• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crap man lets hope this spring and summer is less chaotic up there.. Seems you guys have done it all these past few years.. Wait a minute you see any crickets outside??? You haven't had locusts yet!! :)

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crap man lets hope this spring and summer is less chaotic up there.. Seems you guys have done it all these past few years.. Wait a minute you see any crickets outside??? You haven't had locusts yet!! :)

No locusts, but there has been a bumper crop of those damn Palmetto Bugs....does that count?

Plus this weekend it's forecasted to drop to 24 degrees........

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the Adkins Road Fire and Bertha Avenue fires are still burning, albeit under better control and size. On the other hand the Bertha Swamp Road fire is still a big fire, which is hard to access due to its location.

Bertha Swamp Road - 33,131 acres, 20 percent contained.

Star Ave. Fire - 197 acres, 95 percent contained.

Adkins Ave. Fire - 875 acres, 85 percent contained.

Tuesday morning around 0500, I was heading back to the bedroom and just happened to look out the window. Saw debris going in different directions, the lights were reflecting off of the debris making it visible. Figured it was a tornado, and with it being right across the road from us, made going back to sleep difficult.

Officials later confirmed that what we saw across the road was in fact a tornado it registered as a EF-01 with 95 MPH winds. Not a big one, but still enough to cause damage and get your attention.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gots to know, have the fires died out?? They working on your house yet??

Demo crew showed up Monday and they did a ton of demo Monday and Tuesday. They are away today, since they are waiting on the HVAC, Electricians, and Plumbers to come and do their part.

All the HVAC ductwork is being replaced. There are a few leaks in the stack vent pipes, and an area where behind the wall were the stack vent elbow literally shattered during the storm. Electrician will inspect and in one area relocate some wiring. The backwall of the living room was damn near all glass (2 sliding glass doors), they are going to take them out, re-frame the openings and put one dead center instead. Plus their going to open up the master bathroom floor plan. Old set up had the shower and toilet behind a door, and the vanity area open to the master bedroom. They're going to move the wall and make it all one room.

CINC Household is happy with her changes being approved, happy the rest of the repairs will be done, giving her a clean slate. So if CINC Household is happy, the rest of us are allowed to be happy.

Fire updates.

The Adkins Road Fire and the Star Avenue Fire, last time I checked, are at 90% to 95% contained and no longer pose a threat to us. The Bertha Swamp Road Fire moved North due to winds, is still a big one, but is under better containment, and doesn't seem to pose a threat to us.

First 2 pictures show the back wall in the living room, plus shows part of the work my wife did in the DR. Second 2 pictures show the current master bathroom setup. Pictures show, what I tried to explain better.

20220304_131649.jpg

20220304_131658.jpg

20220304_131714.jpg

20220304_131731.jpg

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Amazing how long those fires can last even after rain. But good you are in the clear. Good luck on the house.

You need to devote your self in the next month to get a real nice firearm that you have or have not been looking for. Some times finding something you have not been looking for can be more sweeter.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Amazing how long those fires can last even after rain. But good you are in the clear. Good luck on the house.

You need to devote your self in the next month to get a real nice firearm that you have or have not been looking for. Some times finding something you have not been looking for can be more sweeter.

LOL, funny you should say that. I was looking at guns and told myself no more until we are back in the house and have my gunroom set up.

Then yesterday my wife pops off with......

"You've been so good and understanding with all this"......

Uh oh ALARMS go off in my head......

She continues with.....

"I saw a sign about an upcoming gunshow, we ought to go, you never know you might find something you want or like"

ALARM in my head is getting louder......Wondering if this is a trap....!

Guess we'll see, I did look online and found out that there is one scheduled for this week-end in Panama City.

If I disappear from here, then it was a trap........!

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL, funny you should say that. I was looking at guns and told myself no more until we are back in the house and have my gunroom set up.

Then yesterday my wife pops off with......

"You've been so good and understanding with all this"......

Uh oh ALARMS go off in my head......

She continues with.....

"I saw a sign about an upcoming gunshow, we ought to go, you never know you might find something you want or like"

ALARM in my head is getting louder......Wondering if this is a trap....!

Guess we'll see, I did look online and found out that there is one scheduled for this week-end in Panama City.

If I disappear from here, then it was a trap........!
    1647547754317.png

Yeah a girl said something similar to me once..

Ended up having to marry her.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On Friday, 25 March a Cease Work order went into effect, on Wednesday 06 April, a Structural Engineer came out to assess the house structure. There is structural damage, and the engineer must decide if it's repairable or if it will be a complete teardown and rebuild.......

Hoping it can be repaired, but getting myself prepared for the worse just in case.

The issues found are two fold.....First after getting some of the siding off the house, some of the studs were cracked, split during the storm (So that's why there is a dip in the roof on that side). Second with the roof being damaged as bad as it was, some parts of the framing was soaked by the rains during and after the storm....which caused some of the framing to rot and attract termites, where the little SOBs had a party. It seems to be all limited to the first floor on one wall, but you never know.

Contractor wants to jack and support and replace the damaged areas, but the Engineer had to evaluated it first before they'll allow that, and the engineer will have final say. The Engineer says once they pull more siding off and they can see if the damage is limited to what is seen so far or more wide spread he'll make the call.

Needless to say my stress level is rising quickly, trying to calm myself down and not put myself into some sort of cardiac episode........We've already put around $60,000.00 into repairs and now we're waiting to hear if it'll be a complete teardown........

I need some range therapy.........

First two pictures show the extent of the roof damage after Hurricane Michael, the last picture, during the eye and the roof structure still intact, shows where the damaged studs and framing have been found.

20181014_094634.jpg

20220410_235814.jpg

20220327_202006.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    On Friday, 25 March a Cease Work went into effect, on Wednesday 06 April, a Structural Engineer came out to assess the house structure. There is structural damage, and the engineer must decide if it's repairable or if it will be a complete teardown and rebuild.......

Hoping it can be repaired, but getting myself prepared for the worse just in case.

The issues found are two fold.....First after getting the siding off the house, some on the studs were cracked, split during the storm (So that's why there is a dip in the roof on that side). Second with the roof being damaged as bad as it was, some parts of the framing was soaked by the rains during and after the storm....which caused some of the framing to rot and attract termites, where the little SOBs had a party. It seems to be all limited to the first floor on one wall, but you never know.

Contractor wants to jack and support and replace the damaged areas, but the Engineer had to evaluated it first before they'll allow that, and the engineer will have final say. The Engineer says once they pull more siding off and they can see if the damage is limited to what is seen so far or more wide spread he'll make the call.

Needless to say my stress level is rising quickly, trying to calm myself down and not put myself into some sort of cardiac episode........We've already put around $60,000.00 into repairs and now we're waiting to hear if it'll be a complete teardown........

First two pictures so the extent of the roof damage after Hurricane Michael, the last picture shows where the damaged studs and framing have been found.

View attachment 161010

View attachment 161012

View attachment 161011
    Love the sign. Some truth in advertising. :)

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    On Friday, 25 March a Cease Work went into effect, on Wednesday 06 April, a Structural Engineer came out to assess the house structure. There is structural damage, and the engineer must decide if it's repairable or if it will be a complete teardown and rebuild.......

The issues found are two fold.....First after getting the siding off the house, some on the studs were cracked, split during the storm (So that's why there is a dip in the roof on that side). Second with the roof being damaged as bad as it was, some parts of the framing was soaked by the rains during and after the storm....which caused some of the framing to rot and attract termites, where the little SOBs had a party. It seems to be all limited to the first floor on one wall, but you never know.

First two pictures so the extent of the roof damage after Hurricane Michael, the last picture shows where the damaged studs and framing have been found.

View attachment 161010

View attachment 161012

View attachment 161011
    Oh man what a headache

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man it keeps coming... Good luck

Well, to ease the pain, CINC Household and I have started looking at it like this. If it's a tear down, we'll end up with a 2022 house, built to the latest codes, versus a 1986 built house with some updated code repairs.....Have to look at the positives over the negatives!

Eases the pain some, but still doesn't make it painless!

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love the sign. Some truth in advertising. :)

A deputy was talking to me about the sign and said well you did warn them. So if it happens, remember to call us, wouldn't want a dead body making the area look trashy.

I replied with, I've got plenty of shovels. To which he said please don't bury them. I followed with, bury them, that's too much work, I'm just going to shove the handle up their asses, and plant the blade in the ground to prop them up like scarecrows in the front yard, next to the sign.

The poor young deputy riding shotgun with him, choked on his Gatorade, and spewed it all over the dashboard and himself. Thought he was going to puke, he was coughing so hard.

As bad as it was, you had to keep a sense of humor......

Had news crews take some footage of the sign, and had a few people take pictures with it. Hell I even got the AR out (Unloaded of course) and let people pose with it next to the sign. Like I said, have to keep the humor going or the stress will kill you......

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh man what a headache

Tell me.....CINC Household, has already told the contractor that if it's a tear down, she wants x amount of time to strip the house.

IE the new kitchen cabinets, all the new ceiling fans (7 ea), new light fixtures (5 ea), all new door hardware, all the new flooring etc, etc. Wife said we'll just use some of it in the shed, in our daughter's and SILs place, and in the garage after we convert it into the new office/gunroom.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I had a concrete block house on a concrete slab get termites long ago before I bought it. Terminix found the old damage when they went to spray and showed me. Little buggers came up thru the hole in the middle of the slab for my interior shower chase. He injected the dirt in that hole with about 5 gallons of poison! Lmao I said something along the lines of "Superfund site" and he finally quit pumping. Those Terminix guys don't play around. They have a gaurantee to stand by. You'd think a concrete house would be safe. Nope.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a concrete block house on a concrete slab get termites long ago before I bought it. Terminix found the old damage when they went to spray and showed me. Little buggers came up thru the hole in the middle of the slab for my interior shower chase. He injected the dirt in that hole with about 5 gallons of poison! Lmao I said something along the lines of "Superfund site" and he finally quit pumping. Those Terminix guys don't play around. They have a gaurantee to stand by. You'd think a concrete house would be safe. Nope.

Tell me, I swear those little bastards can sniff out wood through 10 feet of concrete.

My bothers house up in Colorado, has no wood other than the decking on the roof, it has a metal frame. Works great when they have bad snow, no worries of the structure collapsing under the weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom