• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He ain't from around here. Looks like I'm gonna have to drag Farook's ass over to Chets one day.

No doubt that's the place if you don't fry them up yourself. Poor guy has been deprived. Fresh mullet is a right of passage for any Gulf Coaster! Make sure to order a plate of backbones as well and teach him how to gnaw the meat of the bones.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I need to practice. This is the 3rd time I've thrown it in the last 2+ years.

Everyone has their own style but I had an old-timer show me a pretty neat trick years ago. Instead of holding part of the net in his teeth he wore a rope necklace with an attached clothespin. It helps it open better and easily pops out when thrown.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Everyone has their own style but I had an old-timer show me a pretty neat trick years ago. Instead of holding part of the net in his teeth he wore a rope necklace with an attached clothespin. It helps it open better and easily pops out when thrown.

I've seen some people that throw the net basically one-handed kind of side-armed. I'm going to give that a try sometime and see if it works. The only problem is most of those people are throwing off of a pier or a boat. I'm not sure how it will work while wading.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When youz guys are headed over to Chet's please give me a call. I'll show you northern boyz(north Escambia Cty)how to eat da mull-lat.

I really can't believe what a "sheltered" life some of you have lead. --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When youz guys are headed over to Chet's please give me a call. I'll show you northern boyz(north Escambia Cty)how to eat da mull-lat.

I really can't believe what a "sheltered" life some of you have lead. --- SAWMAN

Reminds me of a discussion this friend of mine had with a guy from up north. My buddy was about 90YO. Northern guy asked what was considered a Yankee around these parts. Buddy replied "Anyone north of I-10",

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen some people that throw the net basically one-handed kind of side-armed. I'm going to give that a try sometime and see if it works. The only problem is most of those people are throwing off of a pier or a boat. I'm not sure how it will work while wading.

Yeah there are probably as many ways to throw a net as there are mullet in the bay. I'm not sure that one would work for me however. Props on the dedication to wading that's the hardest way to go about it imo. I prefer to throw off a boat or pier.

I used to see a guy come up in perdido bay, mostly when it was cloudy or raining, and catch them out of a boat in a one man operation. He would time it right to cut the throttle and glide to them while running to the bow, grabbing the net and making it up to throw amazingly fast, and then throw on them and he would kill it. I would watch in amazement as he hauled in full nets. Probably commercial or maybe even the Chet's guy. They catch their own I'm told.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I throw the one handed technique for most of my nets. My newer 12ft net has a super stiff lead line and it took me a couple of weeks to find a way to throw it. I also switch from left to right handed when one arm gets tired. I need to get a 10-12ft bag net to try out.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'm in for a GCGF trip to eat fried mullet at Chet's, I have never been there but I have heard good things about the place.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We might need to keep mullet a local's secret, if we keep talking it up there will be a run on mullet like .22lr

Well you don't have to worry about any Cajuns eating it. I worked with a bunch of guys from Louisiana and they accused me of eating bait and wouldn't touch it. I tried to explain to them that our mullet from sandy bottomed water is not the same as their mullet that feed on toxic sludge but they were having none of it!

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Edible mullet are limited to an area from Gulf Shores to around Panama City. Outside of that area they really are bait. Mullet and grits were a breakfast staple at my house, roe too at the right time of year.

I'm all for a forum lunch at Chet's. Weekday or weekend? Let's set a day and time.

Rick

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The one in Pensacola is only open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It will be packed during lunch and there is usually a wait. A late lunch after 1:30 would probably be best to accommodate a large party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on the weekend. After this crap is over I'm getting my Saturdays and Sundays back. If it's within the next two weeks I'm not sure. I can take off when I want of course but once I get rolling on a workday I don't really feel like stopping, going home to shower and dress, go to lunch, come back and start working again.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No doubt that's the place if you don't fry them up yourself. Poor guy has been deprived. Fresh mullet is a right of passage for any Gulf Coaster! Make sure to order a plate of backbones as well and teach him how to gnaw the meat of the bones.

I'll try anything once. (Most anything) Not sure about the backbone thing though.

Top Bottom