• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    “There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person’s lawful prey. It’s unwise to pay too much, but it’s worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money — that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot — it can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

some old dead white guy said that..usually attributed to john ruskin

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This has been some years ago but my grandpa would drive into town and pick up anything he didn't have on his shelf from the hardware or feed store and take it back and sell it for what he normally would sell his stocked item for. Sometimes losing money, but kept his customers coming in the door and coming back. He was in business for over 60 years. He was all about that dollar, but he took care of people fairly. I learned a lot from him. Wish I could have paid attention when I was younger, I could have soaked in a lot more.

That's a nice memory. That's quite a feat to keep a store open for that long.

I've "lost" money on gas blocks, tubes, grips etc to close a deal, because I didn't want to make change, or I was helping people out. When I did I always had plenty more on hand or could get more in short order.

A "gun shop" (academy, bass pro etc don't count. They're large enough that they get best possible pricing on guns/ammo, they're first in line to get guns/ammo, they're still making money on that guns/ ammo, BUT they're still making a 500% profit on Chinese dodge balls) that hasn't raised pricing is going to sell out of their stock and then not be able to replace it. Nothing to sell, no money coming in. The longer the panic the more likely the smaller shops are going to have to close up.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The market will drive prices.

If you have a business model that doesn't care about repeat customers, then you can price at/above the going rate.

If you have a business model that is better off with repeat customers, you're better off long-term if you don't triple your prices overnight. Instead, incrementally raise prices as your supply chain and some prudent forecasting dictates. Ride out the panic surge with reduced profit. Your customers will remember that yours were the best prices in town, even throughout the "gouging" and despite you maybe not having as much in-stock. They will check your store first. They will stay loyal to your shop. They will buy other things and try to help you keep your lights on. They will stay a customer after the panic is over.

Spend your money how you wish... while you still have the option.

I don't fault someone for offering ammo at ridiculous prices. I do fault them for taking it personally if/when they are reminded that they are ridiculous prices.

For example, if you are selling 5.56 ammo right now for 60-cents-a-round, most of us know you bought it for closer to 30-cents-a-round. Do I fault you for selling a for a profit? Hell no, I'm not a filthy Communist. Do I think you're a smarmy used-car-salesman for touting it as a "great deal"? Yes. Yes, I do. If it wasn't against the rules, and I commented on your thread "holy crap that's not a great deal; it's double what we all paid in January", and your response was all defensive and pissy, instead of "yup, sign of the times, it'll probably be cheaper this time next year, if no one buys it before then, just offering an option for those who want it that badly", well you get the idea.

Rock on, my Capitalist brethren. Get your profits from the unprepared or overly worrisome. Just be honest in the ad. :)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A local businessman who's whole business model was based on buying off the street and reselling it for profit once told me that he's gotta make at least three times what he paid for an item, or he wasn't even covering his overhead. And his building was paid for and he didn't have any employees. So I'm sure even at doubling the price of the ammo, these gun store employees buying from Academy aren't sustainable
    One reason to have some ammo, even if it is high priced is to get people into your shop. This assumes you have something else sell. Also if you do sell say a .22, you ought to have at least one box of ammo to go with the gun.
    About building up hordes
    I do have primers, just not a life time supply. I really do not like storing what really are munitions in large quantities because of safety issues and also some sort of temperature control is needed, especially for loaded ammo and powder. Say if one had 5K of primers each in SP LP SR and LR, plus some shotgunprimers, that seems at 20K to be a lot of primers, but not if you start reloading and consuming it.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I suspect at least 8 months to recover from extreme prices and 1.5 years till prices somewhat return.

If Biden gets the WH and the Dems get control of Congress too, it will never recover.

And, if that happens and the indirect gun control laws allow frivolous liability/faulty product lawsuits against gun manufactures and after market manufacturers there will be no suppliers.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I would not sell at triple prices, unless there was sufficient re-supply to stock back up..at a reasonable replacement price...

buy low, sell higher is ingrained in us, just a matter how much we can stand to pay..

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll look and find deals compared to panic prices. I'll buy knowing I'm going to sell 50% of what I bought at the price I bought the whole lot for. This way I get stuff for free!!!

If you don't need it don't buy it. Simple as that. If you feel you need it enough you'll pay what it's going for. The free market decides what the going rate is.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Maybe I’m wrong here (wouldn’t be the first time, and I’m sure someone will tell me I am), but I just don’t understand all the discussion of price gouging. In my mind it really just doesn’t exist, at least not within the realm of "discretionary" purchases like guns & ammo. If the "market" price becomes higher than someone wants to pay, suddenly it's a "gouger" price.

Prices on items like guns & ammo are ultimately not set by sellers, they are set by buyers who vote with their Dollars. If someone offers to sell something at “gouger” prices and no one buys it, who has been “gouged”? If a seller needs the income from sales to survive, and no one is buying, he must lower prices. On the other hand, if people make a conscious decision to buy it, the “gouger” price has then been substantiated, but have the buyers (who chose to pay the price) actually been “gouged”?

Prices will continue to rise only if buyers support it. Even if a shooter didn’t stock up heavily, surely he can still survive this madness by reducing training and plinking for a while. If he finds himself completely without ammo and is only now starting to worry about self/family protection or the coming zombie and/or liberal apocalypse, well, you just can’t fix stupid. My only sympathy is extended to new shooters just getting started. Unfortunately, I don’t see a good solution for them at this time, and that is sad.

If Biden wins (God forbid) in November, (and yes, everyone knew this critical election was coming, so why didn’t they stock up?) next year will bring a new norm, whatever it might be, but for now, buying is a personal choice and a wager on future prices and shortages….pay or pass. JMO & YMMV

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have an issue with someone selling items for 5 times the going rate if that is the current standard. It's how the market works.

Gouging in my book is selling over the inflated price. Forget about what it used to sell for.
    Example would be a dollar item is now 3. Yes you can find it for 2 but 3 is the inflated rate. Selling for 5 would be out of line.

What idiot would pay five if it's available for two (rhetorical question)? I think that's the crux of the issue. Gouging (again, a BS term) requires cooperation on both sides.

When I was a youngster our church would have fundraisers to help send kids to summer camp. I remember walking door-to-door selling whatever. There was always someone who would say, "A dollar! They're only seventy-nine cents at the dime store (young guys, ask older guys). I once responded you could always walk the three miles downtown to get one. Got a butt-beating for talking to an adult in such a fashion, but it was worth it.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have some 22lr for sale $1/round. I will separate and provide a ziplock bag for $5 additional

All purchases of $10 or more comes with a complimentary role of Toilet paper.

I fully expect to get pms about this in 5.2 years after a Dem is elected President, asking if I am still offering this.

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have a business model that is better off with repeat customers, you're better off long-term if you don't triple your prices overnight. Instead, incrementally raise prices as your supply chain and some prudent forecasting dictates.

There is a well-known company that was one of the first to significantly raise prices after Sandy Hook. Couldn't tell you how many people have sworn to never utter the name again. Here we are eight years later, their prices are skyrocketing and they're as big (or bigger) than in 2012. The majority would purchase from them again if they were suddenly the only game in town.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Maybe I’m wrong here (wouldn’t be the first time, and I’m sure someone will tell me I am), but I just don’t understand all the discussion of price gouging. In my mind it really just doesn’t exist, at least not within the realm of "discretionary" purchases like guns & ammo. If the "market" price becomes higher than someone wants to pay, suddenly it's a "gouger" price.

Prices on items like guns & ammo are ultimately not set by sellers, they are set by buyers who vote with their Dollars. If someone offers to sell something at “gouger” prices and no one buys it, who has been “gouged”? If a seller needs the income from sales to survive, and no one is buying, he must lower prices. On the other hand, if people make a conscious decision to buy it, the “gouger” price has then been substantiated, but have the buyers (who chose to pay the price) actually been “gouged”?

Prices will continue to rise only if buyers support it. Even if a shooter didn’t stock up heavily, surely he can still survive this madness by reducing training and plinking for a while. If he finds himself completely without ammo and is only now starting to worry about self/family protection or the coming zombie and/or liberal apocalypse, well, you just can’t fix stupid. My only sympathy is extended to new shooters just getting started. Unfortunately, I don’t see a good solution for them at this time, and that is sad.

If Biden wins (God forbid) in November, (and yes, everyone knew this critical election was coming, so why didn’t they stock up?) next year will bring a new norm, whatever it might be, but for now, buying is a personal choice and a wager on future prices and shortages….pay or pass. JMO & YMMV

I have sold some ammo at my cost to a couple of guys who could not get any after buying their first pistols. I know they wanted to practice - and in one case teach his wife how to shoot.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Reload, folks! Equipment i
    I just purchased a 9mm 45acp a 10mm auto a5.56 and a .38spc plus p.
    Never shot before and can't find ammo anywhere! Could you help me out sir?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    Sure, I'd be glad to help, young feller. Come on over :D

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Unfortunately James . . . it's coming.
    WTF does anyone think will happen if Biden wins. Or even if he doesn't,when the election is just days away and the poles gives him even the slightest possibility.
    Then . . . if Trump wins,how long will it take the markets to level off again.
    Nope . . . ammo is high and going higher. It will remain high for the foreseeable future.
    People should have bought. If you are finally waking up from slumber the train has left the station. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: This reminds me . . gotta raise the price of my for sale ammo.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately James . . . it's coming.
    WTF does anyone think will happen if Biden wins. Or even if he doesn't,when the election is just days away and the poles gives him even the slightest possibility.
    Then . . . if Trump wins,how long will it take the markets to level off again.
    Nope . . . ammo is high and going higher. It will remain high for the foreseeable future.
    People should have bought. If you are finally waking up from slumber the train has left the station. ---- SAWMAN
    At least some of the bookies on the internet are giving the best odds of winning to Biden. Hillary last time did win the popular vote. One reason I went a head purchase the ARs that I basically need.

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a G19 Gen 4 Does not come with case or factory goodies , will throw in a "Clip" for extra cost. Only 5500 rds down the pipe all lead ammo , also upgraded with hard to find nickel boron blackstrap pin.
    $3500 will consider trades

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom