Target Sports

Wouldn't a dealer rather sell you a gun instead of doing a transfer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfehollow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does a dealer look at a transfer as a lost sale? Do they do transfers just to get something out if the transaction? I'd feel funny... But I'm a semi-newbie.

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From reading around the interwebs, most dealers find FFL transfers as a waste of time, and that's why most tend to charge so much for them.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine charges me $15 for a transfer. He doesn't like to do them for the same type weapons he has in stock, but it's income that costs him nothing.

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    As a dealer I would consider it a chance to earn someone's business. Certainly they will need ammo for their new purchase if it's not a caliber they already own, bore brush, some targets, etc.. Though to others it could be considered a small shop owner charging for gas to give their customers a ride to walmart.

All these online op's with less over head and huge second hand market booming from places like GB,GA, & AA many dealers with store fronts cannot compete. Some who have been around for years flat out refuse or charge 75$ simply to avoid the hassle. They still will get those customers that come in to handle the gun before purchase or shoot the shit that then turn around and buy it online to save money, in some instances I don't blame them.

If your local gun shop is reasonable, support them.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sixgun...if u are a reasonable dealer then thank you (sincerely)..but too many around here r not..my opinion will probably not be very popular, but with the guns I look at I could save upwards of $100..i am not someone of extreme wealth so I can think of alot of other things to spend $100 on..i would also b glad to spend the extra money on ammo, targets, etc if the dealer ffl fees r not crazy high

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd assume instead of trying to explain why they can't match an online price for a hour and a half, they'd rather just do the transfer and make a little scratch and save their sanity.

That said if my local guy can get pretty close, I don't mind paying extra to buy from them. Not really as much margin in gun sales as you might think.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    smart buyers always buy online unless you "know" a dealer personally

why buy ammo from a gun shop when you will pay far more, NO ONE BEATS walmart. ever. (except for surplus bulk)

with the economy in shambles, spending extra just isnt an option for most, the gun biz is not a biz to enter if you plan on making money unless you are jays :)

Last edited:

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Most the time I was able to match or beat the selling + transfer price, but after the tax man reached in it became difficult depending on the cost of the firearm. I think once a lot of these states start charing sales tax for out of state sales you will see competitive local dealers winning back some business. Customer loyalty goes a long with with a rational dealer.

After moving to the AL GC i've found it difficult to find a consistently reasonable re-seller near by so I buy just about everything online and deal with a local FFL that does not operate a store front.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no money in NEW guns for the mostpart, USED is where the proffit is turned.The exception being high demand items at inflated prices.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pawn shops hit the BEST licks

desperate people who trade their norinco ak for $150, i know so many pawnguys that RAPE people and they ask for it. colt commanders for $200, glocks for $170 ect. seen it in person wanted to offer more but ya cant make an offer in someone elses store lol

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't mind doing transfers. It can be an easy 10-15 bucks but there are times when the customer or the shipper don't make it worth while. If I blow a saturday morning waiting on a customer to pick up their transfer, it quickly becomes a negative value. It does get customers and a lot of my business is repeat.

Worst transfer policy I heard was from a shop (the only one in town) that wanted $75 or 10% of the value of the firearm, whichever was higher, for a transfer. They clearly wanted you to buy from them. The internet makes it hard to be competetive when you have to charge sales tax. As Matt said, there's not much money in 'New'.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everything in this thread so far seems to be centered on buying a new gun online, having it shipped to a local FFL, him receiving the weapon and doing the transfer. In that case I can see where a dealer isn't going to make much money. However, if this background thing passes and is required even for a private FTF sale, the dealer will do fine. Some (a lot actually) can't afford new guns, so they look for used ones on forums, ads, websites, etc. It only takes about 15 minutes for a dealer to call it in, and complete the transfer. If he charges even $25.00 that's $100.00 per hour, and in my book that's pretty good wages. That's also $25.00 he wouldn't have otherwise.

If this thing passes, I also look to see FFL Transfer Services pop up all over the place, just like Notary Services. People will get their licence and start working out of their home, office, garage, whatever. Might even see kiosk popping up in the mall, who knows?

Ranger19

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was in Mike's one day and a guy came in and asked how much they charged to do the FFL transfer and Stan told him. Stan asked him what he was going to
    order and he told him. He was asked what exact model and he handed Stan a piece of paper with the info on it. Stan turned around and handed him the
    exact same gun with more accesories with it for 15.00 dollars more and the guy made some wise crack and turned him down and left. I wonder if this
    happens very often.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wonder if this happens very often.

Doubtful - usually you can get things online for much cheaper than what most gun shops price them for. Also, when you buy from a store - you pay sales tax, when you buy out of state and have it transferred to you - you are not charged tax by the seller.

This becomes very important when you buy expensive firearms - or common firearms at "panic" prices.

For example - I could probably locate a like new HK P7M8 for $1400-1500 online. Mikes or Jays would be looking for $2K+ for the same pistol. 7.5% tax on such an item far outweighs the cost of shipping to Little Jack's and transfer to me for $15 including background fee.

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    smart buyers always buy online unless you "know" a dealer personally

why buy ammo from a gun shop when you will pay far more, NO ONE BEATS walmart. ever. (except for surplus bulk)

with the economy in shambles, spending extra just isnt an option for most, the gun biz is not a biz to enter if you plan on making money unless you are jays :)

I refuse to pay the high prices at some of these gun shops, just so I can be in their little click.....

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't mind doing transfers. It can be an easy 10-15 bucks but there are times when the customer or the shipper don't make it worth while. If I blow a saturday morning waiting on a customer to pick up their transfer, it quickly becomes a negative value. It does get customers and a lot of my business is repeat.

Worst transfer policy I heard was from a shop (the only one in town) that wanted $75 or 10% of the value of the firearm, whichever was higher, for a transfer. They clearly wanted you to buy from them. The internet makes it hard to be competetive when you have to charge sales tax. As Matt said, there's not much money in 'New'.

I've used Lil Jacks twice, once for a gun I bought on line and another time when I bought from Lil Jacks. I think both times there I bought additional items from him. Like it or not Nate, you are my go to guy now.

Oh yea, I decided to keep that M&P 22LR, still have not shot it yet though.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Points well made all around. There are a few more things to consider.

If it becomes law that private transfers be done by a FFL, the handgun waiting period will surely apply and nobody has address that.

The BATF via Treasury, substantially raised the cost of a FFL a decade ago to eliminate-table top dealers. You will see them do this again.

The internet is very entrenched in society and the economy. You are required to pay sales tax for items you purchase on the net that are not taxed on the sellers end. So when you factor the tax you owe plus the transfer fee the price differences is minimal. It is only a matter of time before there is a standard internet purchase tax. It will level the playing field for all store fronts.

Top Bottom