• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    *UPDATED PICS*

Exactly... it can be a crap-shoot, so you just have to experiment. Weight on the barrel doesn't necessarily harm accuracy, it affects it... and the effect can be positive. I tried a heavy Cobray megaphone (wish I had weighed it before loctiteing) on my Mini (Model 5888)... on, off, on, off, on, off... invariably tightened the groups with every kind of ammo I had (though it did lower the POI a bit), so it stays on now. Note that this Mini was bought specifically to fill the "5.56 AK" niche... I wasn't looking for a "snapper raffle" : )

View attachment 260495
    View attachment 260496

This is what it does: First target pic (2-inch dot @100 yds.) has dime next to group of three Hornady Superformance Match 5.56 75 gr. BTHP, its favorite ammo so far. Two in one figure-8 hole (low/left) and the third at top left of the dime... I mis-numbered one hit (two #2s), probably because I was so excited (.875" 3-shot group : ) These were the first three shots fired after a complete tear-down & cleaning, including R&R scope.

View attachment 259028

Second target pic has dime moved to show third shot from the subsequent 3-shot group of bulk Federal .223 55 gr. So we now have four of six shots, with two extremes of ammo types, in the .875" group. I try to average my zero over the variety of ammo I have on hand for the rifle... since it's not a "match-queen", more of a "run watcha' brung"... and, viola! The average POI of the two 3-shot groups, with two extreme loads, is 1/4" from dead-center (small crosshair mark).

View attachment 259029

As for higher round-count groups, a recent 100 yd., 10-shot group w/PMC Bronze .223 55 gr., which I had sworn I wouldn't buy again due to previous crappy results, got 7/10 in the 2-inch dot (I counted the one touching the dot as "in"), with the 8th only 1/4" out, so, not too shabby even with the "crappy" stuff. Couldn't hit that dime to save my live, though! : )

And keep in mind: I'm blind as a bat, and not a good shooter! The rifle can do better!

View attachment 260497
    UPDATED PICS! (click up-arrow next to "DustyDog said:" instead of clicking "Click to expand...")

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What is bolted to a barrel does affect accuracy. Sometime for the better. My mak 90 seemed to shoot better. It is common to put a truss on some of the early Mini14s to improve accuracy.
    ultimak
    View attachment 258986

For mini 14 accuracy: i do not know if it works. We are not talking sob moa and where 4 moa would be a big improvement.

View attachment 258987
    And don't forget the Target Minis with the adjustable "harmonic damper" on the end of the barrel... almost bought one of these back in 2013, but it turned out the the clerk at Walmart that took my money (somewhere in the $700 range) didn't know how to check availability. It wasn't available, so they had to refund. Remember: the standards were only $425 at Walmart at the time, and now the MSRP for a standard is $1259! I think that's what they call "Bidenomics"!

Mini-14 Target.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And don't forget the Target Minis with the adjustable "harmonic damper" on the end of the barrel... almost bought one of these back in 2013, but it turned out the the clerk at Walmart that took my money (somewhere in the $700 range) didn't know how to check availability. It wasn't available, so they had to refund. Remember: the standards were only $425 at Walmart at the time, and now the MSRP for a standard is $1259! I think that's what they call "Bidenomics"!

View attachment 260534
    No mini is worth that price. But in some places since it does not have the pistol grip black plastic evil look it may be legal and ARs not legal.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    (2) books that every AK owner should own is Gun Digest Shooters Guide To AK's (written by Marco Vorobiev former Russian SpetsNatz soldier). Guns & Ammo AK-47 (book not magazine) Both are also available on Amazon Kindle.

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll probably be tempted due to price, but I would strongly (strongly) suggest avoiding anything American made with the possible exception of K-USA's line. Hard pass on Century's line of rifles (C39, VSKA, RAS47, BFT47). Don't even touch anything made by IO or Pioneer. Avoid anything with a Hesse stamp on it (that goes for all rifles, not just AKs). PSA's line of rifles look great but have largely mixed reviews, especially the small bore variants (5.56 and 5.45 guns). Their 7.62 guns are supposedly good now but I still see reports of absolute lemons making their way out.

Arsenal used to be top dog but their QC on new rifles dropped into the toilet the past couple years. Inspect your rifle closely if you choose Arsenal. I've heard mixed things about Riley Defense; had hands on a couple of their rifles and they looked okay but felt kinda cheap.

Honestly it's a rough time to get into AKs. Zastava remains a solid option, although they do not take standard AK furniture. WASRs are too expensive for what they are but they are still available and are overall good rifles (just do your own QC check / inspect it thoroughly when you get it). WBP makes a very nice AKM clone out of Poland. There are still some Polish Beryl rifles floating around out there as well. Atlantic Firearms makes extremely nice parts kit builds for decent prices.
    Thanks for the info...concur with Zastava...they make a good product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom