• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something as simple as buying in bulk from Sam's, or the new BJ's opening next week is a good start...
    having a couple cases of SPAM/vienna sausages/potted meat on hand is a life-saver!

Dried beans last for years. Canned veggies and soups are easy.

The trick is having a decent store-room for it all...a good sized closet or pantry is a must.
    The other thing is ROTATION...First In, First out.
    Cute thing to do is build can holders from wood, in your favorite sizes.
    Campbell Soup size, Progresso soup sized, Spaghetti Sauce sized, etc...great thing is those can be mounted vertically so that you put them in at the top, and remove from the bottom for ease of FIFO...you can also make multiples and hinge the end so you can basically make doors of food ;)
    can-storage.jpg

And you can use this style if you don't want wide wall coverage, but still want FIFO ease...

can shelves-159.jpg

Attachments

• can shelves-159.jpg
      can shelves-159.jpg
      27.4 KB · Views: 230
    • can-storage.jpg
      can-storage.jpg
      113 KB · Views: 216

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also...dried milk. Powdered, in other words...long shelf life, just add clean water.
    A case per person is a good idea. Use for making Kraft Mac & Cheese & other cooked dishes during normal times.

Speaking of Mac & Cheese...two types. The kind that requires milk, and the Velveeta kind.
    All you need is boiled water for the Velveeta kind...sauce is contained in a long-storage pack.
    Re-use the noodle water after it cools to drink...loads of vitamins in there!!
    Add a pinch of salt & a spoonful of sugar & it's a cut-rate Gatorade...

As mentioned above, the powdered kind requires a milk product. So you boil the noodles,
    then re-use the boiled noodle water to make the powdered milk & the cheese sauce! TAADAA!

If all one does is simply start buying everything they normally use in bulk,
    it should give you at least a month's supply of your regular diet.
    So join that Buyer's Club!!

Meanwhile, also stock up on face masks.
    Better to look like Darth Vader than be croaked.
    Wear gloves in public. Even cloth gloves are better than nothing.
    At least you can wash them and re-use.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My experience with beans, rice, etc, that it needs to be properly stored to keep the critters out and even then there still may be an egg or two in the bag/package. What stopped me was the time needed to get Mylar bags, seal them with oxygenators, and them put them into a screw top five gallon buckets.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Something as simple as buying in bulk from Sam's, or the new BJ's opening next week is a good start...
    having a couple cases of SPAM/vienna sausages/potted meat on hand is a life-saver!

Dried beans last for years. Canned veggies and soups are easy.

The trick is having a decent store-room for it all...a good sized closet or pantry is a must.
    The other thing is ROTATION...First In, First out.
    Cute thing to do is build can holders from wood, in your favorite sizes.
    Campbell Soup size, Progresso soup sized, Spaghetti Sauce sized, etc...great thing is those can be mounted vertically so that you put them in at the top, and remove from the bottom for ease of FIFO...you can also make multiples and hinge the end so you can basically make doors of food ;)
    View attachment 80979

And you can use this style if you don't want wide wall coverage, but still want FIFO ease...

View attachment 80978

Now I like this idea.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The Mormons are big on being prepared. They require church members to have 1 year of food on hand.

My mom is a Jehovah Witness, and they recently started talking about being prepared, and put out basic information on suggested items and recommended one week of food. I told her, like I told my sons, I recommend a minimum of two weeks; but more is better!

Water IS critical, so an initial store and some way to filter is well advised. For initial storage Google Water Bob. I have one in a closet and may get a second one. Only issue is to be able to fill up in the event of an outage of service, which may be tricky.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Water- I put three big blue barrels under the valleys on my metal roof. Under the guise of stopping it from making holes in the yard. We use it for decrotive plants and food plants. They grow like mad when you stop " poisoning " them with city water . Wife is happy and we have extra water.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Mormons are big on being prepared. They require church members to have 1 year of food on hand.

My mom is a Jehovah Witness, and they recently started talking about being prepared, and put out basic information on suggested items and recommended one week of food. I told her, like I told my sons, I recommend a minimum of two weeks; but more is better!

Water IS critical, so an initial store and some way to filter is well advised. For initial storage Google Water Bob. I have one in a closet and may get a second one. Only issue is to be able to fill up in the event of an outage of service, which may be tricky.

The hot water heater is always a potential source of some water.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So is the toilet tank, bathtub, a 55 gallon drum and a water buffalo. But I've never seen or heard of losing water pressure during a power outage. Go figure.
    In my area the two utilities are completely separated. You could lose power and have water and then again you could have power and not water. I think that only skeleton personnel are needed by both utilities to deliver their product. Billing and maintenance are not so much needed for term function.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess you live in a lone fucked up section of town. As I said, I have never known of not having water when there's no power, since the water delivery is based on pressure, not power.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess you live in a lone fucked up section of town. As I said, I have never known of not having water when there's no power, since the water delivery is based on pressure, not power.

During storms the water line can be broken. I am not sure how going up an down hills is handled. Engineers have all sorts pressure valves then there are water towers that require a pump to fill. In fact the wells are not artesian in my town. I see back up generators in the areas of what looks the pump house for the water tower and I believe water well. I have never lost my pressure, but it can happen during a hurricane if enough houses get destroyed and no one cuts the water off to the damaged homes.
    The sewer lines do have pump lift stations and in my neighborhood do have back up generators that when the power was off would be manually run every so often. When is not done there will be sewage pouring out of the lift stations into the creeks.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hmm let's see, it went from coronavirus to having water stored in a hotwater tank to a hurricane disrupting water supply.
    Geez, for someone who portrays they know it all, as if an authoritative figure on everything that's said, you sure double talk alot. Did you forget if there was an earthquake it could knock out the water tower? Or if God came right now, you wouldn't need water?
    Did you know that the pumps have emergency generators that kick in when there's a power outage? Maybe you need to research a little more before you throw in your absolute bullshit. "nough said.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As mentioned in the caption, there are additional pumps and valves in such a system.

distribution_system_diagram_3_0.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm let's see, it went from coronavirus to having water stored in a hotwater tank to a hurricane disrupting water supply.
    Geez, for someone who portrays they know it all, as if an authoritative figure on everything that's said, you sure double talk alot. Did you forget if there was an earthquake it could knock out the water tower? Or if God came right now, you wouldn't need water?
    Did you know that the pumps have emergency generators that kick in when there's a power outage? Maybe you need to research a little more before you throw in your absolute bullshit. "nough said.
    I do not know it all and I do mention back up generators. People correct me all of the time and when I am wrong I greatly appreciate it.
    From previous post.
    I see back up generators in the areas of what looks the pump house for the water tower and I believe water well.
    Yes I could do more research and you could have a little more courtesy.
    PS. I was once involved in doing some consulting work for ECUA (A local water, sewage, waste utility in NWFL) on their water quality. Not their distribution system and I am retired from UWF where I did environmental work. I am not a civil engineer.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Florida's Cherry got busted: two "Presumptively Positive Cases. FL. Gov to Declare a State wide Public Health Emergency!

Fine print says Risk is still LOL

http://www.floridahealth.gov/
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article240792871.html/

Thanks, Link says
    counties of Manatee and Hillsborough.
    So the cases seem to be in the Tampa Bay area. Not good. The next couple days I will be shopping and by next wk I may start staying away from public places. Not good.

Top Bottom