• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master

If you live in/near Navarre, or drive through on 98, plan on adding more time to your drives as tourism continues to consume the area. Based on what I read in another article, one commissioner asked for more time for public input, the rest voted to approve it. Democracy in action...

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    well, they have decided that endangered salamander the was keeping them from building a road thru eglin reserve CAN be relocated, so maybe we will get some relief for 98 base traffic.

Raven

Master
    This resort won't be happening any time soon. Hardly any of the land those LLC partners own is connected to each other.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221008-064718.png
      Screenshot_20221008-064718.png
      1.3 MB · Views: 79

Snake-Eyes

Master
    well, they have decided that endangered salamander the was keeping them from building a road thru eglin reserve CAN be relocated, so maybe we will get some relief for 98 base traffic.

Do you have link to more info on that road project?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    my understanding is years ago when a back gate to hurlburt from 87 was proposed an environmental impact study was done and found that this salamander's breeding ground was smack dab in the way. so after that whenever someone would bring up the idea it would go nowhere. but with the news this silly amphib can go to scivannes point the possibility re-arises.
    there is no road project. not yet.

IronBeard

Master
    Not personal:

Yeah, Pete, but Eglin has complete control over the Eglin reservation. The only hope we have there is this proposed project negatively impacts the reservation and the mission(s) it supports. That's why there us no new Brooks Bridge in FWB...

My personal slant, on top of the outright stupid of adding more traffic/clueless tourists to 98 with no care or plan for alternative routes; the unacceptable light signature cast nightly by this project will it prevent our Nation's military forces conducting relevant and realistic low/no light training due to disabling and dangerous interference with night vision devices worn by our military and onboard aircraft sensors/systems. The increased risk to personnel/aircraft will be compounded further by increasing the potential loss of life and limb due to increased conjestion/traffic impeding emergency vehicles/personnel responding to the inevitable accident. Ya see that, county commissioners and the developers don't care if our military are properly/sufficiently trained and are perfectly fine with them learning on the job against China/Russia. Growth and profit is more important than our military. After all, that's what they signed up for. Bad, bad commissioners and developers. They hate our military. They just don't care.

In the end, this is a small, power-drunk, and money-hungry/influenced group of commissioners that has already decided, without your input(?), that this is best for you because it's more importantly best for them. Anyone think for a minute these commissioners, and their valued friends/guests won't be comped rooms/meals at this resort, given a VIP, parking space, and get a cut of "the action?" Anyone remember commissioners meeting clandestinely with developers at a resort a month or two back? That, when exposed, they swore was good, clean, county business? But, hey, that resort will mean good payin' jobs. Yeah, it already has.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    This resort won't be happening any time soon. Hardly any of the land those LLC partners own is connected to each other.
    While I'd like to think so, there is money already involved plus the potential for profit abounds. That in itself equals "good for the community." You never mind my business, how much money I make, or how I make it. Do you know I could call the sheriff right now, and.... I go to the same church you do. Pastor ______ and I go way back.... Yeah, me and your boss went to school together and still go fishin'.

Raven

Master
    While I'd like to think so, there is money already involved plus the potential for profit abounds. That in itself equals "good for the community." You never mind my business, how much money I make, or how I make it. Do you know I could call the sheriff right now, and.... I go to the same church you do. Pastor ______ and I go way back.... Yeah, me and your boss went to school together and still go fishin'.
    Very true. Such is how good ole boy county commissioners get to be made men... if they can hide the money. Hard to hide corruption. Gotta grease everybody's hands all around, so you don't have to hide it

TontoFAC

Expert

If you live in/near Navarre, or drive through on 98, plan on adding more time to your drives as tourism continues to consume the area. Based on what I read in another article, one commissioner asked for more time for public input, the rest voted to approve it. Democracy in action...
    Have you seen the apartment complex going in next to the Publix in Navarre. There are several apartment complexes being built between Navarre and Florosa.

IronBeard

Master
    Have you seen the apartment complex going in next to the Publix in Navarre. There are several apartment complexes being built between Navarre and Florosa.
    Sure have, and that won't help, either. Rumor is (odd how you can't get accurate/timely information), there will be another traffic light on 98 and centered on that development. Won't be long before there is light every block/two. Those apartments are supposed to be fronted by "restaurants." The first you see being built is rumored to be buffalo wild wings. Yep, there's them good payin' jobs again. Well, I guess not all tourists are from Nashville, the average wage earner has to eat, too.

IronBeard

Master
    my understanding is years ago when a back gate to hurlburt from 87 was proposed an environmental impact study was done and found that this salamander's breeding ground was smack dab in the way. so after that whenever someone would bring up the idea it would go nowhere. but with the news this silly amphib can go to scivannes point the possibility re-arises.
    there is no road project. not yet.
    There's also some kind of endangered minnow out there that prevents everyone from doing anything. Then there was the time they shut down the 123 widening project because the contractor allowed dirt to run off into a creek. Like that didn't happen each time it rained, for like ever. Never mind they obliterated acres if woods to create retention ponds that I have never actually seen retain anything but sand and weeds...

IronBeard

Master
    Now the county/developers have transitioned from calling it a resort to a "town center." Because, it's for you not tourists/us. County is supposed to conduct a Q&A in November where you will likely be told, under the watchful eye of SRCSD, the inevitable, and you will just have to accept/deal with it.

IronBeard

Master
    Hopefully they will build several roundabouts to increase the traffic fun!
    There was at least one planned on the north end of the causeway. Not sure how/if that would mesh with this plan.

Ya know, in my experience the European round-about works. Ya just gotta get with the program. Hey, Myth Busters even proved it.

The "American" round-about fails 99% of the time because "experts" try to fit it into the same area as a four-way intersection. Doesn't work, so yeah, "American" style round abouts suck.

Ya know, Myth Busters also proved that a four-way intersection with only stop signs had the potential to move more traffic than one with traffic lights. The main factor that killed the stop sign option came down to shortcomings of the individual driver(s). Once again, the lowest common denominator @#$%s it up for everyone, but still has a "right" to drive.

IronBeard

Master
    I avoid 98 like the plague...
    Would if I could, and do as much as possible. Alternative routrs are very limitted/scarce I'd like to see the plan those who profess to be all about the community have for that. "You'll just have to allow more time for your drive," is a BS response to a self-inflicted traffic failure.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Would if I could, and do as much as possible. Alternative routrs are very limitted/scarce I'd like to see the plan those who profess to be all about the community have for that. "You'll just have to allow more time for your drive," is a BS response to a self-inflicted traffic failure.

Can’t build another artery road to the north of 98 along the coast.
    Can’t build to the south.

Only option left is UP. Double-deck 98. Properties north of 98 would have their gulf view destroyed. A single accident or construction issue on the top lanes would be as bad as I-10 in Louisiana. Added bonus: miles and miles of extra underpasses to further encourage homeless “campgrounds”!

^— Sarcasm. But some idiot will probably think it makes perfect sense.

At some point, an area grows too big for its britches…

Just another example of short-sighted greedy SOBs “in power” making piss-poor decisions.

Raven

Master
    Only option left is UP. Double-deck 98. Properties north of 98 would have their gulf view destroyed.
    Or DOWN... hey if New York can do a subway and vehicle tunnels then we can too. And it will save the waterfront and millionaires views. Plenty of pedestrian tunnels across roads in who knows how many hundreds of cities, too, including Pace... so we can do that as well. No real need to go up

Top Bottom