanium (Air Lite, not Air Weight), right? Its weights 11.8oz - lighter than a 442/642.
    It is *brutal* with 357. Still painful with +P 38s. It stays in the safe or goes to the range, but NOT cc.
    why not CC ? that is what i am looking for summertime clothes concealed carry ...shorts t shirt . Although i have been away from hand guns for a decade or 2 i am familiar with heavy recoil , i was cautioned about hot loads in my new 2.5 python and after shooting SA/DA and using it to qualify for CC permit i was like yawn

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    How many rounds are fired in typical self defense cases?
    Who cares? That's what you hang your hat on "typical"? "Typical" may not be the situation your're in or I'm in. Arm for the worst, hope for the best. This is always, always, always my strategy no matter what. Is it over kill to carry more than 5-6 rounds? Maybe. However, It's the way I roll. Yet another reason to carry concealed. The perp doesn't know you have a normal capacity Glock 17-19. Reading some of the comments in this thread has convinced me to carry an extra, full magazine. I hold my life in higher regard than style or comfort. Weight no consequence.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This will be my first summer CC in fla with a 2.5 python ,i might have to have the wife haul the 2 speedloaders though ,maybe a hellcat is in the cards
    Something to consider when CC on the salty, sandy, humid Gulf Coast, is rust! This is where the polymer tupperware guns shine and don't use a leather holster! Leather attracts salty humidity to your gun like a magnet! Kydex at least in the hot months is the way to go. My M&P Shield has survived a dunking in saltwater w/ no ill effects! A revolver in that same situation would have been a show stopper!

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    why not CC ? that is what i am looking for summertime clothes concealed carry ...shorts t shirt . Although i have been away from hand guns for a decade or 2 i am familiar with heavy recoil , i was cautioned about hot loads in my new 2.5 python and after shooting SA/DA and using it to qualify for CC permit i was like yawn
    Like everything in life, there are compromises and trade-offs. I personally believe there are better choices for a SD weapon where you might have to shoot more than one round in defense of your life or that of a loved one.

I bought my 340PD from its original owner after watching him run a cylinder of 125gr 357s through her. And he's an experienced handgun hunter and not just your average weekend-plinker. He knows his tools. It was an experience to watch.

I have, and regularly shoot heavy, hot 44s, 45 Colts, 454C, 480R, 475L and 500 JRH. I am very familiar with heavy recoiling handguns. I've also shot my 357s for decades. Have even had and shot XPs in 7m08 and an old Magnum Research Lone Eagle in 30-06 (remember those!), and some wildcat Encore barrels made by Gary Reeder.

I'd rather carry my Colt Agent with 158gr+Ps than the 340PD with anything more than a wadcutter. A little more weight, one more round in the cylinder, and that weight helps with controllability.

To put it another way, shooting the 340PD with anything in the 38+P range and upwards is like taking a beer bottle, breaking it into small shards, putting those small glass shards in your palm, putting your hand knuckles down and palm open facing up, and then smashing that glass it into sand with a ball peen hammer. There nerve pain shoots straight up your wrist and into your shoulder. Just not for the faint of heart or regular usage.

Not saying a 340PD is not the right choice for you, but my experiences have led me to carry something else in defense of life, limb, loved ones, and property. Mine is just a range piece. YMMV.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Who cares? That's what you hang your hat on "typical"? "Typical" may not be the situation your're in or I'm in. Arm for the worst, hope for the best. This is always, always, always my strategy no matter what. Is it over kill to carry more than 5-6 rounds? Maybe. However, It's the way I roll. Yet another reason to carry concealed. The perp doesn't know you have a normal capacity Glock 17-19. Reading some of the comments in this thread has convinced me to carry an extra, full magazine. I hold my life in higher regard than style or comfort. Weight no consequence.
    No one ever said, after an encounter, "I wish I had less ammunition!"

You have to plan for the worst, prepare as best you can, and hope for the best. You get the gunfight you get. You don't get to "pick."

There is so much more that goes into it, like situational awareness, planning your activities, etc. Y'all know this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom