• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    our state makes alot of money off of black water pine forest by managing controlled burns there is less chance of forest fires like California and Oregon have.
    but you are correct it hurts our wildlife and has caused loss of native animal and plant species,fire ants are the number 1 cause of quail and turkey loss and hurt wild life, followed by forest burning but by far and large fire ants and predation by house cats and habitat loss is the main problems
    do your part by trapping and target practice provide dense areas for small ground animals to nest write letters to ask for maintaing natural woodlands areas what else can you do and bait the fire ants on your property

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Chinquapin tree.
    I remember my dad talking about them when I was pretty young, but they had all died off before I was old enough to pay attention. I’ll be following this thread as I’m interested in seeing if they can be brought back to this area.
    They are in the hunting camp now, but very few. Ive seen deer eating them in the off season. Anything that will keep the deer in the area im all for.

Tungoil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like the alligator's, the Hawks and those in that family have been protected so long that nature has gotten out of balance. Go to a dove hunt, watch a hawk fly through the field, and you might as well go home.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct!
    Went back this afternoon and they’re bustin open and creatures are finding the nuts.

217BC412-6C4B-4315-A2EE-CC625BF8311D.jpeg

8189F116-38DF-4B6C-A002-BC67F8C2A025.jpeg

FOUND many small plants that were planted by squirrels.

Tagged them with engineer tape and will return this winter when they’re dorment and dig’em up for transplanting.
    I’ll ressurect this thread then to see if any inmates here wanna go with me to grab a few.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct!
    Went back this afternoon and they’re bustin open and creatures are finding the nuts.

View attachment 92039

View attachment 92040

FOUND many small plants that were planted by squirrels.

Tagged them with engineer tape and will return this winter when they’re dorment and dig’em up for transplanting.
    I’ll ressurect this thread then to see if any inmates here wanna go with me to grab a few.
    I will be first line with a shovel help.
    The ones I got from you last time I looked had not yet done anything. Maybe they have to stay on the tree to ripen. My regular chestnuts should be close to doing the same.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guessing I may have collected at least 100 nuts.

It would be great if I could pass them off to you.

Maybe be Wednesday at the Escambia River Gun range?

A few of us meet @ 8am on range 4. Shoot a little/BS a lot.
    Let me know how to pass these off to you.
    View attachment 91531

View attachment 91532

DUDE!! PLANT THEM AROUND ERML!!!
    God knows that place needs some shade trees...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DUDE!! PLANT THEM AROUND ERML!!!
    God knows that place needs some shade trees...
    They are not the right tree for that and also Earth moving is a constant there. Sometime in the future when things are more fixed maybe. The problem is that nut trees and perhaps fruit trees growing on what is equivalent to hazardous waste site contaminated with metals is not a place to plant such trees. Years ago I was at a work party there and this lovely lady that working exclaimed how much she loved the black/dew berries that were growing on the berms. Lead does get incorporated into various plants. I do not know specifically how it is with chestnuts for lead.

Some ranges do plant specific trees to help stabilized berms and to also mitigate sound. But one needs to figure it out before you do it.

i would like to see people plant the chiquapins in their yards and the seeds will get spread by mother nature to suitable locations. Some of the chinquapins that grow in the wild have some resistance to blight and others do not. If they are left to just grow and not poisoned or burned out, a new race of blight resistance nuts will evolve in this region.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Found one in Blackwater but the nuts are not ready yet. I’m going to keep checking till they start to open then get what I can. The wife says she will plant them in pots so she can baby them until she can transplant them.
    758B93B9-77F3-4D94-B034-81ACCE8F3067.jpeg

Attachments

• 6010208C-C317-4595-953F-F8D5BE496745.jpeg
      6010208C-C317-4595-953F-F8D5BE496745.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 87

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    how big do they get?

It is a spreading shrub or small tree, reaching 2–8 m (6 ft 7 in–26 ft 3 in) in height at maturity. The bark is red- or gray-brown and slightly furrowed into scaly plates. The leaves are simple, narrowly elliptical or lanceolate, yellow-green above and paler and finely hairy on the underside.

Is this what you are seeing in the wild?

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    how big do they get?

It is a spreading shrub or small tree, reaching 2–8 m (6 ft 7 in–26 ft 3 in) in height at maturity. The bark is red- or gray-brown and slightly furrowed into scaly plates. The leaves are simple, narrowly elliptical or lanceolate, yellow-green above and paler and finely hairy on the underside.

Is this what you are seeing in the wild?

The one I saw today was about 10’ tall and maybe 6’ in diameter
    That’s about the size of the ones that we got nuts from 50+ years ago
    Edit due to fn spellcheck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk guy

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I will be second in line to help. Now that I know they are coming in, I'm going to do some searching. And ask some old timers that i know, if they know where some trees are or were.
    Thanks everyone for the interest and the work members have done to locate, collect and mark specimens. Hopefully we can propagate them for future generations. The pictures are great to help me identify the trees. Thanks so much!

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are rare.

Most especially compared to the other shrubs and tree species in the woods.

Except for ONE spot where signs posted saying “Quail Habitat Project”.
    All the OTHER plants I saw ONLY survived at the extreme edge of the road away from the burning that takes place, and they all have brush cutter damage.
    They can survive the cutting no problem it seems.

Marked these little trees that were found in the quail area away from mother plant:

8926FA9C-2D10-4EFB-BACD-A189F6326EB3.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom