• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The FN and Sig mags are nuts price wise. On the steel frame Sigs I’ve had really good luck with the Mec-Gar ones for half the price, but nothing like finding mags for a Glock. It’s unfair how much cheaper they are, and in the end they all do the same job.

And then there’s the HK ones, but you need a loan to buy those…
    Yep, and it influences my firearm buying. I'd like to try some of the new ones but WILL NOT pay collector level prices for current production mags. YMMV. Remember I'm the nut that carries a 6rd cc.Carring it as I type this btw, lol.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yep, and it influences my firearm buying. I'd like to try some of the new ones but WILL NOT pay collector level prices for current production mags. YMMV. Remember I'm the nut that carries a 6rd cc.Carring it as I type this btw, lol.
    True. Most expensive mags I have are for my Sig229. I agree with you - and refuse to get into a platform with expensive ($30 or more) mags. It’s money wasted that I could spend on ammo.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a competitive shooter, the most I’ve ever spent was $125 per mag for STI/Staccato custom tuned mags with basepads from Brazo’s Custom Guns. I bought five.

They have a process where they re-shape the mags to hold more ammo with the same interior dimensions.

ParrishGhost

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always look back say 120 years where the real chance of having to use a Firearm for people or critters was a thing. The side loading 6 seemed to have worked well for the purpose so why not 6 today? Have criminals gotten tougher? Braver? Running in packs?
    It wasn't that they only needed 6. The revolver was limited to a certain number of rounds per cylinder. Larger calibers were only 5 not 6. Smaller could be 8 or 9. Let's go back 200 years when you only needed 1 round and a flint. Or before that when you only needed 1 spear or a rock. Evolution of protection.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It wasn't that they only needed 6. The revolver was limited to a certain number of rounds per cylinder. Larger calibers were only 5 not 6. Smaller could be 8 or 9. Let's go back 200 years when you only needed 1 round and a flint. Or before that when you only needed 1 spear or a rock. Evolution of protection.
    If you could afford you carried two guns and/or sword to back up the single shot. But 200 hundred years ago semiautos were not around and the first working colts were not around for sale until 1836. For a bow you carried a quiver of arrows and not just one. A slinger carried a bag of rocks. People were quite aware of the need for more than one projectile.

Since we have the ability to have multiple projectiles, the question is if 6 is enough or not.

Larger calibers were only 5 not 6.
    44's in the 1840's carried 6 rounds and that is what they carry today.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I would like to have on hand [pun] 25 + what is in the guns magazine but in some cases [another pun] [this is getting punny] I would start to run afoul of CONCEALED carry laws with shorts and t shirt so for me there has to be a trade off. This week a SW 340 [5 shot 357] is coming in for me, its use is summertime CC wear in the pocket with 2 speed loaders ,colder weather attire gets a 2.5 python with 2 speed loaders . Both snubskis are bad breath range/ get off me defense/ one shot ninja be dead magnums. that i hope will never be used in that role . I do have a box of 20 unopened in the car

ParrishGhost

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you could afford you carried two guns and/or sword to back up the single shot. But 200 hundred years ago semiautos were not around and the first working colts were not around for sale until 1836. For a bow you carried a quiver of arrows and not just one. A slinger carried a bag of rocks. People were quite aware of the need for more than one projectile.

Since we have the ability to have multiple projectiles, the question is if 6 is enough or not.

44's in the 1840's carried 6 rounds and that is what they carry today.
    You get my general point with your response. Of course they had more arrows or knives on them. However, they needed to draw them from a quiver which takes time. It would be no different than a single shot and you have a holster full of ammo.

They were not all 6 rounds. Colt made 5 round variants.

1709301902061.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You get my general point with your response. Of course they had more arrows or knives on them. However, they needed to draw them from a quiver which takes time. It would be no different than a single shot and you have a holster full of ammo.

They were not all 6 rounds. Colt made 5 round variants.

View attachment 274252
    We mostly all agree is that one is not enough. Now days in package that held originally one or two, now we can have 15-17 shots. So do we need just 6 or do we need more?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom