0   0   0
    ain't it great ??? I been do'n it since 1975...........:heh:
    my dad taught me how...ol'school way.

you will be amazed at what you can accomplish handload'n your firearms

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im 26 and I dont know 1 person that reloads besides people on here. Nobody in my family has ever done it, even though we all grew up shooting.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ^ I grew up shooting on occasion but I don't really remember being taught HOW to do it. More like taught what NOT to do. I got out of it for a long time thanks to the moving around I did with the Air Force. They moved me to Missouri which is where I (finally) got back into it again. That was also when I picked up reloading. Started with a Lee classic turret reloading for 9mm and .40S&W. Now I reload for pretty much every caliber I have. I'm sure that story is pretty close to a lot of folks these days. Or perhaps I'm just more aware of it now.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been shooting since I was a kid. Im really just getting into pistols (that is what Im starting out on reloading too) but I love my rifles and rimfires.. Once I know what Im doing on pistol cartridges I will try reloading some procession stuff for my favorite rifle, my Remington 700 .243. I have got under half inch groups with factory ammo at 100yds but I want 1 hole with 3-5 shots.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been shooting since I was a kid. Im really just getting into pistols (that is what Im starting out on reloading too) but I love my rifles and rimfires.. Once I know what Im doing on pistol cartridges I will try reloading some procession stuff for my favorite rifle, my Remington 700 .243. I have got under half inch groups with factory ammo at 100yds but I want 1 hole with 3-5 shots.

Try some Hybrid 100V in that .243... It really did wonders in my Remington 788 .243... great speed and 1/4" groups at 100 yards with sandbags. Dropped an 8 point in his tracks this year with a 100gr Gameking and 41.5gr of Hybrid 100V running at 2915fps (that's in a 18" barrel too).

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have to deprime before cleaning the brass in a Lyman tumbler? I was thinking I could clean the brass then resize and deprime, then clean the primer pocket with the tool. I don't know just kind of confused.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have to deprime before cleaning the brass in a Lyman tumbler? I was thinking I could clean the brass then resize and deprime, then clean the primer pocket with the tool. I don't know just kind of confused.

If you are going to be using a resizing die to deprime, you would want to clean first so you don't mess up your dies. If you are using a decapping die, it doesn't really matter but your media will get into the primer pocket and flash hole.

1. Tumble
    2. Deprime/Resize
    3. Clean primer pockets, trim, chamfer, debur etc...

That's the method I usually use. I'll generally throw the cases into a sonic cleaner after I'm done to get them super duper clean.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If u want your primer pockets clean yes. My ar I tumble deprime/size, swager if needed then trim then clean again. Pistol just clean an roll.

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually I clean my rifle brass first, then lube, size, deprime, trim, deburr, clean/uniform flash hole and then tumble them again to clean the lube, shavings and fingerprints off the brass. I can just see John shaking his head as he reads this !!!!

Rick

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To crimp or not to crimp .308. Why do you crimp and why do you not crimp? On a side note all I have left to get is primers and a electronic scale and I will be reloading, hopefully will make my first batch of .308 this week. :lever:

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have calipers or a gage for checking the OAL? Ive still got to get some calipers and get a bench built. If i could just get a day off to get it done I would be in business.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No need to crimp for any bolt gun and I have never had a need yet to crimp for my ARs.

One exception. Barnes 130 gr. TSX .308. The factory suggests a light crimp because the bullet shank is so short.

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I crimp .308(7.62x51) it allows for a more uniform release of the projectile. Just me, some folks do it diffrent.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought the Lee Deluxe Die set and it comes with a full length sizer and a collet sizer. What is the difference? Which one should I use for sizing and decapping?

Top Bottom