• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I happened to see a coyote while I had a .22 mag in my hands, I might shoot it if presented with an easy, standing still head shot at a reasonable range…. Though they hardly ever stand still. I would not set out looking for them with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From my experience a shoulder shot or behind The shoulder Lung shot With a 22 magnum is Absolute death on a Coyote.
    20231003_074116.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Dammit. Missed 2 coons. Gotta recheck 0 tomorrow. This system always screws with my head. It's the opposite of how you would normally set a scope. I must have botched it at the very end. Going to use the bog pod this time. To rule out my wiggly free hand shooting. Tweaking the adjustment after i was done or it's the nut behind the butt. Stay tuned. Same bat time. Same bat channel.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Really.... I need a binary trigger. Thinking now I was shooting over them as no impacts anywhere near the targets location. Hard to gauge distance to target in the dark half scope blind in the dark.
    spypoint_676150099545610.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Swing and a miss this am. It's my wiggling free hand shooting. Tried kneeling no luck. Gonna brace against a tree next time. ALG trigger. Seems to be pretty good. But the nut behind the butt is causing the issue I think. Fixin to put the thermal on a 12ga!
    ***Very frustrating. Good scope, mount, great weapon, good ammo Poor shooter. Think I'm 0-6 right now. If I keep this up I can join the Cowboys.

Last edited:

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Swing and a miss this am. It's my wiggling free hand shooting. Tried kneeling no luck. Gonna brace against a tree next time. ALG trigger. Seems to be pretty good. But the nut behind the butt is causing the issue I think. Fixin to put the thermal on a 12ga!

Have you thought about one of those shooting sticks, a standing height monopod for stability?

I’ve never been good at freehand shooting either.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Have you thought about one of those shooting sticks, a standing height monopod for stability?

I’ve never been good at freehand shooting either.

I've got one not much experience with it. I'm about to put a camo drape, bogpod and chair out there. May have to. Just aggravating.
    On the brightside I'm getting pretty good at stalking up on em. Stepped on a stick in the dark the other night, oops. It popped like a firecracker and away they went. Only had to wait about 20 mins and they were back.
    Plenty of trees to prop on.
    20240214_091103.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    0-2 so far tonight. Tried using 5x zoom thinking that might help. Nope. Maybe I need to mount it on a 12ga. Just frustrating. Well on the brightside the coons should start going somewhere else. Can't be more than 3-4 I haven't scared the crap out of.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Gonna try to run the video next time so I can maybe see what it is I'm doing. ***Add another miss, forgot to turn on video. Bs. I think I'm yanking the trigger better yet-
    I'm gonna swap lowers to my hunting lower with push button safety and the LaRue mbt2. And see what's up. That will definitely rule out the alg trigger.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Well have a cool video of me sucking. 3 shots no hit. Even looked back into the plot, and still missed. More screwing around wasting good ammo. 0-6 for the eve. Should use the cheap fmj stuff if I'm just throwing it away.
    Start over with re zeroing tomm and see. May have to setup bog pod and chair I'll zero on the plot where I'm shooting. Mad as hell right now.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ok. Reset. Figured out the issue. You can't clamp clamshell handguards in the bog pod. It screws up the shooting. I had used it to set the scope.
    I was shooting today and was like this damm barrel sucks or the mount or rail. Nope, released the clamp and used it as a cradle holding the handguard and presto back on target. Whew.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Swing and a miss. Coons are wearing level 3 vests.
    Took a shot at a Possum, jumped like he got zapped then tore off into the woods.
    Using hornady spire point, fyi.
    Did get to see 2 foxes and later 4 rabbits which was cool.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Broke the curse. Got one. @50+ yards. Hooray! Used the fmj. 55gr freedom munitions. Was mad about spinning all the good ammo out. Need to check the barrel nut and scrub the bore before i switch to the R15. Used my fixed stock hunting lower with the mbt2 and push button safety.

20240217_012301.jpg

Top Bottom