• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I didn't want to keep contributing to the derailment of the brunch thread, so I'm starting a new thread dedicated to mullet.

Personally, I love to eat them as well as fish for them. My dad and I don't go very often, but we've started to get into it the last several weeks.

A few weeks ago, we caught 60 in about 2 hours:

20150726_091057_zpsvmqbkos8.jpg

My dad went last weekend while I was shooting the Biloxi match and caught 50 in about an hour and a half:

IMG_0898_zpswdkjyme3.jpg

We went this past Saturday, caught 37 and had to work extremely hard for them. I wore my go pro and will have some video up soon. I had a hard time getting my net to open, then I ripped a chunk out of my finger, which ended my day early. Luckily my dad picked up my slack so we still ended up with a nice mess. We gave 25 of them to my grandparents, Dad and I split the remaining 12 and I fried them up for my wife and I on Saturday afternoon. They were delicious!

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got 26 with my dad 2 weekends ago. I throw a 12ft net but the schools are very spread out or just 2-3 fish swimming together so we couldnt catch many at a time.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2015080195201420.jpg
    Mostly silver but I did manage a couple nice ones.

Attachments

• 2015080195201420.jpg
      2015080195201420.jpg
      315.9 KB · Views: 368

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dang, I only throw a 9ft net, but we wade for them. Hell, when I get above waist-deep, I have a hard time opening the net on a good day, much less throwing it any sort of distance.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im thinking about getting a 14ft with extra weight on it but I throw from piers mostly.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've wanted to get a net ever since I first moved here and started fishing off the piers, looks pretty fun. Where do you guys fish at to get that many? I've watched people around the Daphne and Fairhope places I go and they never seem to acquire a haul like that.

And how do you fry them? Like do you filet them or do you just fry them on the bones?

I need to get back into fishing, I need a hobby that i can afford to do haha.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    all I know is that Jeep and his dad caught 60 in 2 hours. Then the next time, while alone, his dad caught 50 in an hour and a half. I think we found the weak link.....

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love mullet Gizards!! We had them jumping into my mud motor boat a few nights back. Had to slow down because I was dodging Mullet. 5 of them where in the boat after a short half mile drive. Something about these surface drive mud motor makes the fish go ape shit?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've wanted to get a net ever since I first moved here and started fishing off the piers, looks pretty fun. Where do you guys fish at to get that many? I've watched people around the Daphne and Fairhope places I go and they never seem to acquire a haul like that.

And how do you fry them? Like do you filet them or do you just fry them on the bones?

I need to get back into fishing, I need a hobby that i can afford to do haha.

I got to Navarre. I prefer mullet that come out of clear water as opposed to turbid water. We filet them and keep some of the backbones to fry. You can get a 9' bag net for less than $100, but it's made out of a smaller test mono, so it won't be as durable. My net is one of the good ones, but dad bought one of the cheap ones last year and he's about to have to replace it.

all I know is that Jeep and his dad caught 60 in 2 hours. Then the next time, while alone, his dad caught 50 in an hour and a half. I think we found the weak link.....

We learned where they were the first time, it was just a little too late to really haul them in by that point. Dad knew exactly where to go when he went back. If I had been able to open my net on Saturday, we would have ended up with twice the amount we did.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just go to the beach. Really anywhere where the water is clear and the waves arent to bad.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea I used to fish a lot at the piers here around Baldwin but I would always throw back or give to other people I saw that were keeping. I did catch a big beautiful trout a couple summers ago and probably would if kept it if I had a cooler. I gave it to a dad and his son up the pier a bit from me. I think that's the only time I've ever got anything besides cat and kroakers from that water. String rays too I guess.
    Neèd to take more advantage of the water around here, will be out of here before I know it.

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I must be deprived. I have never ate or fished for mullet. At least I have been told.

Really? How long have you lived here? I am 35 born and raised in Baldwin county and I have been eating mullet as long as I can remember, you are definitely missing out. I don't know about where to get good fried mullet at a restaurant but over here Sea N Suds in Gulf Shores has good fried AUCE mullet Friday nights and I think Tuesday nights also.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really? How long have you lived here? I am 35 born and raised in Baldwin county and I have been eating mullet as long as I can remember, you are definitely missing out. I don't know about where to get good fried mullet at a restaurant but over here Sea N Suds in Gulf Shores has good fried AUCE mullet Friday nights and I think Tuesday nights also.

He ain't from around here. Looks like I'm gonna have to drag Farook's ass over to Chets one day.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like how Jeep's net makes a crumpled up oval pattern on the water yet his dad's net makes a perfect circle. Quit holding him back!!

Top Bottom