APOD Firearms

Selling to someone that has an out of state license but is standing in front you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok guys, why do some private sellers get wrapped up with wanting a Florida license to in order to buy a gun from them. Why oh why? If someone is standing 3 feet from you and gives you cash, why in the heck would you want (or they want) to have a gun shipped to them. I think someone just started this because someone else started this. What is a person selling trying to accomplish by requiring that a buyer have a license from a certain state?

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    simply put,its the law weather I agree with it or not,not worth loosing every weopon I own or the possibility of never owning another...

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No law

simply put,its the law weather I agree with it or not,not worth loosing every weopon I own or the possibility of never owning another...

Nope, there is no law requiring you to have a buyer show you a drivers license to buy a gun from a private party. That is a myth. If you can reference a law that says a seller has to obtain anything from a buyer please post a reference to such law, regulation or statute. This is good, we are getting somewhere.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nope, there is no law requiring you to have a buyer show you a drivers license to buy a gun from a private party. That is a myth. If you can reference a law that says a seller has to obtain anything from a buyer please post a reference to such law, regulation or statute. This is good, we are getting somewhere.

How about personal preferance? It someone wants to sell something to someone else, they have the Option to ask for a form of ID. If you (myname) don't want to see an ID for something you want to sell that is your Option. If I want to sell something to someone who lives in Florida and I ask to see his ID, that is my Option. As long as it is a ID from our State (Florida). Out of state sales will not be allowed, unless thru an FFL. That is why shipping prices would be included in the sales price. That is the way I am looking at it.

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is in response to the two individuals that responded to this in a gun ad where I started this conversation.

First respondent stated:

"It's because people feel more comfortable that their weapon is going to a genuine bona fide person."

In response to that: They are "bonafide" because the have a Florida License? Are they not "bonafide" because they have an out of state license?

Also stated: "Last thing anyone wants is a knock on the door from plod and discovering that some shop clerk has been blown away by their old gun, and that the guy with all the tattoos on his hands saying "KILL" and "MURDER" was probably not the best recipient of an undocumented personal sale!"

In response to that: So, if they had a Florida license that would prevent them from having tattoos? Or, if they had a Florida license, it would be acceptable to have those tattoos?

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the response, maybe you missed part of the earlier discussion. You mentioned "out of state sales", this conversaton is not about out of state sales, it is about buyer and seller standing 3 feet apart from each other in Florida. You mentioned personal preference. Thats the best answer I have heard so far, but how did so many people seem to get that same personal preference?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

Some info. First entry pertains to your question.

Are you asking about the requirement of selling to a state resident or about the requirement to see an ID?

When I sell to MIL, I need something that puts them in the state (PCS orders) and something with their current FL address on it (water bill, power bill, lease etc)

How else would you prove residency?

Last edited:

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the response, maybe you missed part of the earlier discussion. You mentioned "out of state sales", this conversaton is not about out of state sales, it is about buyer and seller standing 3 feet apart from each other in Florida. You mentioned personal preference. Thats the best answer I have heard so far, but how did so many people seem to get that same personal preference?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about everyone else but, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. At a minimum, I would personally like to know, who is getting said mechandise being sold. And who knows, We could become Friends after the fact. Go shooting togther, drink Beers.

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, thats a pretty good answer on 1/2 the issue. But that doesn't solve the Florida versus non-Florida license. Will you not drink beers with a guy with a Georgia license? And I like how you capitalized beer, you obviously take your beer very seriously.

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, no actually it doesn't. I am referring to sellers and the link that you sent me discusses buyers, but thanks for the response.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys, I would suggest that you keep to the law and when in doubt contact the ATF for clarification. There are many inexpensive FFL's that will transfer guns for a minimal cost and keep things legit.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    also a good way for the ATF to set someone up for failure

which does happen

atf have gotten convicted felons to straw purchase guns and then instantly arrest the private seller for the sale

just because someone says they are good to go, doesnt mean they are, and if someone isnt a resident of your state, even if they lie to you, it could be your ass

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Long story short, its not worth it guys. It is too easy to do it the right way.

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

Some info. First entry pertains to your question.

Are you asking about the requirement of selling to a state resident or about the requirement to see an ID?

When I sell to MIL, I need something that puts them in the state (PCS orders) and something with their current FL address on it (water bill, power bill, lease etc)

How else would you prove residency?

From your name I would think your a gun dealer. You as a gun dealer have certain requirements that private citizens don't have. The comparison would that if you are a car dealer, you may be required to show that the buyer has insurance and a drivers license, whereas a private seller, you could sell guy a car that has no license, has had his license permanently revoked and has no insurance. In that scenario, how is the buyer or seller violating a statute or law? You can buy all the cars you want if you have no license, you just can't drive them.

myname

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    also a good way for the ATF to set someone up for failure

which does happen

atf have gotten convicted felons to straw purchase guns and then instantly arrest the private seller for the sale

just because someone says they are good to go, doesnt mean they are, and if someone isnt a resident of your state, even if they lie to you, it could be your ass

Please show me one case where a private seller that sold to a random stranger standing in front of them was arrested for selling to them. Just one.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Your cars to firearms is not an apples to apples comparison. A dealer doesn't care who the car goes to as long as they can pay for it. Most of the regs on cars are on the buyer after the purchase has taken place.

The link in my previous post concerns 'unlicensed' individuals, not dealers. It clearly states you can only sell to residents of the state you are in. It does not state that a DL has to be used but you need something besides them saying "I live down the street" that puts them in the state.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom