• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I’ve been looking for one for decades and finally found some in Blackwater Forest on private property where the forestry didn’t burn.
    Tagged the parent while it had the tiny/spiney chestnuts growing and dug up a offspring in the winter and planted on my property.
    As you can see its doing well.
    21F453A8-2BA8-44F7-94EB-E0DADD24F28C.jpeg

D97E08CC-EC0E-4601-B3DB-280963A5D270.jpeg

Maybe I’ll get some nuts in a few more years.

Back in the 60’s, my Dad would take us along the Perdido river on the Florida side to gather the nuts.
    There’re gone now mostly from forest burning I suppose.

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Man, it's hard for me to control my anger on how badly they miss managed OUR forests. Poisoning everything! Planting profit pines at the massacre of local wildlife. I'm ashamed of my "Forestry Service " and how they destroyed the forest and local wildlife. ***** on them! (Vent ranting!)

Last edited:

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plus 1!!!!!

What are the deer suppose to eat?
    Crops?

Where are all the quail?
    Those dummys burn during the nesting season.
    Quail nest on the ground,,,am I right?
    Pretty sure pressure in recent decades from hogs along with coyotes add to the reduced numbers.
    When was the last time you heard a Bobwhite quail whistle??

Sacrifice wildlife for the almighty Long Leaf Pine.

This is guessing on my part, but if not for hunting regulations and Wild Turkey Federation, I’m guessing turkeys would be extinct by now.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It has the alternative spelling of chinkapin also and I am not sure which is the most correct. The word has a native american origin.
    I know where one is growing and I went back to check it for nuts. But it has been knocked down and seems to be growing up again. Maybe next year if it does not get hit again it may have nuts on it that can be planted.

Relative to forestry, a pine forest if it is not burned at about three yr intervals gets choked with undergrowth and when a fire does get started, it burns hotter and will kill the pine trees. If poison is used, it will be most often applied about right aways and yes that could kill chinquapins. Forests in this area predating the spanish were managed by burning and yet there were chinquapins and paw paws growing. The native americans saw to that. .
    Keep your eyes open when out in woods and likely you will find one.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So if you got a sapling, and know how to spell it, message here...
    There are Bunches in Blackwater. Not sure if you're not supposed to take any tree from there or not? I don't see why you can't, they burn and mow them (all kinds of trees) down every year to plant pine trees in their place. I used to get dogwood trees. Even had a fwc drive by when I got 2 of them some years ago, one was hanging over the tailgate, I was digging the other. He didn't stop, soooo I guess it's ok.

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Bla, f×ck the pine forests. The deer and squirrel can barely survive on pine nuts! It's a shame on the"STEWARDS OF OUR FORREST" THAT have destroyed our natural wildlife. Killing natural trees to forward profits from natural forest to propagate political and profitable outcomes is a HORROR!
    (still ranting...)

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    There are Bunches in Blackwater. Not sure if you're not supposed to take any tree from there or not? I don't see why you can't, they burn and mow them (all kinds of trees) down every year to plant pine trees in their place. I used to get dogwood trees. Even had a fwc drive by when I got 2 of them some years ago, one was hanging over the tailgate, I was digging the other. He didn't stop, soooo I guess it's ok.
    I have never seen bunches of chinquapin. Ever

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Or dogwoods, or anything but the profitable long leaf pine. Who cares about the ecosystem? .let's pillage all of our natural resources. F- the wildlife. I'm so sick of politicians burning our forests fo "safety" and profit,. (OMG, GET OVER IT, OK)

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never seen bunches of chinquapin. Ever
    It is best to have two different seedlings to guarantee pollination. I strongly suspect that the ones in this area are self fertile, but sources recommend having two of them. Mine is growing next to chestnuts so it will be cross pollinated.
    Most of our chinquapins are:
    Castanea pumila, commonly known as the Allegheny chinquapin, American chinquapin (from the Powhatan) or dwarf chestnut, is a species of chestnut native to the southeastern United States. The native range is from Maryland and extreme southern New Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania south to central Florida, west to eastern Texas, and north to southern Missouri and Kentucky. The plant's habitat is dry sandy and rocky uplands and ridges mixed with oak and hickory to 1000 m elevation. It grows best on well-drained soils in full sun or partial shade.
    There is a larger chinquapin in the Ozarks
    About The Tree – THE OZARK CHINQUAPIN FOUNDATION
    ozarkchinquapinmembership.org › about-the-tree

The Ozark chinquapin (Castanea ozarkensis), sometimes called the Ozark chestnut, is a drought tolerant hardwood tree that reaches up to 65 feet tall and 2-3 ...

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I remember trees, and if I worked hard enough, the fruit of the tree!
    They have raped our forests and hardly no one says a word...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This site says: https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/castanea-pumila/
    Fire Risk: This plant has a medium flammability rating.

Regions: Mountain, Piedmont, Coastal Plains

Seasons of Interest:

Blooms:
    Summer Nut/Fruit/Seed: Fall

Wildlife Value: This plant is moderately resistant to damage from deer. Its nuts are eaten by woodpeckers, bluejays, small mammals, wild turkeys, black bears, and white-tailed deer.

Insects, Diseases, or Other Plant Problems: Chinkapin is moderately resistant to chestnut blight, but fewer trees are reported each year due to the inhibitory effects of the fungus

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Precisely, they are profit drivin. Please, if any employee of the forestry service is on here, edit: I am sorry, rant over...

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Precisely, they are profit drivin. Please, if any employee of the forestry service is on here, defend your position of killing our forests and natural habitats. They can't and they won't. Silence is the answer. Shame on you.
    It's Not the Officers Fault. They're just following orders from the Head Forestry Idiot in Tallahassee

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are no quail left! They killed them all! BASTARDS!
    When I moved into my 8 plus acres in pace about 91 there was a large covey of quail in the area. Nothing was touched by Forestry or any one else except some land clearing and what has been a farm stopped. The quail disappeared. There were a lot of fox in the area and since there had not been any fires for years the underbrush (understory) was very thick. Two summers ago one did show up to sing for one day and then nothing more.
    In the last 15 years foxes have become less common just about the time that coyotes became more common, but still no quail.

GAINESVILLE, Fla., May 2, 2017 --The Bobwhite Quail in Florida is in trouble. In fact, populations across Florida and throughout the southeastern US have dropped from an estimated 31 million to only 5.5 million in the past 50 years. That's 80 percent of the population just gone.
    The internet is full of reports.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom