• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oh, I don't need ivory, Damascus, diamonds, gold, or any other kind of silliness that doesn't add to its function.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Bingo; that pistol is an attempt at art not function, and in my opinion failed miserably in the art dept. Gold plate,damascus and ivory seems to be geared toward the pimp market. Those adorations, along with the price tag have nothing in common with the price tag of a hand fitted, meticulously built Wilson pistol.
    An easy analogy, readily understood along the coast because of the strong fishing culture, would be to consider this conversation as if it were dealing with fishing equipment, you want to go hit the rigs and wrecks with a Zebco outfit....or Penn?....I know, I know, someone is gonna say "hell, Ive used Zebcos for years, great fishing gear"!!!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My Desert Eagle, however is art, combat weapon, NO WAY!!! Noisy single action art and I LOVE it for it.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that what you are going to let me shoot? The only one I ever saw in real life was the 44mag one and it was awsome. When shot at an indoor range the walls shook.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good posts Dan and Az-Vic.

I don't like trashing other people's guns, but from what I've seen the last 20ish years is that Springfield Armory consistently puts out a good 1911 in all of the price categories and what I've seen with the Ruger 1911 is that for about every 5-6 people that sing their praises there seems to be 2-3 people bitching that their gun doesn't function for crap. A friend of mine I used to teach with has one right now he's about to do a gun show dump with because can't get through 3 mags without a malfunction and after two trips to back to Ruger it doesn't work any better. I think his is the extreme case, but I rarely hear of an SA 1911 going back multiple times and returning non-functioning. The good with Ruger is that they eventually make their stuff work right out of the box, the bad is they have a history of doing customer product beta testing to get their manufacturing to a point where it's reliable. I love Ruger products, but rarely(almost never) buy a newly introduced gun of theirs until it's been on the market a few years and they get the beta testing out of the way. Don't believe me, look at their LCP, SR9, SR556 and American Rimfire, all had significant safety issues out of the gate. It doesn't mean they won't become great guns at some point, but Ruger has a history of too early of a release without enough testing and evaluation.

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/index.html

http://www.ruger.com/RugerAmericanRimfire22WMRFRecall/index.html

http://www.ruger.com/SR556VTRecall/index.html

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Is that what you are going to let me shoot? The only one I ever saw in real life was the 44mag one and it was awsome. When shot at an indoor range the walls shook.

Snow, I'll gladly accept your challenge as a shooter. 6, 5 shot groups slow fire, Best one group wins. (Feel free to come up with something better) 1 crisp Benjamin to the winner. However, to test the guns against each other, as opposed to the shooters I do feel like at least one other independent party should shoot them and let the calipers decide. It's not about the shooters. However, if you're a better shooter than me, you'll certainly appreciate my Wilson. I've had 3 Wilson's, 2 nighthawks, 2 springfields and 2 Les Baer's, my one remaining Wilson is pure magic, and I enjoy sharing it.

If you think the 44 shook the walls, you'd better hang on to the 50 AE, but wait for my two 500 S&W Magnums. They produce twice the power of the 50 AE. Lots of fun. Much of the enjoyment of owning guns like that is sharing them with people. I'd be happy to meet you at the range, just make sure you wear your tightest set of whities that day. ;)

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    While we're at it, to my disappointment, the Ruger felt very un-Ruger like. Loose, rattly, sproingy (yes, technical term), cheap feeling thing with a crappy trigger. Sorry, Ruger owners. Maybe there's a huge degree of variance?
    IMO, Springfield is the one to beat.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OP would probably love to have his hand at a higher end 1911 just to say one way or other... I know lots a folk on here that would give him a shot. I personally would, but I have a Taurus. :)

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always look forward to Dirty Steves comment for the day. Lol.

Yes, you're absolutely right it's just a pissing contest. But hey, any shooting day is a good day. Maybe Dirty Steve can join.

Lmao!! If it ain't fun, I'm old enough to walk away from the playground and drive myself home...:)

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought this was frindley? You know I am retired and can't afford 100 but I will go for 20. I think it's all about the shooter when having a contest on shooting. The only thing an independent shooter would be able to tell the diffrence in is the trigger pull.

Also this was about ME being able to tell the diffrence wasn'nt it. I would love to see your 500 as I have never seen one.

As for the format that sounds fine to me. Can't do any more than lose a few bucks. If you price me out of this you don't have that much confindance in yourself or your shooting and are just showing that you have more money than me.

Also you stated you will accept my challenge as a shooter and then say it's not about the shooter.?

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let's give Obama's security team out of box Armscor 1911 and Armscor Ammo. This would be a blind Government test of loyalty......... No radio's or satellites! Just say'n!@Go Fu#@*self Obama.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The THREAD is about the pistols. That should be settled somehow.
    The challenge is about the shooters, which is fine by me. My 20/20 vision and steady hand vs your experience. My pistol does give me an unfair advantage, however. Should be interesting.
    My two 500's are a sight to see and amazing to shoot.

Can we tentatively say next Thursday at Santa Rosa?

In case you missed it in my reloading thread, these are my giggle makers, get excited:
    avuhy3y9.jpg

I'm sure there will be at least one thing I regret typing in the morning, but for now, keep the party going and the bourbon flowing.
    (Yes, we do have people over, it's not just me, lol).

Last edited:

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan Vicoden and Beer here just don't trust my life to $300 gold hammers and $10000 gold toilet seats. Just say'n NIXON is rolling over say'n I resigned WHY!

Top Bottom