• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seriously folks. I do NOT advocate shooting people but after my first incident, then the guys beating hard enough on doors to cause damage, I think we can all agree that there are salesmen, and then there's opportunists, and then there's people with ulterior motives.

When you think about someone coming to your door, knocking, ringing and then pounding on it with their fists, hard enough for structural stressing, what are they thinking?

Could be they're just stupid like a lot of people raised in the last generation. Not taught limits, respect, don't mess with people's property, things like that. Stupid is dangerous.

Or, they're mad. Mad at their shitty situation in life, then add in they think or know you're home but not answering. What do they expect to accomplish? I'm going to decide to answer their demands and then buy their damned steaks? Nope, they know a confrontation is brewing.

Or stoned on something. Not thinking at all.

Or, they plan on coming in one way or another.

Or, all of the above.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You guys are making me feel so happy to live out in the sticks where sales people don't come. Thanks. The Christians come around, and I try to help them, but the same ones never come back. I also have a dog named Pearl - this is her when she was a puppy. I think she would like some steak.

P7070780 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• P7070780 (1024x768).jpg
      P7070780 (1024x768).jpg
      96.3 KB · Views: 187

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have private property and no soliciting signs posted 120 yards before you get to the house at the end of the driveway. When the salesman show up they are met with a firm, but fair "Leave, leave my property, learn to read and don't come back." If they persist I go into full on dick mode and it never ends with them thanking me for my time.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A couple lifetimes ago, when I was in boy scouts, we used to do the door to door popcorn sales every year. The goal was to raise money for summer camp trips, North Carolina, Virginia, we wanted to go to one in New Mexico but it never materialized. The thing was some families had almost enough money to pay bills, let alone buy uniforms or pay for a week long camping vacations and the travel expense to get there. We did the fund raising, and it paid for the kids who's families couldn't, and for the scoutmasters when it could.
    I can't remember the exact year, but one of these such fundraisers resulted in a kid getting stabbed on someone's front porch. It was in pace, back when it was still fairly quiet, and absolutly shocked everyone in the troop. The kid made it ok, the guy was apparently mentally disturbed and went back to the ward he left from.

Moral of the story: door to door sales is not smart. You don't know who's on the other side of the door. Could be Sean, pissed and fed up. Could be me, who doesn't wanna hear your pitch. It could be some dude with half a deck and this new, shiney knife he found in his moms kitchen. Telling them to get lost is doing them a favor, hopefully they get so frustrated they go back to mowing lawns or telemarketing. only so many of the first two before their luck runs out and they find the third.

As far as people in gas stations begging for gas, that's the reason i don't stop at stations off the highway or major roads.

And that's the cool thin about dogs. Something about the chemistry or breeding, most I've ever met treat kids like thier own pups. The most important part of the pack. Growing up my mom had a dog that detested me, took it personal I still my moms attention. But god help the man who tried to approach me or my brother. Dogs are awesome.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Damn! That looks just like my Mastiff!!! Lol.
    She'd duck you up though. One of my step kids friends got a little rough with on of my twins and she very effectively asked him to stop. Good dogs.

Don't get me wrong, I let her bark, but when I'm in front of her, it stops. It's an instinctual kind of thing.

Last edited:

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never had any problems with door to door salesmen in NW Florida. But you know what? They were bad in Central Texas when I was stationed at Hood. Aggressive and pushy. But also VERY well trained and seasoned at what they were doing. I had a couple of old guys nearly pull the wool over my eyes one day, and that's not easy to do. I was an intelligence collector and interrogator in Korea, Germany and Afghanistan. They were legitimate salesmen and were good at what they did. Didn't get anything from me besides a glass of water and a few minutes of shelter on a freezing day, but still. Most others wouldn't have even gotten that.

Had a couple Mexicans approach my door one day, acting thuggish. By that time I already had my pistol by the door. I shut the door with them standing about 10 yards away, so I guess they just moved on. But I heard on TV there were complaints about them sticking their foot in the doorway when people would try to close the door. I'm glad they showed up while I was there AND in my Army multicams (shortly after returning from Afghanistan). The people in the area know what multicams mean as opposed to those ugly ACUs.

I also had a kid (16 or 17) pretended like he couldn't read my big "No Soliciting" sign. I pointed at it and he squinted and slowly read it, purposely mispronuncing it. As I close the door in his face he had this blank stare on his face, like I was being a dick or something for not wanting to buy his shit at 2100 hours!

Never had any issues around this area like we did in Texas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had one back into my patrol car when I was working Broward County in 2000. She offered me a case of steaks if I didn't call it in. When my Lieutenant got there she told him I ran into her truck when she was stopped. I also conducted a traffic stop on a meat truck occupied by 3 "salesmen" on Hwy 20 in Ebro a few years ago. They all were from Louisiana.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In better times door to door sales was more acceptable. Generally speaking there just wasn't that many bad apples in the bunch. My mom did the DTD Avon lady gig a while back in the 60's and I remember a salesman showing up occasionally at the house. As for Boy/Girl Scouts, students selling candy bars and such, I find it very sad that this activity can just no longer be utilized. It taught determination, goal achievement and many other life lessons for the kids. I have and continue to buy the candy bars, cookies, candle and such whenever possible from youngsters when available.

But again, nowadays it's just not a good plan. Very often the kind of people that will take that job are the kinds of people that would just as soon do something less than legal to attain an even better paycheck. There has been a breakdown of societal moors, loss of spiritual compass, values have changed, consequences are no longer consdered. This all leads to, no way to deny it, a more animalistic approach being common amongst people. Add in people are just dumb nowadays. I don't mean folks are being born with a lack of intellectual potential, I'm pointing out a lack of upbringing, not being taught critical thinking skills, in other words common sense has gone out the window.

Thats one of the things I was pointing out with my steak guy stories. I'm not even implying that most of these guys are criminally minded. I'm saying there's a LOT of ignorant, as opposed to stupid, folks walking around. And that can be real dangerous.

Besides, I have studied the subject a bit. There's just not any real money being made by anyone in the occupation. The money that s being made isn't going to the guy walking the roads, it's corporate. Take the Kirby vacuum franchise I mentioned earlier. The owner of that business got paid per trainee. Frankly, he didn't give a shit if a vacuum got sold, it was a numbers game. Get those kids in on Monday, train them, throw them in a van and dump them off in a neighborhood. The class they took was all about the product, very little to nothing about salesmanship, manners, approach or legalities. Someone mentioned a salesman sticking his foot inside to block a door from closing. I've heard of several instances of that. I'm frankly very surprised someone hasn't been shot for that. Yet.

Sawman made reference to a story I told. I didn't mention it n my last post because the idiots in this instance weren't selling steaks. Briefly, it was two young guys that came on my property and tried the front door. When no one answered they came around back and yelled for me in my shop. When I came to the door they started their sales pitch. The more i asked them to leave, the more aggressive they became, i saw their demeanor go downhill and they began attempting to close on me. Both were carrying shoulder bags, supposedly with sales brochures insde. I had to tell one repeatedly to not put his hand anywhere near that bag until finally i had to reinforce my order by displaying my CCW. I marched them off the property and called ECSO who eventually detained them. Next time i will detain them myself until LEO shows up.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was approached by a couple guys in a Tom Thumb parking lot at 2 am a few years ago. They said they were from Louisiana and trying to sell enough steaks to get gas money to make it home. I told them I wasn't interested and didn't have any cash anyway.

About that time the driver starts to approach the back of my truck while the passenger tells me they'll give me a good deal on some steak if I'll fill up their truck with my credit card. At that point I turned toward dumbass #2 (driver), slid my hand under my shirt gripping my pistol. I loudly told him his next step will be his last! They both froze. I told them again I wasn't interested and it was time for them to leave. They jumped into their truck and hauled ass.
    When I went in to pay for my gas the clerk told me I should probably hang around because he had already called the cops about the guys possibly trying to rob me. When the cop got there I told him what happened. He laughed and told the clerk if they come back to call him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

one pet peeve of mine too....people coming up to me while pumping gas...i keep my door open and stand between the door and hose while pumping...

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These bastards drove past the No Trespassing sign at driveway, rang the bell with a No Solicitors sign and another Trespass/Violators Shot sign next to door(I know classy but I don't like visitors). This was the second time I came to the door with with my AK Draco pistol slung on me... I opened the door and told them to get the F#^* off my property ... I'm pretty sure they shit their pants... First time a truck full of rough looking, chainsaw carrying brothers rolled up after disregarded the signs .. The old timer got out 'need trees cut' before I could say anything... they didn't seem too shocked by the AK, guessing not the first white boy to answer the door like that on them. I ended up hiring them to cut a tree down, happy ending. Lol

Those steaks suck ass too... Neighbor got suckered, like a damn shoe.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ain't what I used to be, but still weigh in about 250. One my favorite tactics is to push past the two pits, shut the door behind me, and talk to the little crack heads face to face. It's gotta be over year since they came by my house, but they are still in the neighborhood now and then.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In better times door to door sales was more acceptable. Generally speaking there just wasn't that many bad apples in the bunch. My mom did the DTD Avon lady gig a while back in the 60's and I remember a salesman showing up occasionally at the house. As for Boy/Girl Scouts, students selling candy bars and such, I find it very sad that this activity can just no longer be utilized. It taught determination, goal achievement and many other life lessons for the kids. I have and continue to buy the candy bars, cookies, candle and such whenever possible from youngsters when available. But again, nowadays it's just not a good plan. Very often the kind of people that will take that job are the kinds of people that would just as soon do something less than legal to attain an even better paycheck. There has been a breakdown of societal moors, loss of spiritual compass, values have changed, consequences are no longer consdered. This all leads to, no way to deny it, a more animalistic approach being common amongst people. Add in people are just dumb nowadays. I don't mean folks are being born with a lack of intellectual potential, I'm pointing out a lack of upbringing, not being taught critical thinking skills, in other words common sense has gone out the window. Thats one of the things I was pointing out with my steak guy stories. I'm not even implying that most of these guys are criminally minded. I'm saying there's a LOT of ignorant, as opposed to stupid, folks walking around. And that can be real dangerous. Besides, I have studied the subject a bit. There's just not any real money being made by anyone in the occupation. The money that s being made isn't going to the guy walking the roads, it's corporate. Take the Kirby vacuum franchise I mentioned earlier. The owner of that business got paid per trainee. Frankly, he didn't give a shit if a vacuum got sold, it was a numbers game. Get those kids in on Monday, train them, throw them in a van and dump them off in a neighborhood. The class they took was all about the product, very little to nothing about salesmanship, manners, approach or legalities. Someone mentioned a salesman sticking his foot inside to block a door from closing. I've heard of several instances of that. I'm frankly very surprised someone hasn't been shot for that. Yet. Sawman made reference to a story I told. I didn't mention it n my last post because the idiots in this instance weren't selling steaks. Briefly, it was two young guys that came on my property and tried the front door. When no one answered they came around back and yelled for me in my shop. When I came to the door they started their sales pitch. The more i asked them to leave, the more aggressive they became, i saw their demeanor go downhill and they began attempting to close on me. Both were carrying shoulder bags, supposedly with sales brochures insde. I had to tell one repeatedly to not put his hand anywhere near that bag until finally i had to reinforce my order by displaying my CCW. I marched them off the property and called ECSO who eventually detained them. Next time i will detain them myself until LEO shows up.

It's very dependent on the company, I work for a security company and probably 80% of our business comes from door to door, here in Alabama it's very hard to get licensed to solicit not only from the state but they have to also get day licenses in some areas, and one of the processes of getting that license is a background check and having to put our fingerprints on file with the sheriffs office. So states like Alabama is very easy to get rid of those guys, just ask to see their license if they don't have it there is a very good chance that you will never see their company vehicles in that area again. That shit still happens here but not nearly as much as some other places.
    A place like Florida I don't think has such tight restrictions so any fool can get hired and thrown out into the streets.
    Door to door sales is definitely not a job I would be wanting but I know tons of guys in the industry that easily make over 120k a year, and that's only summer sales so they work 5 months out the year only sometime.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    SHIT !!! .......... 120,000 a year and only work 5 months .......... what are they selling,poon tang on a stick ?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom