• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Folks in Bay County have a major problem if the Coronavirus hits here in large numbers. Our two hospitals are still not completely repaired from HM. There is a major shortage of available beds for admitting patients. At one there is a FOUR DAY WAIT to get patients from the Emergency Room into hospital rooms! There are patients on beds in the ER hallways (thing about the collateral exposure if you don't have Coronavirus!). I'm sure they go by medical priority to surgery or cardiac care but then there's the "wait" to move them out of Post Op/Recovery and ICU. Customarily, ambulance patients would be routed equally between the hospitials unless one specialized in cardiology or burn unit. Generally, loading would be equal. It makes no medical sense to take patients to hospitals that are overflowing while another within a few miles has beds available. This tells me their both overflowing. I don't think any hospital has enough airborn infection isolation (negative pressure) rooms to handle a local area epidemic.

----------------------------------------
    Will the hospitals be able to help sick people in a major outbreak?

Well let's see some numbers:

According to American Hospital Association:

Total staffed beds in America (Private, public and Federal): 924,000

Occupancy rate of those beds (average) 66%

Number of vacant beds 314,000

Average number of vacant beds per state 6,300

Florida population 21,000,000

So that is 1 vacant bed for every 3,333 people. Where do the other 3,332 people go?

Obviously we suffer flu outbreaks every year. Still, if something came along which required hospitalization for even a half of one percent of our population, we would face "challenges".

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Meh, Coronavirus has been around Florida for ages,
    Oh, y'all didn't know that??
    Most of us have already been exposed and have antibodies.
    Frankly, we have very little to worry about.
    Besides, they named it after a typewriter...lol

You notice Kids are mostly unaffected by it?
    It's designed to take out the Elderly by preying on their weaknesses.

ONE OTHER THING...
    China's health care is barely above Witch Doctor level in most areas.
    We have Obamacare, so we're all perfectly safe :)
    Well, technicaly we've just flat out got pretty darn good healthcare in the USA,
    so really, the death toll will be less than that of the regular Flu here...
    so even if it gets freaky in the USA, it still won't come close to good old Rhinovirus.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately, CRVID-19 is a new strain of the Coronavirus. It has not been in FL or the U.S. before. Viruses evolve/mutate and and develop their own immunities to human/animal biology and medical treatments. The exact same reason the composition of whats in a Flu Shot changes every year (its just an educated guess what Flu strain will dominate). Som yers flu hots work well, other years they fail miserably.

Biolabs are still trying to learn CRVID-19s symptomatic progression. A person can be symptomatic and test (kit) negative several times and later be positive. This brings into question if the period of isolation is long enough to catch all th carriers. If positive and then "cured", a person can become symptomatic again and positive again. Does it hide somewhere in the body or hibernate while treatments are active and grow/regenerate when the effects of treatments fade away or is it actually a second exposure causation.

There's little choice but wait and see, hope they are right in all areas and prep/prevent as you see fit.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We can all take comfort in knowing that our government knew about this for weeks/months before they said anything publicly :thumb:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We can all take comfort in knowing that our government knew about this for weeks/months before they said anything publicly :thumb:

The democrats are already using this against Trump. If you are in charge you will get the blame. I am not sure what they could have done about it since the disease was initially in China except buy up stocks of PPE like gloves and masks or similar. A vaccine is said to be more than a year away. The stock market has suffered and this all may have an impact on the upcoming elections.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First Reporting:
    WHO said:
    https://www.who.int/csr/don/05-january-2020-pneumonia-of-unkown-cause-china/en/

CDC said:
    https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00424.asp

First News said:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...019-novel-coronavirus-first-reports-published

The News Article also includes China's misinformation, coverup, or initial downplaying of a past contagion event:

In 2003, Chinese officials covered up a SARS outbreak for weeks before a growing death toll and rumors forced the government to reveal the epidemic. The disease spread rapidly to other cities and countries. More than 8,000 people were infected and 775 died.

Here is a good Timeline Tracker from first report on Countries, cases, deaths.
    https://www.pharmaceutical-technolo...-timeline-of-how-the-deadly-outbreak-evolved/

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 102 yr mother just called me inbetween doing her clothes washing. She has just gotten a call from my brother and sister in law that are both MDs. One is an important person in public health. They were concerned since they were assessing risk of family members to this new virus. Due to her age they considered her highly at risk. My sister in law told her she should stock for at least a month's food and there was a discussion of water and power. She is in Chicago. She said for water she would send her grandson with a bucket to lake Michigan that is near by her condo.
    The point is the medical community thinks about 60% of the population is going to become ill with this current epidemic.
    Come monday I will start buying canned and dry goods for myself. Not much more than I can do about except avoid people and I am already quite antisocial.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think there is a higher health risk from using water from Lake Michigan near the Chicago shore, but I can't dispenser medical advice.
    I mentioned something like that. But not drinking water is relatively more dangerous lol. For myself in Pace, FL I do not have a well. If it got so that the pace water system was not providing water I would first ask my neighbors that have wells about getting some drinking water and if not dig a shallow well next to my creek and using bleach disinfect the water for bacteria. i would be concerned about mercury. About a mile and a half from me is apparently a spring that is highly polluted with mercury that feeds a lake in the woodbine springs subdivision. I am not aware of anyone here testing their wells for toxic metals. In a couple of days you will die if you do not drink water versus much longer for most pollutants.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I should mention chicago gets it drinking water from lake Michigan and the inlet for the water is a bit off shore. From what I remember that water is not too bad and I am not sure what they do to treat it. Years ago they reversed the flow of the chicago river to empty toward the direction of the Mississippi watershed instead of entering lake Michigan.
    The great lakes are one of the treasures of the USA.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Saturday morning when I was loading up 2 months of dog and cat food, 2 Walmart employees (Walmart had more of that critter food on hand than the Whiting Field Commissary) asked why so much? It's none of their business, but they asked nicely, so I said I'm gonna have surgery and need to buy now for when I can't lift heavy bags during recovery.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saturday morning when I was loading up 2 months of dog and cat food, 2 Walmart employees (Walmart had more of that critter food on hand than the Whiting Field Commissary) asked why so much? It's none of their business, but they asked nicely, so I said I'm gonna have surgery and need to buy now for when I can't lift heavy bags during recovery.

I will go monday and start shopping around for can goods for myself and dry food for the dogs and single cat. I suspect those might become in short supply. Once the epidemic gets here people will be stripping the stores of food items and I believe that PPE supplies are also in demand.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will be looking at things like the fake meat products, beans, canned mackerel and what ever is on sale that have some calories and protein. I also need to start a garden that I keep putting off and learning what things in nature I can eat. I found out that young mulberry leaves for example are edible.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's always good to have at least 3 months of food & water on hand.
    Especially in hurricane-prone areas like ours ;)

If Ivan taught me anything, its that the Gov't will help if they can,
    but don't RELY on it. Took almost a week just to cut a path out of
    my neighborhood with all the downed trees. 5 roads in, all
    covered with giant water oaks...some neighborhoods were worse off.

Katrina taught me that even though Gov't wants to help, sometimes
    it cannot get there for awhile...much like us firefighters who attempted
    to get to New Orleans down I-10 simply couldn't...because when
    we reached Mississippi, the debris was impassable.
    Plus the folks in Mississippi needed our help as much as NO did...
    and they weren't shooting at rescuers...so that settled that.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Walmart in Pace was out of dried beans and hand sanitizer last night when I was there around 7:00 pm
    We’re stocking up a couple of months worth and it seemed like everyone else was doing the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's always good to have at least 3 months of food & water on hand.
    Especially in hurricane-prone areas like ours ;)
    I have been lazy, I think everyone should have survival supplies for at least 6 month if not a year along with seeds and not just guns, but also traps, gill nets, hand crank generators, and if you can legally do it small water proof explosives like the old fashion M80 for fishing. I have the guns, because I like guns, but have not followed through on the other things. Society is fragile and it just does not take much to disrupt normal chains of food supply, water, and power. I couple of years ago I researched the topic and did not follow through. There is that Mormon lady, Wendy Dewitt that does food storage I learned a lot from her.

Top Bottom