• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Also been reading about over gassing on the actions. I have an idea how to fix this. Doing more reading, research. I know the gas hole, port in my wasr is huge vs AR.

AKs are over gassed by design - it’s part of the reason they have their reputation for reliability (in addition to loose tolerances and simplicity).

If you want a fairly simple way to tame the gas, I’d go with a KNS gas piston. You can get more complicated with adjustable gas blocks but that requires pressing off barrel components. Lot of good videos on the KNS.

There’s also recoil springs from Wolff and ALG that help.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    AKs are over gassed by design - it’s part of the reason they have their reputation for reliability (in addition to loose tolerances and simplicity).

If you want a fairly simple way to tame the gas, I’d go with a KNS gas piston. You can get more complicated with adjustable gas blocks but that requires pressing off barrel components. Lot of good videos on the KNS.

There’s also recoil springs from Wolff and ALG that help.
    To be honest I have yet to shoot it, dont want to scare off all the deer with the soviet cannon!

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I think from alot of reading they ( or some of them) have CAST trunions. A very bad idea.
    My 2022 VSKA has milled trunions out of S-7 tool steel. S-7 is a tool steel commonly used in jack hammer bits and excavator teeth. Not sure about the older ones. I am at about 1800 rds with zero problems. It is more accurate than my Yugo AK!

SLTW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What break, fh yall using. I have the slant but it was designed for right handed shooters, which I'm not. Looking at the standard ak74 type.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Looked at this one too. View attachment 260149
    Just my 2 cents "nyet ,rifle is fine " ...unless you are breaking things /vibrating things off the weapon leave it as designed over gassed besides it protects your right flank with steel casing rain . I shoot left handed and have seen no difference with muzzle brakes helping/hurting one way or another ,resist the temptation to DONK an M777 brake on it . The OEM slant helps on full auto /bump fire but who cares during mag dumps ,its for fun anyway .

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    what issue did it fix or improve ?
    it dampens recoil as a brake. gas hits the baffles pushing the gun forward against the rearward force. gas escapes the side ports. It compensates. upper vents release more gas causing your barrel to be forced the opposite direction of the rise. so less muzzle rise from 10-2 o clock depending on how you set it. for faster follow ups. You can tune its timing to keep yourself on target. It hides flash too. kinda

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    it dampens recoil as a brake. gas hits the baffles pushing the gun forward against the rearward force. gas escapes the side ports. It compensates. upper vents release more gas causing your barrel to be forced the opposite direction of the rise. so less muzzle rise from 10-2 o clock depending on how you set it. for faster follow ups. You can tune its timing to keep yourself on target. It hides flash too. kinda
    i have had no issues with recoil ,i am good with the old slant

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Fixed my loose-ish handguard on the gas tube. Put a short piece of paracord under the spring tensioner. Gtg.
    I really want to keep the wood on it but the lop is ridiculously short. If I put the stock in the crook of my elbow, I can grab the mag. :-( Ideally my hand should fall on the grip. ( from my experience)
    I'll work with it and see.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Fixed my loose-ish handguard on the gas tube. Put a short piece of paracord under the spring tensioner. Gtg.
    I really want to keep the wood on it but the lop is ridiculously short. If I put the stock in the crook of my elbow, I can grab the mag. :-( Ideally my hand should fall on the grip. ( from my experience)
    I'll work with it and see.
    I can't remember where I saw it but somebody makes a slip on butt pad for AK adds maybe 1.5" or so. Of course you could get a Magpul adjustable and call it a day! :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom