• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    No one ever said, after an encounter, "I wish I had less ammunition!"

You have to plan for the worst, prepare as best you can, and hope for the best. You get the gunfight you get. You don't get to "pick."

Makes perfect sense to me. I want you for a back up. So why are so many debating and supporting less ammo? I'm really confused. My little pea brain is working over time. Is it for the clicks? Sorry, nothing else make sense to me. I'm a life long learner. Please tell me what I'm missing.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No one ever said, after an encounter, "I wish I had less ammunition!"

You have to plan for the worst, prepare as best you can, and hope for the best. You get the gunfight you get. You don't get to "pick."

Makes perfect sense to me. I want you for a back up. So why are so many debating and supporting less ammo? I'm really confused. My little pea brain is working over time. Is it for the clicks? Sorry, nothing else make sense to me. I'm a life long learner. Please tell me what I'm missing.
    The reasons for a gun with lower capacity may be conceal-ability. As I said earlier, the most important thing is to have a gun, then after that a gun in an 'effective' caliber, then a gun that is more shootable (handling, trigger, ammunition capacity ect). Also what sort of opposition or foes do you expect to be in combat with.

One size to fit all is not necessarily the best solution for every problem. As I said before I carry G26 and G19 pistols for concealment and wear very loose clothing. But if I was in shorts and tee shirt I might carry a smaller gun with lower cartridge capacity. For around my estate I am upping the size of what I carry with a G22 with 5 5/8" in cal 40. But I also carry a 5 shot .38 loaded in my pocket with speer shot cartridges.
    What most of us try to do is adequate risk management. More bullets assuming you bother to aim to some extent is better than fewer. But is six shots an absolute deal breaker? That is a choice that we all can make here.
    What you carry must be the best choice for you in your mind for your circumstances.
    If you are young and poor it might be an 8 shot HiPoint pistol is your best choice.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've had a version of that happen as well. Too much to detail here and it ended without any paperwork, but sometimes our spouses/girlfriends whatever need to be reminded that there's a time for discussion and a time to do what you're told by someone with experience in what pre-conflict behavior looks like.

Lol this is good stuff. I told mine "know what else just kind of stands around and watches? Sheep! Until the wolf eats them!" Probably not a great analogy but she got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Like pretty much everything, EDC is an exercise in compromise. If I was "prepared for the worst" like BluesBrother said, I would have my wraparound 3A Kevlar with multi hit 5.56 green tip rated plates front and back, my helmet, 150 round loadout for my rifle, 69 round loadout for my handgun, knee pads, hydration, IFAK, and my radio.

I suppose I could walk around town like that for a bit, but eventually I would get in trouble with my bosses and end up poking holes in my vehicle's upholstery.

I carry a handgun with one reload (which one depends on where I'm going), a swiss army knife, my ID, keys, and a phone. I have a better-than-average first aid kit in the truck along with a ballistic vest and that's pretty much it.

I have always said that the mood on most forums seems to be "Anyone less prepared than I am is a sheep and anyone more prepared than I am is paranoid." This forum is certainly better than most, though! The conversations tend to be fairly civil.

Good read and analogy, points taken

This is a great edc. The only thing i would add is writing utensil and note book. Type of pistol and number of rounds depends on where we are going and whats going on... calculated risk. People think im crazy cause every car i own has life straws, batteries, flashlight, fire starters and a pack of bic lighters in it. I keep 2-3 band aides between my phone and case and a full med kit in each vehicle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The reasons for a gun with lower capacity may be conceal-ability. As I said earlier, the most important thing is to have a gun, then after that a gun in an 'effective' caliber, then a gun that is more shootable (handling, trigger, ammunition capacity ect). Also what sort of opposition or foes do you expect to be in combat with.

One size to fit all is not necessarily the best solution for every problem. As I said before I carry G26 and G19 pistols for concealment and wear very loose clothing. But if I was in shorts and tee shirt I might carry a smaller gun with lower cartridge capacity. For around my estate I am upping the size of what I carry with a G22 with 5 5/8" in cal 40. But I also carry a 5 shot .38 loaded in my pocket with speer shot cartridges.
    What most of us try to do is adequate risk management. More bullets assuming you bother to aim to some extent is better than fewer. But is six shots an absolute deal breaker? That is a choice that we all can make here.
    What you carry must be the best choice for you in your mind for your circumstances.
    If you are young and poor it might be an 8 shot HiPoint pistol is your best choice.
    We have a winner!

Combatcarl43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many rounds are fired in typical self defense case
    Majority of the time "historically" bad guy "nopes" out when he discovers you have a gun. But that was in the olden days with a High trust Society and Rule of law.. Now days I would expect 2 or more. That being said typical for me is G19 with 1-2 reloads and another in the truck depending on where/what I'm doing.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting into the ground.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Still the best defense is the Mark 1 eye ball if it looks, smells ,sounds sketchy back out before it sets off . Many bad guys are street combat vets that started with hands on and now a sideways stolen glock ....they will use it . It is a concept alien to most of us but this is what they do for a living and they do not practice firearm safety and WILL NOT HESITATE to shoot .

Themumfordman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting into the ground.

I think this is the part that gets both badly viewed by a large chunk of Americans (and almost all of Europe) but there is an undeniable truth to it. You can call it “neutralizing the threat” but the reality is that in many cases when the aggressor has chosen the path of violence nothing but equal force will ultimately end said threat. As much as we who carry must be wary of over-use of force when not necessary, when it’s time to actually pull the trigger you have to be prepared to end the threat permanently if that’s what is required to save lives.

chef_josh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    This is an interesting thread. Statistically, yes, 6 rounds will cover it. But also… statistically… you don’t need a gun… ever.

I have found myself looking at the state of things, and I’ve changed my daily load out considerably back to what I used to carry.

I got rid of my p365, because while it was a lot more comfortable to carry than a G19, I don’t ever want to have to fight with one. So I’m back to G19 with trl7 and a 26 riding backup. I also carry more spare mags and med supplies.

The FBI releases their crime stats every year, and for the past couple decades, your chances of multiple attackers during an altercation were slightly above 53%. I believe that number will continue to rise significantly.

I’m expecting to see a dramatic increase in both petty and organized crime in the coming weeks.

chef_josh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    That's a very specific timeframe. Election stuff or do you think something else is imminent?
    I believe there are a lot of historical examples before us that are clear indicators. We’ve watched this happen to several countries in my lifetime- Brazil, Venezuela, the Soviets in the 90’s, etc. Furthermore, there’s a lot of empire examples to learn from as well. The average lifespan of any empire fell in under 225 years (Greeks, Romans, Mongols, etc.).

It’s going to go from “that wouldn’t ever be us” to “wtf just happened” in a matter of days. Total chaos. War and violence are imminent and unavoidable at this point. We’ve long crossed the point of no return.

Brockskennedy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I lean towards carrying a gun in a caliber that you shoot well, in a gun that you can control, with the most round capacity that you can take in a comfortable package that you will consistently carry. If that is a smith 442 than you are already doing better than most. By carrying a firearm we are already being prepared for an unlikely contengency. To handicap yourself by limiting rounds isn’t a great idea. One of the other comments responded to someone that said six rounds is enough, until it isn’t. I agree with this statement. Carry the most capable gun you can while also carrying consistently.

I carry a full size p30 95% of the time. In other cases I carry a pm9

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom