• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    True there are predators out there.
    Also, environmental concerns may be a factor on why the birds are gone.
    Pesticides, poisons, and the like.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    But there's still the older, naturally diverse forest that is gone, replaced by planted pines.
    No food and no cover, I'd leave too...

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But there's still the forest that is gone, replaced by planted pines.
    No food and no cover, I'd leave too...
    I really do not know enough about it, except to say that the quail are declining on the entire east coast and also in the deep south.
    I am sure that habitat is part of it. I do not have training in game management and so am limiting what I say. We have been throwing the word pine around quite a bit. I am not sure if all pine forests are the same. The forests in this area since the civil war and earlier have been cut down repeatedly. The original dominant tree in much of this region was the long leaf pine and there is not too much of it around and there are programs to bring it back. I do not know if that type of forest is good for quail or not.
    The forest that covered my area when I moved in was planted in rows and from the tree rings was planted about the early 50's that seems to be if I got right is the last time they loged on my property. From what I understand they did a lot of logging around quintet and had cleared the area around the Canal that parallels the escambia river about the quintet bridge in the 50's.
    I took a chain saw course a couple of years ago on the black water and the trees that I saw were not real old. I guess that they have replanted some of those areas and so I assume it is the management of those areas that is in question.

When I get a chance I will talk to some people that know more than I about it. It will likely be after this covid thing is over we start having meetings again.
    Below what was the forest when the white man arrive here relative to the longleaf pine.

1596322879982.png

Below is a current map of longleaf pine. I do not understand all of the values on the new map but it is certainly a lot fewer longleaf pine trees and they planning to plant more and restore it to what it was.
    What will this do to quail, turkey, and deer populations?

1596323146286.png

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got you some Highcard!
    I volunteer to pot some seeds and grow them for some of the others here. If more than a few want them I do have my limits. I have done it with chestnuts and chinquapins should be the same. Stratify the seeds in the fridge first. not sure if it needed. Place in a small pot or in ground. If you plant directly in the ground. You must cover with mesh to make a sure a squirrel does not dig them up. I gave some hybrid chinquapin seeds to a neighbor. He planted them and the next morning everyone was dug up and gone. If in a pot germinate them indoors.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guessing I may have collected at least 100 nuts.

It would be great if I could pass them off to you.

Maybe be Wednesday at the Escambia River Gun range?

A few of us meet @ 8am on range 4. Shoot a little/BS a lot.
    Let me know how to pass these off to you.
    View attachment 91531

View attachment 91532
    If you get to the range at 8AM. How long do you stay. I do recall there some groups use to meet at the range and I did not know it was still being done. IIRC correctly you have been around for a long time.
    i apparently lost my new member card and I need get a new one that will likely be real pain. I had a lot of trouble proving to the less than knowledgeable people in the office that I had paid. those people are a real pain. Fortunately I still had the email on my computer. I had this woman going on and on that I had not. I had to go and make a separate trip home. come back with the email. Once Melinda left a new learning curve was needed.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only a couple hours.
    Its hot out there.

Sign-in was super easy last Wednesday.
    I am planning to show about 9AM on wed if you are able to bring the chinquapin nuts. If that is not good, please let me know.
    I found my ID.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked the burrs this morning and I will dry them hoping for the seeds to be expelled.

Here are instruction for germinating and planting purchased seeds from the related Ozark Chinquapin. It is a bigger tree but the protocol for seed germination/planting should be the same.

Storing Seed and Germination

The Ozark Chinquapin has unique requirements for optimum growth. Unlike many trees the Ozark Chinquapin nut puts down a taproot in the fall of the year similar to what a white oak acorn does in the fall. Because of this seed collected in the fall of the year and planted the following spring often will not germinate. You can simulate conditions in the outdoors by placing the seed in a seal-able plastic bag and add moistened peat moss (damp not wet) and place it in your refrigerators crisper.
    The seed will eventually sprout a root in 2-4 months depending upon temperature (ideal temperature is between 34-42 degrees F). This method assures good seedling development. An anti-fungal agent has been added to the peat moss your seed were shipped in. However, it is still important to blow air into the bag 1-2 times a week to prevent mold.

Planting Location

Select a planting location that is full sun and has well drained soil. Rocky dry poor soil that has a slope is an ideal location. However, the trees can grow in a variety of locations as long as there is good drainage for the root system and sun. The roots cannot tolerate any standing water. A good test is to pour a quart container onto the intended location to see how quickly the water will disappear. If the water disappears into the ground in less than a minute the site is suitable. Avoid locations near standing water or where water stands after a heavy rain.

Planting Seed

When to plant: Plant the germinated nut directly in the ground (not in pots) the following spring as soon as the threat of frost has passed. Plant about half an inch deep directly into the ground. We do not recommend planting into pots. Your seed have been carefully selected and by Jan.-March a tap root will begin to emerge to a length of at least 1-4 inches. It is critical to the survival of your tree when planting your seedlings to make sure the taproot is not in any way damaged. If it is damaged the tree will produce a shallow root system and will die when dry late summer conditions occur.

Protection

Squirrels, mice, chipmunks, and a host of other animals will attempt to pull the still attached nut from the plant if they can get to it. This will eventually cause the plant to die. For this reason a 4FT tall grow tube is highly recommended. You need the 4Ft Tubex tree shelte. You can order Forestry Suppliers here: https://goo.gl/T1bJuP The grow tube will accelerate tree growth, serve as a scent barrier to rodents and protect it from browsing deer as well. Without protection loss of newly planted seed is high. Some insect like chinquapin leaves as well and it is a good idea to spray the leaves of your young tree with a fruit tree insecticide, especially the first year. Use the grow tube immediately after planting.

Under good conditions your tree will start to produce nuts in 3-5 years. Ozark chinquapins are not self-pollinating and will need another tree.
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Ozark Chinquapin range. We are dealing the smaller Allegheny Chinquapin.
    1599671331873.png

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    FrommerStop I would love a plant! Or I'll take some seeds. My daughter is good with plants and getting seeds to grow. (Atleast the avocado plants she shows me lol)

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be happy to share the burrs or seed pods that share the seeds. Here the motto about not counting your chickens before they hatch is important. I would more than willing to share what ever results from the planting experiment.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Chinquapin tree.
    I remember my dad talking about them when I was pretty young, but they had all died off before I was old enough to pay attention. I’ll be following this thread as I’m interested in seeing if they can be brought back to this area.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a question, if you find one how do you know the seeds are ready to pick so you'll have viable seeds?
    That is something we are not absolutely sure about. If the burr breaks open and the seeds/kernel are lying om the ground we know they are, but the critters may have got them by then. Plinker picked intact burrs and I am waiting to see if they open or not. He plans to go back and see if he can find them in a more mature state.

Top Bottom