• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Can’t build another artery road to the north of 98 along the coast.
    Can’t build to the south.

Only option left is UP. Double-deck 98. Properties north of 98 would have their gulf view destroyed. A single accident or construction issue on the top lanes would be as bad as I-10 in Louisiana. Added bonus: miles and miles of extra underpasses to further encourage homeless “campgrounds”!

^— Sarcasm. But some idiot will probably think it makes perfect sense.

At some point, an area grows too big for its britches…

Just another example of short-sighted greedy SOBs “in power” making piss-poor decisions.
    that is a very popular opinion on the way to go but i disagree. camp lejeune has a bypass now that goes around jacksonville n.c. you can also enter the base on it. at a certain point there is a sign that says pretty much "if you dont have a cac card you will be turned around". i think a back entry to hurlburt from 87 could work this way. anyone could take it from 87 but at the end of the road you will either produce a military i.d. or turn around. then another road going out north to end at the far north section of 189 could allow eglin traffic going to navarre to do the same thing. it would be all govt employee traffic. going that would relieve alot of traffic off of 98. but i am a dreamer.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    that is a very popular opinion on the way to go but i disagree. camp lejeune has a bypass now that goes around jacksonville n.c. you can also enter the base on it. at a certain point there is a sign that says pretty much "if you dont have a cac card you will be turned around". i think a back entry to hurlburt from 87 could work this way. anyone could take it from 87 but at the end of the road you will either produce a military i.d. or turn around. then another road going out north to end at the far north section of 189 could allow eglin traffic going to navarre to do the same thing. it would be all govt employee traffic. going that would relieve alot of traffic off of 98. but i am a dreamer.

I think you missed my point. I was kidding.

New roads on federal/military property for federal/military traffic? The budget and manpower requirements would stall that forever.

Civilian roadway expansion, whether double-decker or subterranean, or eminent domain seizure, is also a gigantic monetary and logistical nightmare.

The county boards of bribed SOBs are not making decisions based on any reality of repercussions.

Fordtudor37

Shooter
    Traffic is going to get worse everywhere now that all major businesses are requiring folks to "come in the office" and no working from home as they realize the actual "documented hours worked vs realized productivity" levels have gone way down with the implementation of work from home and it is eating into their corporate profits. --- Neighbor who works there says Navy Federal wants everyone "in house" so that's another 350 - 450 resident's that need housing, schools for the kids, grocery stores to handle the quantity supply levels, gas stations to handle the influx before tourists and insurance increases yet to be determined due to hurricane Ian's wrath. Nine Mile will be three lanes wide and traffic light at every intersection and so wont Pine Forest/297A and Beulah Road before you know it. --- More road works projects, more new schools, more traffic lights = more new taxes.

IronBeard

Master
    Can’t build another artery road to the north of 98 along the coast.
    Can’t build to the south.

Only option left is UP. Double-deck 98. Properties north of 98 would have their gulf view destroyed. A single accident or construction issue on the top lanes would be as bad as I-10 in Louisiana. Added bonus: miles and miles of extra underpasses to further encourage homeless “campgrounds”!

^— Sarcasm. But some idiot will probably think it makes perfect sense.

At some point, an area grows too big for its britches…

Just another example of short-sighted greedy SOBs “in power” making piss-poor decisions.
    Yep. Just look at Destin and Panama City, even Crestview. I too have considered the double-decker option, and I don't think it'll every work. Although, fly-overs like at Hurlburt with ramps to access roads might be an option. That and eliminate u-turns and limit left turns to traffic lights with left turn lanes. Welcome to the city, on the beach.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Not personal:

Yeah, Pete, but Eglin has complete control over the Eglin reservation. The only hope we have there is this proposed project negatively impacts the reservation and the mission(s) it supports. That's why there us no new Brooks Bridge in FWB...

My personal slant, on top of the outright stupid of adding more traffic/clueless tourists to 98 with no care or plan for alternative routes; the unacceptable light signature cast nightly by this project will it prevent our Nation's military forces conducting relevant and realistic low/no light training due to disabling and dangerous interference with night vision devices worn by our military and onboard aircraft sensors/systems. The increased risk to personnel/aircraft will be compounded further by increasing the potential loss of life and limb due to increased conjestion/traffic impeding emergency vehicles/personnel responding to the inevitable accident. Ya see that, county commissioners and the developers don't care if our military are properly/sufficiently trained and are perfectly fine with them learning on the job against China/Russia. Growth and profit is more important than our military. After all, that's what they signed up for. Bad, bad commissioners and developers. They hate our military. They just don't care.

In the end, this is a small, power-drunk, and money-hungry/influenced group of commissioners that has already decided, without your input(?), that this is best for you because it's more importantly best for them. Anyone think for a minute these commissioners, and their valued friends/guests won't be comped rooms/meals at this resort, given a VIP, parking space, and get a cut of "the action?" Anyone remember commissioners meeting clandestinely with developers at a resort a month or two back? That, when exposed, they swore was good, clean, county business? But, hey, that resort will mean good payin' jobs. Yeah, it already has.

I would say that it is realistic training for likely more urban war fighting.

There is still plenty of low light area in the gulf for training.

Tourism is what keeps our taxes low and our state rich. Growth, when done well, is good.

I would propose more single family and mixed use facilities that cater to families versus a hotel type “resort” like Perdidio or Fort Walton Beach. This approach requires strict government rules - which on the local leve can be good.

IronBeard

Master
    I would say that it is realistic training for likely more urban war fighting.

There is still plenty of low light area in the gulf for training.

Tourism is what keeps our taxes low and our state rich. Growth, when done well, is good.

I would propose more single family and mixed use facilities that cater to families versus a hotel type “resort” like Perdidio or Fort Walton Beach. This approach requires strict government rules - which on the local leve can be good.
    I guess we'll find out when the lights go on. Can say from personal experience that night vision devices are degraded by and sensitive to any level of light.

I'd also like to hear/see the plan the developers and their commissioners have for dealing with the increased traffic. Just slow down and allow more time is not acceptable. That very option was proposed regarding this project by one of their own, and they out-voted him.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Not personal:

Yeah, Pete, but Eglin has complete control over the Eglin reservation. The only hope we have there is this proposed project negatively impacts the reservation and the mission(s) it supports. That's why there us no new Brooks Bridge in FWB...

My personal slant, on top of the outright stupid of adding more traffic/clueless tourists to 98 with no care or plan for alternative routes; the unacceptable light signature cast nightly by this project will it prevent our Nation's military forces conducting relevant and realistic low/no light training due to disabling and dangerous interference with night vision devices worn by our military and onboard aircraft sensors/systems. The increased risk to personnel/aircraft will be compounded further by increasing the potential loss of life and limb due to increased conjestion/traffic impeding emergency vehicles/personnel responding to the inevitable accident. Ya see that, county commissioners and the developers don't care if our military are properly/sufficiently trained and are perfectly fine with them learning on the job against China/Russia. Growth and profit is more important than our military. After all, that's what they signed up for. Bad, bad commissioners and developers. They hate our military. They just don't care.

In the end, this is a small, power-drunk, and money-hungry/influenced group of commissioners that has already decided, without your input(?), that this is best for you because it's more importantly best for them. Anyone think for a minute these commissioners, and their valued friends/guests won't be comped rooms/meals at this resort, given a VIP, parking space, and get a cut of "the action?" Anyone remember commissioners meeting clandestinely with developers at a resort a month or two back? That, when exposed, they swore was good, clean, county business? But, hey, that resort will mean good payin' jobs. Yeah, it already has.
    The new Brooks Bridge project has already started. Pat's Bait & Tackle and a 6 story hotel on Okaloosa Island have been taken down to make room for the bridge. Traffic from and to Navarre has already become a problem. I sold my house West of Hurlburt moved into FWB proper and most of my reason for doing it was traffic.

IronBeard

Master
    The new Brooks Bridge project has already started. Pat's Bait & Tackle and a 6 story hotel on Okaloosa Island have been taken down to make room for the bridge. Traffic from and to Navarre has already become a problem. I sold my house West of Hurlburt moved into FWB proper and most of my reason for doing it was traffic.
    Wife and I were wondering what was happening with that bridge. We don't get that way much.

I can deal with traffic that moves, it's the brake-riding crap that brings on the evil thoughts, and the voices. Then there are those who are continually surprised that the red light turns green. There's almost, like, a pattern to it ;)

justapilgrim

Marksman
    This is the most depressing thread ever!!! There's a lot of good information, but no realistic solutions to the problems. In the big scheme of things I reckon these problems are small taters compared to the issues of no water/starvation/ disease /etc.. so many in other countries face daily. Thank you LORD for the blessings you've poured out for me and give me wisdom, courage, and discernment to follow your small, still voice.

Top Bottom