• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavCorman

Master
    We are fishing out of Glacier Bear Lodge at Yakutat.
    The guy I’m going with goes every year. He said he’s seen a few bears over the years but rarely. Usually on the other side of the river.
    It’s the ones you don’t see that get you . I hope you limit out everyday and have a blast .

5.56Operator

Hero of the Imperium
    Imagine not carrying a Deagle brand Deagle.
    8A6A5EDC-4CF0-40DF-9C4E-F03FB5834FD4.jpeg
    Flexing aside any good wheelgun in .357 or semi auto in 10mm will be more than up to the task.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    buddy of mine that is an Alaskan guide when he is not here guiding night pig hunts tells a funny story about them Salmon fishing and stopping to pick berries from the hedgerow....stream was so loud you couldn't here anything...bear stood up on the other side where they were talking and picking berries...he slings a short barreled 300 Win Mag

Welldoya

Master
    Never fished that far inland/east. It's a well established and heavily traveled site, so I would expect that there are some conservation precautions in place to reduce Bear to Human confrontations. Not that they can't happen, but I'd check to see how the park services have culled the Bruin population. It's probably not as populated (bear wise) as Kodiak? But I could be incorrect? Being established so long, there are probably some bear related restrictions in place that you shall be required to follow. YMMV?

Yakutat is right on the water, not inland. We will probably fish for halibut as well as salmon.

Welldoya

Master
    There is the case the guide who stopped a brownie with a 9mm . And Buffalo Bore bullets .

I read a story many years ago about a guy who lived in Alaska in the boonies and never went anywhere without his Ruger .22 pistol. Probably would have been a Ruger standard back then. One night he heard a noise coming from his meat house and thought someone was stealing meat.
    He strapped on his Ruger and just as he was about to open the door, a grizzly came flying out. He emptied the Ruger into the bear’s open mouth and it fell dead on the spot. Heck, maybe I oughta take one of my MKlls.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I read a story many years ago about a guy who lived in Alaska in the boonies and never went anywhere without his Ruger .22 pistol. Probably would have been a Ruger standard back then. One night he heard a noise coming from his meat house and thought someone was stealing meat.
    He strapped on his Ruger and just as he was about to open the door, a grizzly came flying out. He emptied the Ruger into the bear’s open mouth and it fell dead on the spot. Heck, maybe I oughta take one of my MKlls.
    Do it!!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Definitely get a DD holster. Thats what i have ( TKU, Fathertime !!!)
    The nylon one is very nice but the leather one is even better.
    Lots of other flavors of 10mm, don't know the capiticy of the others, 15 in G20. I have the 6 inch "hunter" glock barrel ( gen 3, unfired, a unicorn barrel now) if ya feel ya need one and a 9 inch...lol.

NavCorman

Master
    Lots of other flavors of 10mm, don't know the capiticy of the others, 15 in G20. I have the 6 inch "hunter" glock barrel ( gen 3, unfired, a unicorn barrel now) if ya feel ya need one and a 9 inch...lol.
    Looking at those holsters as well .But for now , I have a micro chest rig ( Molle) I run my G 20 in a Serpa retention holster on it in different locations . 2 mag pouches + anything else . It wears great on the chest .

Welldoya

Master

I REALLY like that leather Diamond D holster but not sure it’s worth $130 more than the nylon since I most likely will just be using it once. There’s a possibility I might go again but I’m 68 now so not sure.
    Have you shot the heavy hard cast bullets in your Glock? I’ve been reading they lead up really bad with hard cast bullets.

Beached

Expert
    I have a friend who lives in Ak in the summer months. He told me short 12 ga. Is most popular. And to remember a large bear has a slow heartbeat and gallons of blood. They are very hard to stop immediately.

M118LR

Master
    Yakutat is right on the water, not inland. We will probably fish for halibut as well as salmon.
    Yakutat is on the mainland and much farther inland than all the other islands I listed in the Aleutian chain. Sorry if there was any confusion. https://www.airmilescalculator.com/distance/yak-to-adk/ If your looking for a TON OF FUN that .22LR sidearms sounds like the way! LOL. Of course the heaviest Kodiak Bear 2100+ lbs was in a Zoo. https://bear.org/kodiak-bears/#:~:text=The largest known Kodiak bear,9 inches when he died.

Last edited:

.22 cents

Master
    i would at least get hard cast or solid core rounds to get through bones/skull and penetrate deep.
    iu

iu
    357-magnum-180-grain-lead-flat-nose-gas-checkblack-cherry-coated-hard-cast-sku-720__09328.1660322065.jpg

M118LR

Master
    I have a few boxes of Underwood Extreme Penetrators 10 mm . Impressive performance in a tree stump .
    Looking forward to a couple of insulation wrapped barrel tests. Yet a 12G is only 73 caliber, two 40s should make a bigger hole? But four .22s should provide even more damage using that logic? Wait a second, doesn't a 12G 00 Buck launch a dozen 9mm pellets at once? Shouldn't a dozen 9mm's kick butt? We SHALL SEE! Only the backside of the (water heater) barrel knows.........?

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    since one could be facing a creature that can literally rip your head off and shit down your neck, i would give the respect of shooting the bear with the biggest, baddest gun that would not fly out of my hands..

btw, they have "pizzlys" bears now, hybrid polar and brown grizzly bear

M118LR

Master
    I think there is one documented case of a Kodiak killing a human in like the last 75 years? So it's doubtful that your at much risk, yet there are so many undocumented cases of folks not returning from Alaska's pristine wilderness every year. Wonder how many undocumented fatalities headed into the wilderness armed with .22LR's? Yet usually it's only the folks that survive that get their TALL TALES published. How many Deadman have you heard tales from?????LOL. I'll be the guy with the cruiser gripped 12 gauge sporting heavy slugs or solids in an over the shoulder scabbard. Hope that none of US ever needs such insurance. But that 7 yard reaction principle???????. Do Bruins charge faster than bipedal critters? TONS OF FUN afield if you ask me. LOL. Yet I realize that many question what I state, so I'll lend credence to NAVCORMAN's documentation sight unseen, since I believe such testimony from an acknowledged member of the forum carries weight. ( And I'll stand by his testimony) Last member that gave my word undebated weight was SAWMAN, but we shared common swamps long ago. So I'll add to the expectations of NAVCORMANs experiments.........?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom