• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I think most us are prepared for most scenarios. It doesn't hurt to stock up on supplies or at least check your hurricane inventory and make a list, for just in case. Most of our usual supplies will get us through most situations. However it may not be this flu virus, but eventually, you have to think about self quarantining yourselves for a month or so. Whole new ballgame. What is the best caliber for shooting zombies and do you really need a head shot to stop them? Boy Scout Motto- be prepared.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My wife and I, both with medical backgrounds and retired, do take it seriously. We are taking what we think are reasonable precautions to reduce our exposure to the general public, should a pandemic occur (we don't see how it couldn't occur this time based upon all we've heard, read, and researched, but we hope for the best). We are older, so more at risk of worse outcomes.

For example: Stocking up on some items with the intention that we'll have to do less being out in the public. We normally have 2 weeks of goat, cat, and dog feed on hand. We now have enough on hand for 2 months, meaning less public exposure. It'll all get used up anyway, so there is no waste involved. Simple and easy for us to do. Went and bought 5 books of stamps today...again, less trips to the Post Office.

We have disposable gloves to wear if we need to go out for something during a pandemic, say buying gasoline and touching where a myriad of others have touched. Yes, one can wash hands frequently (if facilities are available), but with disposable gloves on, you are more aware to not touch your face, mouth, nose, eyes. I know, I know the "experts" don't recommend wearing gloves, just washing hands, but go to Harbor Freight...disposable gloves are like $7.99 for 100. One box of medium for my wife and one box large for me. We can always use them when cleaning hogs or guns or toilets or the oven or painting or changing oil. Multiple uses, so there is no waste involved.

My driver's license expires in May. Contacted DMV yesterday...you can come in and get it renewed early. Today I got it renewed, so that eliminated another trip out closer to May when who knows what will be going on. If nothing happens, my license is still good for 8 more years. I'll renew our vehicle tags by mail. I always have a few gas cans freshly full come hurricane season. Tomorrow I'll have accomplished that and put the older gas into the vehicles. Just all simple stuff that one would be buying and using anyway. Again, no waste.

More exotic, we do have N95 masks if absolutely needed, but to properly use them, I'll need to shave my beard back. We always have N95's on hand.

Think of ways you and your family can reduce the need to be in the public during a pandemic. Public exposure can't be entirely eliminated, but it can be reduced for a while, and that my be enough to prevent becoming ill.:fear:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good idea to stock up. I was getting ready to throw out my older canned food. But will keep it through summer. I generally get between 50 to 100 lbs of dog food, but will keep at least two 50 lb bags in reserve and use another 50 lbs bag to feed them out of. For me the starchy foods are cheapest like rice and beans. I got a lot of firewood and can cook out side if the power fails and I have candles. I need to stock up on vitamins. I need to get a 12 volt solar charger and similar things. I just keep putting it off.
    I hope by the time it gets here it has evolved to become milder. some diseases do that. The carriers have to be healthy enough to escape detection and some people seem to be asymptomatic.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take 10,000 IU's of vitamin D3 daily and you'll be fine. I've been doing it for 15 years and have yet to get the flu. Keep hand sanitizer handy and use it. As my daddy used to tell me....."Don't mess with anybody sick or broke". This is the Panhandle so dodging broke people won't be easy but maybe we can avoid sick people easier.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Might have to hole up a lot longer than 30 days for that type of epidemic to die out.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This Link was just added 9 hours ago, on the Wuhan "Institute of Virology" is newer in construction in 2015 and Bio Safety Level 4. Seems China is building a bunch of them. Could be because they have had "escapes" before (SARS). It mentions the News report that that it could be the Source and other News is calling that reporing conspiracy theories. There's good info there but the last line of text from U.S. molecular biologist R.h. Ebright tomthe Chinese BBC:

"While Ebright refuted several of conspiracy theories regarding the WIV, he told BBC China that this did not represent the possibility of the virus being "completely ruled out" from entering the population due to a laboratory accident."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Institute_of_Virology

Its also strange how an "Official Chinese" Coronavirus Statistics site dropped cases and deaths drastically once the site got world wide notice and numbers conflicted with the Chinese Gov propaganda. Just like the SARS and MERS outbrakes: China does not share information and goes to great lenghts to prevent China & its Government from looking bad. Is this another conspiracy theory, an attempt to prevent civil, business nd world stock market Panic? Markets tanked the last two days anyway.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ese-conglomerate-lists-death-toll-24-589.html

Either way, I'm not going to do a thing regarding prep/prevention with this coronavirus. If I start showing symptoms: I'm taking couple $Grand$ and party like its 1969 and not give a shit about what tomorrow brings. Being alive and "Living" are two different things. I don't fear the Boogerman even if its Charlie incarnate. Lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I start showing symptoms: I'm taking couple $Grand$ and party like its 1969 and not give a shit about what tomorrow brings. Being alive and "Living" are two different things. I don't fear the Boogerman even if its Charlie incarnate. Lol
    You need to figure just how much party time and just how much money that will be needed for the time you have between first symptoms and being so sick that you can not do anything. It seems to vary. The older you are, the faster will be serious or fetal aspects of the disease if you are one of those that will die from it.

A study of these cases found that the median days from first symptom to death were 14 (range 6-41) days, and tended to be shorter among people of 70 year old or above (11.5 [range 6-19] days) than those with ages below 70 year old (20 [range 10-41] days.[6]
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#days

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This Link was just added 9 hours ago, on the Wuhan "Institute of Virology" is newer in construction in 2015 and Bio Safety Level 4. Seems China is building a bunch of them. Could be because they have had "escapes" before (SARS). It mentions the News report that that it could be the Source and other News is calling that reporing conspiracy theories. There's good info there but the last line of text from U.S. molecular biologist R.h. Ebright tomthe Chinese BBC:

"While Ebright refuted several of conspiracy theories regarding the WIV, he told BBC China that this did not represent the possibility of the virus being "completely ruled out" from entering the population due to a laboratory accident."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Institute_of_Virology

Its also strange how an "Official Chinese" Coronavirus Statistics site dropped cases and deaths drastically once the site got world wide notice and numbers conflicted with the Chinese Gov propaganda. Just like the SARS and MERS outbrakes: China does not share information and goes to great lenghts to prevent China & its Government from looking bad. Is this another conspiracy theory, an attempt to prevent civil, business nd world stock market Panic? Markets tanked the last two days anyway.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ese-conglomerate-lists-death-toll-24-589.html

Either way, I'm not going to do a thing regarding prep/prevention with this coronavirus. If I start showing symptoms: I'm taking couple $Grand$ and party like its 1969 and not give a shit about what tomorrow brings. Being alive and "Living" are two different things. I don't fear the Boogerman even if its Charlie incarnate. Lol

I fear zombies.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    "I fear zombies."

Ah Ha, but no need to fear zombies if you have some Hornady Zombie ammo on hand.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    went to Walmart, used their wipes in store and again on the way out. Did not see folks in masks, stayed away from people as much as possible and used self checkout. Got wipes and Lysol for house use, did not check for masks and gloves there as I already had those in the house. Just being as careful and staying at home as much as I can.

Helped for the 4th time in recent memory folks in the parking lots get a jump for a dead battery. Has made it easy carrying the Beatit portable power and jump off in the truck.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    went to Walmart, used their wipes in store and again on the way out. Did not see folks in masks, stayed away from people as much as possible and used self checkout. Got wipes and Lysol for house use, did not check for masks and gloves there as I already had those in the house. Just being as careful and staying at home as much as I can.

Helped for the 4th time in recent memory folks in the parking lots get a jump for a dead battery. Has made it easy carrying the Beatit portable power and jump off in the truck.

I will be reckless enough to wait for reports in our region of the deep south and then I will get concerned. Likely I will pay more and shop at Wynn Dixie since there are fewer people and likely healthier over that way.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Folks in Bay County have a major problem if the Coronavirus hits here in large numbers. Our two hospitals are still not completely repaired from HM. There is a major shortage of available beds for admitting patients. At one there is a FOUR DAY WAIT to get patients from the Emergency Room into hospital rooms! There are patients on beds in the ER hallways (thing about the collateral exposure if you don't have Coronavirus!). I'm sure they go by medical priority to surgery or cardiac care but then there's the "wait" to move them out of Post Op/Recovery and ICU. Customarily, ambulance patients would be routed equally between the hospitials unless one specialized in cardiology or burn unit. Generally, loading would be equal. It makes no medical sense to take patients to hospitals that are overflowing while another within a few miles has beds available. This tells me their both overflowing. I don't think any hospital has enough airborn infection isolation (negative pressure) rooms to handle a local area epidemic.

I'm not pushing the sky is falling panic, just saying prevention measures may minimize your chances of going into that brier patch.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've not seen any Corona beer commercials lately, I'm sure they're really thrilled with the name of this virus.:rolleyes:

When I was young my mother used to buy those Ayds chocolate flavored diet candies that looked good but tasted awful (at least to this kid). Unsurprisingly their popularity declined when the AIDS disease rose to public awareness. But I doubt the same will happen to Corona.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've not seen any Corona beer commercials lately, I'm sure they're really thrilled with the name of this virus.:rolleyes:

When I was young my mother used to buy those Ayds chocolate flavored diet candies that looked good but tasted awful (at least to this kid). Unsurprisingly their popularity declined when the AIDS disease rose to public awareness. But I doubt the same will happen to Corona.

They came out with a new product and the ad did not go over well with the virus..tragic for marketing, I am sure they are suffering

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Maybe that's why the news keep saying the name really is Covid-19 to deter from association with corona beer?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Folks in Bay County have a major problem if the Coronavirus hits here in large numbers. Our two hospitals are still not completely repaired from HM. There is a major shortage of available beds for admitting patients. At one there is a FOUR DAY WAIT to get patients from the Emergency Room into hospital rooms! There are patients on beds in the ER hallways (thing about the collateral exposure if you don't have Coronavirus!). I'm sure they go by medical priority to surgery or cardiac care but then there's the "wait" to move them out of Post Op/Recovery and ICU. Customarily, ambulance patients would be routed equally between the hospitials unless one specialized in cardiology or burn unit. Generally, loading would be equal. It makes no medical sense to take patients to hospitals that are overflowing while another within a few miles has beds available. This tells me their both overflowing. I don't think any hospital has enough airborn infection isolation (negative pressure) rooms to handle a local area epidemic.

I'm not pushing the sky is falling panic, just saying prevention measures may minimize your chances of going into that brier patch.

Time to open the FEMA camps! ;-)

Top Bottom