• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I still think ammo is a better investment than gold or silver. If things ever get really, really bad, gold and silver might not be worth all that much. Ammo will ALWAYS have intrinsic value, either as a medium of exchange, or for practical application. Just my $.02 worth.

They may be a good hedge but nothing as stable or welcomed as gold and silver

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like I said, Things would have to get very, very bad, indeed, for this to occur. But.....ammo has about doubled in the past couple of years. How much has gold / silver gone up? Jus' sayin'.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    well IF you can sell your gun and IF you can sell your ammo at prices desired in say 2 hrs, even 1 day or a week as I can gold and silver it would be comparable, but it is not and yes gold and silver have doubled. Retailers make all the $$, you got to get it somewhere so I have seen guns unless deeply discounted languish for months and years for a fair price. I do think you should have both but wealth is in gold and silver

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So if a silver eagle has not been graded then is its value just dependent on spot price of silver ?

DFSgunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Advertised as "As low as $3.15 over spot". They are a dealer so there is still a premium. You can find individuals selling on the secondary market without a premium which is normal. But the premium is part of the reason I never had much interest in junk silver. Lots of folks love it, I just personally don't have much interest in it. Some folks say the small denominations would be easier to barter with if necessary but that's not a reason why I choose to buy.

DFSgunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think Caveman knows the formula to calculate the value of the different coins, silver percentage wise based on spot but I do not

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    where do you buy that and what is it in silver weight over face value?

How much silver is in an US Silver Dollar? Old coins

new silver eagles contain a full troy oz, approx. 33 grams, 12 troy oz to a troy pound.
    or maples, which I like, kooks, Mexican libertads, british coins, or Austrian coins.

screw the Chinese pandas

Made with 90% silver these older silver dollar coins usually contain just over 24.05 grams of silver content. In troy ounces, which are measurements more commonly used than grams in the USA, older circulated silver dollar coins weigh 0.8593 troy ounces in total.

every dollar face value, whether in a dollar, or $1.00 in coins contains that same amount.
    a $200 bag of face value coins will set you back about 4 large ones...based on current spot

Roberts and Roberts, tim is a local source. hint: pay cash, no paper trail that way.

the accepted formula for worn coins is .715 x current price x face value will give you value of the silver only in each coin. or

coinflation.com

spot price:

I buy from others, face to face, at spot, but am holding off right now, due to some repairs I have to make soon.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Why are the Eagles more popular? When it come down to crunch time , isn't silver just silver? Are they going to give you more on the cash out for Eagles ??
    because they are us govt coins, yes, they get a little more than generic rounds or bars if in good shape...scuffed coins not so much

I like maples , kooks and libertads when I can find them

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Like I said, Things would have to get very, very bad, indeed, for this to occur. But.....ammo has about doubled in the past couple of years. How much has gold / silver gone up? Jus' sayin'.

a multi year chart, it is on the move up again, when it goes parabolic, $25 will seem like a bargain.

Ag& Au are not so much an investment, as they are a store of value..

the old rule is one oz of gold will buy you a complete mans suit, outfit, tailor made, fine quality material, it did in 1920 when it was $20, and an Italian tailor made suit, will prob run an oz today.

3 1964 dimes will, in silver content, still buy a gal, or more of gas today, as it did in 1964

Last edited:
    Top Bottom