• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I pulled the trigger and bought the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit, I know it's not the best press but it will not be my only press I just thought it was the right direction to go to get started reloading. I still have other components to buy, but I am getting a lot closer to reloading. :rockon:

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome! You'll love the breech lock setup and that powder measure is a good one! I have a lot of the same equipment that comes with that kit and it works great... the scale is a little tricky to use but it works. Be sure to pick up some reloading trays and you will be ready to go (with the correct dies and components of course).

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrats Stagman, I wish I coukd make myself go get one. Everytime I have enough money, I find something else on the forum to buy. Now it is a scope lol. At least they are good deals and worth while purchases but still dying to get a press. Oh well, it gives me time to get the small odds and ends to go with it before I get it.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome! You'll love the breech lock setup and that powder measure is a good one! I have a lot of the same equipment that comes with that kit and it works great... the scale is a little tricky to use but it works. Be sure to pick up some reloading trays and you will be ready to go (with the correct dies and components of course).

I already have some trays and as for scales I plan on upgrading to digital scales soon, but first I have to buy media and a set of dies. Any suggestions on a set of dies for a .308 and 9mm?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have to disagree. You'll need a trickler to compliment the perfect powder measure, IMO. Mine was pretty inconsistent, so I just kept it adjusted low and used the trickler to top off the charge. I also could never get the scale that came with my kit to work properly. I picked up a Hornady electronic scale for about $35 and it made life much easier.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I already have some trays and as for scales I plan on upgrading to digital scales soon, but first I have to buy media and a set of dies. Any suggestions on a set of dies for a .308 and 9mm?

Most any 308 dies will work, just different brands are designed differently.

For 9mm, I recommend a set with a carbide sizing die. That will keep you from having to lube your cases before sizing. I also prefer a separate crimp die instead of a combo seating/crimp die. I use the Lee 9mm Deluxe die set.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the Hornady and would avoid it if you were to get a trickler. I ended up gluing a heavy lead weight in it and put some non-skid on it. I like the Lee dies and RCBS dies. I have a separate Lee Crimp die for my rifles since I also like to crimp after seating.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm getting in late on this subject, but I've always preached that a good caliper is essential for checking case lengths, O.A.L., verifying bullet diameters and many other chores. Most reloading manuals (if not all) give a blueprint of the case and a standard OAL. Guages can be purchased for this purpose, but having that digital caliper brings a new dimension of accuracy to the game.

Recently, I met a gentleman who could write his own book on this subject. Lets see if he chimes in on this thread.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm getting in late on this subject, but I've always preached that a good caliper is essential for checking case lengths, O.A.L., verifying bullet diameters and many other chores. Most reloading manuals (if not all) give a blueprint of the case and a standard OAL. Guages can be purchased for this purpose, but having that digital caliper brings a new dimension of accuracy to the game.

Recently, I met a gentleman who could write his own book on this subject. Lets see if he chimes in on this thread.

100% agree. I'm an analog guy myself but quality calipers and a set of bullet comparator inserts are must have tools for accurate hand loading of rifle ammo.

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About how much money could I save by reloading my 9mm plinking ammo vs buying something like a 50 rd box of PMC bronze? I know it will vary according to what powders and bullets you buy, but just a in the ball park figure. Thanks!

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About how much money could I save by reloading my 9mm plinking ammo vs buying something like a 50 rd box of PMC bronze? I know it will vary according to what powders and bullets you buy, but just a in the ball park figure. Thanks!

Before the stupidity it was about 50% savings pretty much all calibers using commercial components. With component prices sky high right now its a wash. Anyone that gets into hand loading to " save money" is kidding themselves. The only exception being cast bullet loads. My current cost for 9mm and .40 is approx 8.6 cents per round

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

My current cost to load 9mm using plated bullets is about $.12-13, not counting the cost of brass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom