• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I was given a bunch of reloading stuff, I was given a MEC reloading press setup for 12 GA. I thought to myself, I didn't ever see myself reloading shotgun rounds! Fast forward to today and well, those old hulls, primers, wads, and lead have come in handy!

I never thought I'd be reloading just out of pure necessity! Hunting loads and other rounds typically not bought for average shooting are simply just gone because that was what was left when the ammo started drying up!

We are in stupid times!

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The only thing you have to think about is with the glue, when it hardens, how brittle will it become.. you want the projectile to have some kind of retention upon impact, not shatter. Just my thoughts.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only thing you have to think about is with the glue, when it hardens, how brittle will it become.. you want the projectile to have some kind of retention upon impact, not shatter. Just my thoughts.
    One needs to be sure that the glue does bind the charge or wad/shotcup to the shell.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    1. I would like to thank all of you for sending me down the cut shell / waxer rabbit hole. I guess shells have always been so easy to grab I never thought about modifying...now I'm thinking about it lol.

2. Looking at shat I'm seeing of cut shells, I'm guessing feeding these in a pump gun with a tube mag might be a bad idea? Looks like these might be best used in a double / single barrel, am I right here?

Gunsite

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Birdshot is not good defensive load. I have first hand knowledge. Picking shirt, hat, and pellets out of oneself is a pain but it will not stop a threat. (I am sure it will work at point blank range)

Even then - for defense the high brass waterfowl loads are better - larger pellets, larger charge.
    I had a best friend that was shot with 12ga #8 shot in the stomach and for years he would pick it out of his belly.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Might work even better if it did, remember your trying to make a slug out of pissy bird shot. In that situation, the more going out the bore, the merrier.
    Adhesives in general are weak under shear stress so it may work, but I still don't want to be the one to experiment that haha.

1. I would like to thank all of you for sending me down the cut shell / waxer rabbit hole. I guess shells have always been so easy to grab I never thought about modifying...now I'm thinking about it lol.

2. Looking at shat I'm seeing of cut shells, I'm guessing feeding these in a pump gun with a tube mag might be a bad idea? Looks like these might be best used in a double / single barrel, am I right here?
    Depends on how you cut them..

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If someone wants to test it out, or search the web to see if someone else already did, perhaps a cut shell with a small amount of masking tape or painters tape. Just enough to hold it together for the lifter to do its job?

Of course, the constant pressure of the mag tube spring might make the cut shells in the tube shear sideways...

Probably just a break barrel round or a hand feed through the open breech kinda thing, but experiments could be fun.

If you found a minimum level of tape that would facilitate reliable feeding, then the next question is would the tape negate the "cut" in the shell when its fired?

All of this seems eerily similar to loading/seating projectiles backwards...

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You could perforate instead of cutting al around. Maybe make a jig and use a drill or nail. You need it week enough to come apart when fired but strong enough to be able to cycle.

I think tape would end up in the chamber.

Hope I never need to find out - and I can just shoot some clays!

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom