• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I frankly don't see what the big fuss is about his novelty shooting moves. If the man wants to balance on a ball or hang from some sort of upside down rig on his own range, let him. People have been flipping guns around in the air, shooting upside down, running obstacle courses and all other manner of craziness with guns for years. It's nothing new or special.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I frankly don't see what the big fuss is about his novelty shooting moves. If the man wants to balance on a ball or hang from some sort of upside down rig on his own range, let him. People have been flipping guns around in the air, shooting upside down, running obstacle courses and all other manner of craziness with guns for years. It's nothing new or special.

I don't know how he gained his notoriety or band of angry followers, but I am thinking that he deeply offended a lot of people at some point or another.

I have no beef with the guy, never met him or talked to him or witnessed any of his online antics aside from his emails to me (which were professional).

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    yeah but he is an instructor showing these stunts to classes, that is certainly not a good thing.

Fair point.

ilintner said:
    I don't know how he gained his notoriety or band of angry followers, but I am thinking that he deeply offended a lot of people at some point or another.

I'm a bit curious on this one. What exactly went down on PFF and such? I hear lots of whispers and hearsay but there's never any solid info.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not gonna lie. I took his CC course about 3 years ago. Mainly for the fact that you get to shoot about 20 different pistols. It was fun, but I too looked at the balance ball, and 1 finger slide rack as something that was "perfected" out of boredom. Not practical, and down right dangerous.

That being said, 3 years later and knowing what I know now, I would not recommend this course.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a few of his former students in classes and was never impressed by what they learned from him. They were all new shooters when they found him and none had a basic understanding of the fundamentals when they were done with his class. He seems more interested in baffling people with bullshit than actually teaching them solid universally accepted fundamentals to build a solid skill.
    My one interaction with him was watching him toot his horn in Jay's one afternoon. I kept hearing about him being a clown, that day cemented his status of clown in my mind. Maybe it makes me a curmudgeon, but I've never seen a need to introduce parlor tricks like hanging upside down and shooting or the one finger slide rack to a class paying me hard earned money to teach them something useful.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    had a personal interaction with Ron today, not by choice. However, our interaction was professional, pleasant, and good natured. To my knowledge, he did not know I am a member here, nor have I weighed in on any of the threads regarding him to lead on to it. I have nothing PERSONALLY against the man and every time I have run into him in public places (mall ball, Big T Tastee Freeze, etc), he has been handling his business in good standing. Friends of mine took his class a few years ago and think he did a great job. Is he a little different than others? I think thats obvious. Should he be shamed for exploring alternate methods....thats debatable.

I have no ill feelings towards him.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I took his class only because he advertised himself as being able and certified and or licensed to teach the law aspect of concealed carry. I didn't need the class since I have a DD214. At the time, I though he was a bit of a self promoting clown. His Glock fanaticism annoyed me, so did his whole "no sights" thing, but I did learn a thing or two, but most of it went in one and out the other. I did have fun though. Needless to say, I took my wife and stepdaughter to JJ. Overall, I would not recommend his course, after seeing what a proper course is like.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The no sights thing actually works, though. At least I had no problem doing it, and I hit just about every shot once I got the technique down.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think y'all r just mad ur not as good a shot as him??

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I think y'all r just mad ur not as good a shot as him??

I made all the shots. I've been shooting for many many years, having no sights just makes you use the top of the slide to aim , so you're still aiming. Guess I just don't get it, which is fine by me.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ah, El Capitain Ron.... I'm still waiting for his visit to Alaska! He LOVES me... :wink:

I expect that Jeff Ates regrets the day that he sold Ron ONE lousy acre in his dirt pit...

Top Bottom