• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My M1867/96 Danish rolling block arrived today. Matching numbers...check. Mint bore...check. Better condition than described...check. Tight action...check. Field stripped the action, removed the packed grease, relubed and reassembled. Slugged the bore, and it will take my bullets as cast.

Did my first chamber cast. Easier than anticipated. Black marks are where I was measuring it and a 45/70 case every quarter of an inch. It is 11.7x51R. While it will easily chamber a 45/70, a 45/70 is undersize and could split if fired, so that will not be tried.

8B796F18-4616-4B10-8060-35819B689874.jpeg

Jeremyb251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's an idea from a forum. The "what gun stuff did you do today" thread. We could make it a sticky if it' gets popular (enough). It's just a place to to go and yap about Anything or Everything. This may have been a better idea when there was NO ammo to be had.....but......

I went to my local store on base to see if they had anything new and wound up getting the OTIS "B.O.N.E." tool. I'm a gadgety kind of dude and the BONE tool looks useful enough. Figured for $21 I'd give it a try. So, now I need to take my AR out and dirty it up.
    Found 500 rounds of 9mm for $104.00 at Academy. Bought an appendix holster for my Gen4 Glock 17.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What brand and bullet weight? Got any pictures of the ammunition ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    How much undersized ?? Could you fire form some brass ??
    Got a bunch if you wanna give it a try. --- SAWMAN

Starting from the base and going towards the case mouth in 1/4" increments, the RP 45/70 brass is this amount undersize compared to the 11.7x51R chamber. It appears my chamber is on the larger side of the M1867/96 chambers, especially near the case head. Measurements are in inches. 11.7x51R case does have a mild taper.

The .006 at the case mouth is sorta iffy...I was measuring a loaded 45/70 round, so a crimp may have been in place. At the .014 measurement, that's about where a 11.7x51R case mouth would be in the chamber. Due to the jacketed bullet Denmark went to in 1896, the throats were made generous to help handle the higher pressure of the new round, thus 45/70 cases will often chamber although longer that the original round.

Last edited:

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I went and bought the last small pistol primers Ranger firearms had. Paid 5.5 cents per, all they had left was Federal Match so I guess I'm a match grade shooter now. Talked to some fellas about powder and such, hopefully I retained something. Grabbed a rock tumbler at Harbor Freight...factory ought to be up and running in no time...

For info, no small rifle or large pistol left there.

Dylan O'Leary

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loaded 9mm for 1,500fps (124gr.). Need more bullets! Any leads on reload supplies? (Wait, can I ask about leads in this particular forum? Still getting used to this.)

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Received an order of 1000 Berry's 9mm 124 Gr. plated bullets, and have many more various bullets coming soon. Decent, non-panic prices...not the best but certainly not bad. I'll add them to the inventory.

As a side note, I find it curious to read so many posts here where folks are asking where to find common things (i.e. bullets, brass, etc.) that seem to be readily available online. Maybe they're just looking for bargains, or to save shipping, or maybe they're just lazy...Yes, I know it isn't my business, but when I'm doing nothing (which seems to be frequently nowadays) I'll read a post and google the item sought. More often than not I find it. If I can help someone with a hard to find item I'm glad to do it, but for many common items, Google is your friend. YMMV

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a friend call me up and finally give me the nod! You might ask, what is this nod. It was that they as a family were finally ready for a firearm in the home!

I said it's the worst time in the world to finally come to me with this. But he wanted my help! I had taken him shooting once before and he has never been anti gun or even close to that side of the isle. He as a family did not grow up with one. His wife's side did not either. But with all that is going on, it got them thinking and I said I can see what I can do.

Guys,

If you can, make the drive to come see the owners that are getting out of the business at Guns and More in Crestview, FL.

They are selling guns at normal prices and have ammo to go with your gun purchase. They are only going to be around for a few more weeks until the inventory is gone. The two owners are great people and I hate to see them go. But I have purchased almost the last bit of reloading stuff from them at less than pre-panic prices.

If you shoot and reload .40, he's got a deal for you on a huge bucket of .40 brass!!!!

Just great folks!

Top Bottom