• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I loaded some of these but have not had a chance to test them on game. Acme 200gr hardcast coated rn. Lipstick for a pig. Supposed to be good for headshots, high shoulder. AA #9 12.5g. You can load hotter but I liked the accuracy in the 16 inch carbine and G20 better, still snappy. Have not tried them in the G40 yet. No chronograph so don't know the speed. A guess 1,200 pistol and 1,400 from the carbine. I know from the carbine it makes a God awful mess of deer. < 70 yards.

20220114_173229.jpg
    20220114_125511_001.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I REALLY like that leather Diamond D holster but not sure it’s worth $130 more than the nylon since I most likely will just be using it once. There’s a possibility I might go again but I’m 68 now so not sure.
    Have you shot the heavy hard cast bullets in your Glock? I’ve been reading they lead up really bad with hard cast bullets.
    Only shot about 20 of the double tap, didn't notice any issues.

M118LR

Master
    Only shot about 20 of the double tap, didn't notice any issues.
    I was just wondering how much experience you have had guiding folks in Alaska? It might determine how much weight I place on the base of your thoughtful suggestions under such conditions in an Alaskan Field? Just a humble question.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I was just wondering how much experience you have had guiding folks in Alaska? It might determine how much weight I place on the base of your thoughtful suggestions under such conditions in an Alaskan Field? Just a humble question.

Attachments

• beer tales.jpg
      beer tales.jpg
      102.3 KB · Views: 28

M118LR

Master
    Theories are well thought out usually, but a wounded Sow Bruin in the bullrushes are a totally reactionary thing. Failed theories can be changed with nothing more than a rubber eraser. Failures afield are usually lessons learned in blood. JMHO. It's one thing to say I've practiced doing this Incase such and such happens. It's something totally different to state I used this when this happened and it worked. JMHO. YMMV. In practice to prove a theory every shot is a one shot stop, at least on paper in practice to prove a theory prior to taking it afield. Just how many times has experience afield actually changed calk board theories? Theoretically you won't ever need to track wounded game since they died right there first time every time like a TIMEX. But that don't hold water in the willows searching for a wounded Sow! Does it?

Last edited:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Alright folks. Im about to move this out of the WTB section since we are clearly beyond just getting this member a gun.

"Water Cooler" section or would this be better suited for in a section just for caliber debates?

Im thinking we call it the "Water Filled Water Heater."

M118LR

Master
    Alright folks. Im about to move this out of the WTB section since we are clearly beyond just getting this member a gun.

"Water Cooler" section or would this be better suited for in a section just for caliber debates?

If you have a better test that can be performed in a dirt lot by every member to expose what shall be needed during a bear charge, I'm all ears. Perhaps just handguns or general hunting? You are in charge and I don't envy the decision you make. JMHO. Whatever it is, I'll abide by it Sir. Just can't wait to view the field testing related to the topic. Thanks for listening.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    If you have a better test that can be performed in a dirt lot by every member to expose what shall be needed during a bear charge, I'm all ears. Perhaps just handguns or general hunting? You are in charge and I don't envy the decision you make. JMHO. Whatever it is, I'll abide by it Sir. Just can't wait to view the field testing related to the topic. Thanks for listening.

*half listening - Im trying not to kill all my brain cells by reading yet another caliber debate with 70+ posts. ;)

Im glad y'all are so passionate about it though.

Welldoya

Master
    Steve I went last year and I just carried a judge in 45LC… felt it was more than enough… a .22 is even better… just shoot your fishing buddy in the leg & run… in all the mess they’ll never notice the .22 wound…

Clint, did you go fishing? Did you carry the judge in a chest holster? See any bears?

Welldoya

Master

This seriously started out as a WTB ad. At least we are keeping the forum lively!

FLT

Master
    No matter what you choose, it’ll seem punny if you have a need to use it. I’d go fishing and enjoy it . chances are you’ll not need to shoot any bears .

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Looking forward to a couple of insulation wrapped barrel tests. Yet a 12G is only 73 caliber, two 40s should make a bigger hole? But four .22s should provide even more damage using that logic? Wait a second, doesn't a 12G 00 Buck launch a dozen 9mm pellets at once? Shouldn't a dozen 9mm's kick butt? We SHALL SEE! Only the backside of the (water heater) barrel knows.........?
    On big things, slugs will penetrate to important stuff much better than buckshot. JMO.

ETA, and considering the likelihood of a threatening bear encounter is probably around 10-20ish%. If I were going (you do what is best for you), I would carry a 12 ga. pump with slugs AND a double-action revolver in .44 mag, or up, with hard cast solids in a chest rig. 12 would be first go-to, the revolver would be the FM! back-up, or worse, my last ditch effort if he/she was on me.

If you didn't catch it, I love me some semi-auto, but if dealing with big critters, I want something that is the least likely to fail when I need it most. Manual action is IT, for me. And, practice with what you are gonna take/carry until it becomes part of your body.

Most importantly, ENJOY YOUR TRIP OF A LIFETIME. It ain't all doom and gloom, but that can happen...

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    You are right, it is a trip of a lifetime. For those of you that haven’t gone, GO!
    My wife and I went on a cruise/land tour last May into June. That made me want to go back and spend more time on land, then this opportunity presented itself.
    And for those of you that have children from 18-25. They are begging for workers up there. I talked to a lot of kids working when I was there and they were from all over the lower 48. They loved working there during the summer. I wish I had known about it 45 years ago.
    I hope that the chances of a threatening bear encounter are a little less than 10-20%.
    The way I figure it, there are thousands of people hiking, hunting and fishing up there and we rarely hear of a bear attack.

IronBeard

Master
    Yeah, I wouldn't let that number overshadow your trip. Reality is, the majority of bear incidents probably could have been avoided/prevented by the "victim."

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter

Top Bear Attack Statistics: Editor’s Pick​

• There were 183 bear attacks in North America between 2000–2015.
    • There are 40 bear attacks around the world every year.
    • The odds of being attacked by a bear are one in 2.1 million.
    • On average, 24 deaths were caused by grizzly bears between 2000–2015.
    • There were six fatal bear attacks in Alaska from 2008–2018.
    • There were 22 human-bear incidents in the US Yosemite National Park in 2019.

Top Bottom