• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My goal is 2-3. Not 'cause I think I need it, but because of y'all's government adoption of the 9mm, I'm firmly indoctrinated to shoot that way. Can't stop myself...

Your pic is pretty much my EDC, with LS on the rail, and I do carry a spare mag.

Disclaimer: I know, I know. Lasers work both ways. It's all how you employ it. Mine will only come on if/when I gotta get a shot(s) off and can't raise the gun to get a good sight picture.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    1 is all you need if you hit your target, but you plan for the worst and hope for the best. There are MANY scenarios where 5-6-7 would not be enough. I imagine it is a sickening feeling to run out of ammo and watch the bad guy walk up and give you a coup de gras. Remember the scene in lone survivor ? I prefer high capacity .9mm.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i carry a 442 with a speed loader and speed strip mostly. i don't feel under gunned and i train often. i suggest ALWAYS carrying a reload, even if for malfunctions only. better to have more ammo than less...

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    1 is all you need if you hit your target, but you plan for the worst and hope for the best. There are MANY scenarios where 5-6-7 would not be enough. I imagine it is a sickening feeling to run out of ammo and watch the bad guy walk up and give you a coup de gras. Remember the scene in lone survivor ? I prefer high capacity .9mm.
    What happens if there're more than one perp? I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I carry a full mag and one in chamber total 16. I always carry the same weapon, always. My little pea brain doesn't like to think about what are the differences between what I carried yesterday and what I'm carrying today. I should get in the habit of carrying another full magazine. I've not found a mag holster I like or tried for that matter. Maybe weight for some is an issue. It's not for me.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    every blue moon i will forget to carry speedloaders...

makes me feel naked
    I know what you mean . Summer clothing is coming up too and I wonder if my 2.5 python is gonna "fit in " , being an old fudd i hate the idea of looking into a pocket auto min. 9 mm but that 45 looks sweet but first will check out 5 shot 357 ,s for CC in shorts n t shirt

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just yesterday watched a video where a former Delta team leader was talking about how much ammo does someone need. Boiling down a much larger presentation, he concluded that you should allot three rounds per adversary unless your role is suppressive fire in a military/battlefield context.

The mood of his video was really "If you start feeling like you need tons of ammo, maybe it's time to hit the flat range to make sure you don't suck at shooting."

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    I always look back say 120 years where the real chance of having to use a Firearm for people or critters was a thing. The side loading 6 seemed to have worked well for the purpose so why not 6 today? Have criminals gotten tougher? Braver? Running in packs?
    Yes to all. You forgot bolder. Think nyc, chicago, d.c. l.a., any dem run city. You didn't touch on the ones that could have benefited from more rounds but alas died for lack of a shot. Another profound statement to ponder, "better to carry and not need than to need and not carry. IMO

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    What happens if there're more than one perp? I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I carry a full mag and one in chamber total 16. I always carry the same weapon, always. My little pea brain doesn't like to think about what are the differences between what I carried yesterday and what I'm carrying today. I should get in the habit of carrying another full magazine. I've not found a mag holster I like or tried for that matter. Maybe weight for some is an issue. It's not for me.
    Here is the mag holder I looking at. Will probably order it soon

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yes to all. You forgot bolder. Think nyc, chicago, d.c. l.a., any dem run city. You didn't touch on the ones that could have benefited from more rounds but alas died for lack of a shot. Another profound statement to ponder, "better to carry and not need than to need and not carry. IMO
    Yes, but the sketchest place I go is pcola so I'm probably safe.lol. Been to those democrap utopias and NEVER going back. I'll stay in the woods with the bees and crazy little weeds.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If anyone is aware of a self-defense shooting where the good guy died because they ran out of ammunition I would love to see that link. Not saying it hasn’t happened, but my Google-fu did not bring any comfirmed accounts. I have seen where the good guy expended all the ammo they had because they were panic firing, but they ran the suspect off and lived.

Edit: The videos are from Paul Howe of Operation Gothic Serpent (oct 3, 1993, Mogadishu). It is a three part series of short videos you can find by searching “paul howe how much ammo.”

Gumby Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doesn’t matter what you’re shooting, making the threat no longer relevant is the point.
    We all have read those crazy stories.
    Woman working in grocery store some years ago was shot either 4 or 6 times with a 44 mag and lived. Another story about a guy takes 1 round of 22 to the chest and dies right off. Knew a cop who shot a guy 6 times with a 38spl. Only thing that stopped him was the 6th round with the barrel resting right between the eyes of the deranged perp.
    I edc’ed a smith snubby 357 for years, very easy to carry but after reading where a guy had to fight off a mob, made me find something with more.
    Everyone is different so find that “1” that works for you and make sure you are as good with it as you can be. The day is approaching your going to need it.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Yes, but the sketchest place I go is pcola so I'm probably safe.lol. Been to those democrap utopias and NEVER going back. I'll stay in the woods with the bees and crazy little weeds.
    Trouble is when they flee the law where do they run? "The woods with the bees and crazy little weeds." Granted they're not the sharpest knife in the drawer. However, they're survival instincts are well honed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom