• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    If it does work on 1/4" plate, I'd bet thats about all it would push thru. A .44 mag won't go thru quarter inch plate nor any other pistol or revolver round, so Im suspect the big slow 12 gauge slug will.....
    Velocity is a big factor in boring thru metal, Ive got tiny little .17 caliber rounds, .17 remington and .17 mach 4, that will burrow right thru 3/8" plate, and they don't have steel cores, just little 25 grain hollow point bullets.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have both editions of a(signed) set of books titled "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders" authored by the famous P.O. Ackley. Back in the 50's(IIRC) he did tests for the US Government related to AP. He got a 30gr bronze bullet coming out of a 220Swift to 5000fps+. It would penetrate all sorts of armor. He also did some pretty impressive tests with a 30cal projectile in a sabot, loaded into a 50BMG.

Speed + bullet shape(ogive and meplate) + bullet makeup ='s AP capabilities..... IMO. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Amazingly, one can drill clean holes in 3/8" steel with a 45 grain soft point out of a .22-250 (or a Swift) when the big heavy hitters just splatter.

That slug has a cool factor and someone getting hit on the chest plate will be out of action or worse but penetrate armor, I doubt it.

+1 on the Dixie Slugs Sawman. If someone wants an ass kicker, here it is.

474_ixl.jpg

Heat treated, 870 gr. @ 1200 fps out of a shotgun barrel, not a test barrel.

Last edited:

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yep speed and hiVl will punch right through but that slug is way to wide and slow to be AP .
    have some AP Buckshot to go with that slug ;]

buckshot.JPG

Attachments

• buckshot.JPG
      buckshot.JPG
      364.3 KB · Views: 479

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    James,down at Dixie slugs is a absolute master of the shotgun heavy hitting ammo. He builds up a Rem 870 Express with a 24" bbl so that the bbl is permanately mated to the receiver with steel impregnated AcraGlass. This makes for one tough and accurate shotgun. This is pretty much all he uses for his testing. He also pushes these slugs through a Imp Cyl IIRC for the best accuracy.

Run the ME figures using a 870gr @ 1200fps and you will see that his ammo is a real thumper. --- SAWMAN

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you say ..."meplate" ?? Show me any projectile that actually works to penetrate armor that is not sharply pointed. .....FAIL !

"Cool factor"... probably. A real thumper ... maybe. BUT ---> You want something that will actually thump....Dixie Slugs(or Tri-Ball) Old Town Hammock,Fla. --- SAWMAN
    It is a pointed projectile. The lead fins are not but I think the stainless part would seperate very quickly when it hits. I'll let you know what happens when I get a chance to shoot some different things.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    was just yanking your chain a bit turtle ;]
    are these sold as AP rounds? I know it will penetrate much better than a solid lead slug but would also have less energy once it sheds its lead just like a race car falling apart dissipates its energy.
    I know the science behind the AK74 round is for the air bubble to Yaw when it hits soft tissue and become completely unstabilised and cause massive damage as a result , where a direct hit on a hard surface is supposed to bust through the air bubble and be a steel penetrator
    545-CrossSection.jpg

Attachments

• 545-CrossSection.jpg
      545-CrossSection.jpg
      18.6 KB · Views: 339
    Last edited:

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    was just yanking your chain a bit turtle ;]
    are these sold as AP rounds? I know it will penetrate much better than a solid lead slug but would also have less energy once it sheds its lead just like a race car falling apart dissipates its energy.
    I know the science behind the AK74 round is for the air bubble to Yaw when it hits soft tissue and become completely unstabilised and cause massive damage as a result , where a direct hit on a hard surface is supposed to bust through the air bubble and be a steel penetrator
    View attachment 6408

I'm glad you posted this . I just bought a VERP 5.45x39 and until yesterday I didn't know about the air buble. And your picture taught me even more. Didn't know about the steel either. Thats one versital round right there and at $200 for a 1080 round spam can it's even better. I'm getting nore and more happy with the purchase every day,

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen what a 50 cal 245 grain hollow point powerbelt (backed with 100 grains of pyrodex) does to a deer head at about 60 yards... I would imagine these would be worse.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was thinking when I got em about the total destruction on flesh thses things would have. I think it would make a very large mess.
    it would sure bust through the shoulder plate on the largest of pigs

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forgive me!!!!! I'm still on their email list I guess and when I saw those slugs for $6.19 per 5rd box I couldn't resist. I know, the Humanity, lol

Zeus

Banned For Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a huge difference between AP and penetrator. Like the difference between M855 and M995

It would depend on what material that projectile is made of, and if steel what hardness rating it has.

Tungsten is usually considered the AP starting point for a rifle cartridge up to big bore if my poor memory serves me right.

With those plus as previously stated the velocity you probably have a penetrator for near to mid distance, but that’s just a wild guess.

1/4" mild should be no problem for a penetrator.

Oh .... and if anyone has any M995 for sale here EVER .... well I will just go ahead and call dibs right now :bump2:

Top Bottom