• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Uncirculated coins are like an unfired gun. They bring more value vs. a worn out junk gun or slick silver quarter. Coin collectors are looking for clean, perfectly struck coins. Most circulated silver coins hold zero value as a collectors piece and are only valued for there silver and copper weight. Silver eagles always trade above silver price because of their collectors value.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've heard for years that this year silver will go through the roof. I bought some rounds and decided to sell back to the store I bought from and they wouldn't buy it back at the increase in market price. No buyers. So, Ill keep them.
    Ammunition currency will likely be a better way to barter in standard pistol and rifle denominations during tough times.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Waaaaay too much hassel. I'm just giving my stuff away. (To deserving individuals)
    What I really do not understand re. gold,silver,platinum,paladium, . . . why pay extra for the stamping into a coin. Just buy a chunk,bar,round,etc. None of that fancy stuff. --- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Waaaaay too much hassel. I'm just giving my stuff away. (To deserving individuals)
    What I really do not understand re. gold,silver,platinum,paladium, . . . why pay extra for the stamping into a coin. Just buy a chunk,bar,round,etc. None of that fancy stuff. --- SAWMAN

right..
    i like old poured johnson matthey bars, or englehard bars, but as long as they are stamped .999 and with a weight, they will trade or sell

the coins have more recognizability & less chance of forgeries ...and are accepted quicker.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The problem with buying large chunks of silver and or bars, marked and/or stamped doesn't mean it's gauranteed to be pure .999 silver. Could be silvered over lead bars. I've had some 50 oz home poured silver before that had test drill holes in it, done to ensure it was pure silver through and through.
    Buy in large quantities from reputable businesses so you don't lose your money buying lead-filled silver bars, etc. That "over-spot" fee isn't that much extra especially if you bought fake stuff.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The problem with buying large chunks of silver and or bars, marked and/or stamped doesn't mean it's gauranteed to be pure .999 silver. Could be silvered over lead bars. I've had some 50 oz home poured silver before that had test drill holes in it, done to ensure it was pure silver through and through.
    Buy in large quantities from reputable businesses so you don't lose your money buying lead-filled silver bars, etc. That "over-spot" fee isn't that much extra especially if you bought fake stuff.

This is where I fall. I got a few coins when it wasn't panic buying. I understand not being 1st strike or some other collector grades, but I do want to make sure I get actual silver.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to collect coins and started buying silver Eagles when they first came out about like the first 15 years not for the silver but for the coins just found out I have about four that are worth way more than the silver in them. Having said that I plan on selling mine and putting the money into weapons and ammo far more valuable If the economy collapses

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I used to collect coins and started buying silver Eagles when they first came out about like the first 15 years not for the silver but for the coins just found out I have about four that are worth way more than the silver in them. Having said that I plan on selling mine and putting the money into weapons and ammo far more valuable If the economy collapses

there are a couple years with extremely low mintage, that are worth much more that spot...

i think i paid $55 for either a 86 or 89, to complete my collection of every year since they came out.

this year's eagles, a few were minted in philadelphia, then they stopped. those are worth more....

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

old poured bars, in the 3 to 15 oz range, are hard to fake really....old bars from photography reclaiming companies from the 70's are good finds too

the larger sizes , manufactured , are easier targets to fake..50-100 oz bars...more money in them to fake.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is where I fall. I got a few coins when it wasn't panic buying. I understand not being 1st strike or some other collector grades, but I do want to make sure I get actual silver.

Then DON"T buy any silver from red china, rash of fakes on the market. I like Emerald Coast Coins in Pensacola for local, JM Bullion for online (over $1000 selling).

Rick

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would assume the larger company sellers you see advertised on TV would offer some kind of guarantee??
    Rosland Capitol comes to mind ?? --- SAWMAN

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would assume the larger company sellers you see advertised on TV would offer some kind of guarantee??
    Rosland Capitol comes to mind ?? --- SAWMAN

Only deal with reputable dealers, places that have been in the bullion business for decades wouldn't last long if they're weren't 100% above board. TVs sellers are high, premiums through the roof. There are other that are reputable bullion dealers that don't advertise on TV and charge less premiums.

Side note: Talked to Sean B lately?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for that info sir.
    Last time that I spoke to Sean was at Cracker Barrel. He used to bring his dad in for b'fast every Saturday AM. I have not been in there since this whole CV shit magically happened.
    At that time,he was still working and doing good. ---- SAWMAN

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I haven't purchased anything in a few months. I got sidetracked with Reloading components and looking for a house. :)

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    JM bullion has always been good with me so I was surprised to read lots of unhappy customer reviews on the web. Remember the days when you could get change for your yard sale, find the silver, replace it and turn it back in lol. Can't remember the last time I got a coin with silver content, guess people wised up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom