• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Since very few people can actually grasp how big a Kodiak bear is, step out to the garage and hug your 50 gallon water heater. Now try to conceptualize that hugging a Kodiak Bear will make your water heater seem small and weak. Now a 12G with a cruiser Grip isn't exactly a handgun, but it is a bit more potent than most powerful handguns, just a little longer and easier to control using both hands. But the concept of a powerful handgun takes the next step when you may actually find yourself face to face with a Kodiak. It ain't like a cuddly little Full grown Florida Black Bear, a Cinnamon, or even a Rocky Mountain Grizzly, Kodiak are really BIG BEARS! Like Bigger and much tougher than your water heater. Probably won't be involved with a Boar, but get between a Sow & her cubs??? BAD Decision. JMHO.

IronBeard

Master
    Ah, hell take the ruger loaded with punch .22. Hard cast at least. If one gets ya go out like a warrior. View attachment 216254
    If all I had was a .22, I'd use it. Although, having seen a steer "shot" between the eyes with a .22 revolver, and he didn't even blink, I'd want a bit more. FWIW, second shot dropped 'im where he stood. Shot placement matters in increased proportion as chosen caliber decreases, IMO.

Welldoya

Master
    Haven’t decided. I’ve got until August. If I do take a firearm, it will most likely be a Glock 20. I’ll watch for a good deal until July.
    If not, I’ll get a can of bear spray. My buddy will have a .44.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Kevin’s Sporting Goods in Tallahassee had (has) a huge bear on display. I forgot what kind but it was a massive animal.

Anyone remember that?

.22 cents

Master
    There was once a man who was very excited for an Alaskan fishing trip with his friend.

When they finally got out to the river he cast his fly and what bit was the biggest salmon he ever seen in his life.

Determined to land the monster he fought and fought the lunker but then he heard a low pitched rumbling growl behind him.

Slowly turning around, his fears were realized. It was a grizzly that towered him twice. In the blink of an eye the grizzly had the man pinned under it’s two front paws.

Afraid for his life the man reached for his Glock 20 loaded with werewolf killers..but the bear is a cunning bear and swipes the pistol away.

A sudden feeling of hopelessness comes over the man and he prays. “Please God let this be a holy bear!”

The bear suddenly stops, puts his paws together and says…”Thank you Father for this food.”

Narrow Gap

Expert
    Glock 20 10mm or S&W M&P 2.0 10mm shooting Underwood Ammo 220 grain Hardcast should work well for medicine on any Bear You will encounter. 15 rounds of the Underwood Ammo 220 grain Hardcast will be tough on any size Bear.

Sporter

Expert
    Animal attack statistics should always be read as "reported attacks" versus actual attacks.

Alaska is an amazing place. I've been a few places overseas in my time but Alaska is hands down the most interesting place I've been. According to friends of mine who spent years in Alaska, the locals usually don't report either bear or wolf attacks if they had to kill the animal. Moose attack stats are probably more accurate. Locals just do whatever they have to do and shut the hell up. In Alaska, any bear or wolf killing will be investigated by the law and if they think you were not actually in serious danger they will prosecute you.

Before I went to Alaska I bought a 460 Roland kit for my 1911 as my primary bear defense. However, once I saw for myself the size, speed and sheer power of an actual brown bear I bought a Marlin 45-70 as my primary. When I briefed the F-16 pilots at Eielson AFB back in the 90's I saw only magnum revolvers strapped on the pilots, not a 9mm in sight. Don't remember ever seeing that in the lower 48.

I need to get back up there, really beautiful place.

M118LR

Master
    But will a 45-70 go through a water heater full of water?
    45-70 solid, sure will. Go my word. Now about those 15 rounds, wonder how many are still going to be in the mag once the authorities finish typing up their investigation. The plain and simple truth is you are going to be lucky to get off one shot! That one shot better be up to the task or other folks will be scribing the tale. JMHO. But I have the Tee-shirt and quill in hand. LOL.

Narrow Gap

Expert
    45-70 solid, sure will. Go my word. Now about those 15 rounds, wonder how many are still going to be in the mag once the authorities finish typing up their investigation. The plain and simple truth is you are going to be lucky to get off one shot! That one shot better be up to the task or other folks will be scribing the tale. JMHO. But I have the Tee-shirt and quill in hand. LOL.
    You may know but Denmark military issues the Glock 20 10mm to troops stationed in Greenland for protection from Polar Bears. I would say that is pretty good evidence that 15 rounds of 10mm work well for protection from Huge bears. I doubt the 10mm loads that the Denmark military uses are as powerful a 10mm load as what a US citizen has access to either.

Top Bottom