• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah . . . my opinion - - -> go long bbl with the 6.5C or choose another chambering.
    Peoples reasoning for shooting "long range" with the 6.5C WITH <22 inches of bbl is questionable.
    Unless,of course . . . "I don't care,it's just cooool."
    In my opinion,the AP stuff is good,of course,depending on the price. But as with most guns,uppers,etc,who makes their bbl's ?? --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Ballistic Advantage makes Aero's barrels - Aero owns/partners with Ballistic Advantage. I have been impressed with Aero Precision products, based on my limited knowledge and experience. If you don't mess it up with any modifications, I think you would be happy with Aero products.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Never shot an Aero 6.5, but I’ve built several 5.56s on their receivers. They’re GTG, very good price to performance ratio in my experience.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I had one in 6.5 Creedmoor, and still have one in .308. I sold the 6.5 Creedmoor because I load for .308, and I don't like buying factory ammo. And, the person I most admire, and want to emulate in all areas of my life, continues to bad mouth 6.5 Creedmoor, and I so want that individual to think highly of me. The 6.5 Creedmoor did shoot amazing, for me, with factory ammo - in fact, I called it a "boring gun" because it required no tinkering.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Only down side to the BA barrels are the heavy profile. They're boat anchors. Not a big deal from a bench, but I wouldn't want to lug it around.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I had one in 6.5 Creedmoor, and still have one in .308. I sold the 6.5 Creedmoor because I load for .308, and I don't like buying factory ammo. And, the person I most admire, and want to emulate in all areas of my life, continues to bad mouth 6.5 Creedmoor, and I so want that individual to think highly of me. The 6.5 Creedmoor did shoot amazing, for me, with factory ammo - in fact, I called it a "boring gun" because it required no tinkering.

The guy also has the .308 but in 18 inch. Decisions, decisions.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    James just go ahead and get a RPR in 6.5 JUst because the wife can out shoot you, Is no reason not to. and then you can load for it and may you can catch up with her. I Know she can. And don't lesson to bill I haven't showed him how to do every thing.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I ditched the 6.5C in a gas gun because I could not extract max performance from the cartridge w/o running into damaged brass... not all, but many gas guns limit out performance wise before the cartridge itself does... granted I didn't order several barrels with novel twist rates of modified chambers or bolts designed to reduce pressures. A couple years back when the 6.5C was taking off there were other posts on ARFCOM from guys having the same limitations as I trying to get max FPS out of the gas platform.

Now, again, there are select others out there doing otherwise but I'm sure their barrels and bolts are not over-the-counter Aero parts.

The 6.5C is a proven performer and I'd have to reevaluate the degree of knowledge one has who bad mouths the cartridge's capability.

But to answer your question, yes, the large frame Aero M5 offerings are shooters. I've built five Aero M5 rifles all with Ballistic Advantage barrels. All but one shoots MOA and below with a variety of factory and hand-loaded ammo. The fifth is a 16" Aimpoint outfitted rifle that I've not done any real testing on because it's a CQB/Mid-Range (under 300 yards) rifle.

For my 6.5C shooting, I use my Ruger PR.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Do all your 6.5Creedmoor gas guns have rifle gas and at least 22 inches of bbl ?? --- SAWMAN

If that's a Q for me... my barrel was 24" RLG. Once I started reading about other 6.5C gas gun builders because what I was seeing (couple years ago) is when I started to see lots of guys hitting the pressure wall faster vs. bolt guns, like I was experiencing. Thus I gave it up vs. buying other more expensive barrels and bolts with smaller FP holes.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The dwell time probably comes into play with the mid gas 18" guns.
    AND . . . a 6.5C is better than a well loaded 260Rem that been with us for 20+ years . . because ?? --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The dwell time probably comes into play with the mid gas 18" guns.
    AND . . . a 6.5C is better than a well loaded 260Rem that been with us for 20+ years . . because ?? --- SAWMAN

No doubt. Dwell time, bolt thrust, chamber to bore ratio, all add to the limitations of the gas gun.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    James just go ahead and get a RPR in 6.5 JUst because the wife can out shoot you, Is no reason not to. and then you can load for it and may you can catch up with her. I Know she can. And don't lesson to bill I haven't showed him how to do every thing.

Got ya me. Me and the missus were talking about the Ruger PR yesterday. Probably go with that.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thank yall for the info, I'll prob get a bolt gun.

If you're look at 300-400 yards and in, caliber choice between .308 and 65C is pointless IMO.

An Aero M5 build with BA's 16" SS barrel is not to heavy, delivers a great punch, and has accuracy potential well beyond your needs, and provides follow up capability semi-autos are liked for.

In that case, I'd go .308 simply for the ease of ammo attainment.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    If you're look at 300-400 yards and in, caliber choice between .308 and 65C is pointless IMO.

An Aero M5 build with BA's 16" SS barrel is not to heavy, delivers a great punch, and has accuracy potential well beyond your needs, and provides follow up capability semi-autos are liked for.

In that case, I'd go .308 simply for the ease of ammo attainment.

Yep. I have a rem 700 vtr (wifes) and nef single shot in .308. Picked up an AR in .224 -20 inch on a super deal for a longer range pest gun. Need a +12x scope and trigger time to see if it's as good as the "internet" says.

Latest posts

Top Bottom