• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any leads on where to buy gun socks in a larger quantity for a lesser price? I'm gonna need 30ish within the next 2-3 weeks as we start to pack for moving.

Accepting donated gun socks asap. Dropoff location, Tires Etc on Nine Mile Rd...ask for Kenny

PS: staying local, upsizing, building, catastrophe in the waiting, wtf was she thinking, will be closer to gun range at least, dangit I really dont wanna do this...twice, ammo doesnt pack lightly in bulk, craftsman totes are pretty strong, would be easier to go have a badass slinging' lead-fest for a day or two...might could pay for house from YouTube revenue of burning through complete ammo supply in 1-2 days, damn thats not a bad idea...still gotta move it to range though, could trade lots of lead for a little bit of comparably priced gold which would be easier to move by a wide margin.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Makes me wish I had bought some yesterday at Greymans Armory He had them in three packs Had them in my hand don't know why I put them back.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you're just using socks, then you'd still need/want to pad them so they don't bump against each other. In that scenario, why not cut out the middleman and just wrap them in blankets?

Lay the blanket on the ground, roll one rifle up until it's sufficiently padded for your taste. If that happens to be about halfway, then start a second rifle from the opposite edge and roll it until it meets the first rifle. Should look like two long burritos next to each other. Packing tape the bundle tightly like a goofy rolled carpet. Done. Very stackable, and two rifles won't "roll around" in the cargo area.

You could use UHaul blankets, then who cares about tape residue on the outside, because they're rented. Inspect them for oil stains or metal staples, butnother than that: cheap, as many as you want, and after you move you don't have 30 rifle socks taking up storage space.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you're just using socks, then you'd still need/want to pad them so they don't bump against each other. In that scenario, why not cut out the middleman and just wrap them in blankets?

Lay the blanket on the ground, roll one rifle up until it's sufficiently padded for your taste. If that happens to be about halfway, then start a second rifle from the opposite edge and roll it until it meets the first rifle. Should look like two long burritos next to each other. Packing tape the bundle tightly like a goofy rolled carpet. Done. Very stackable, and two rifles won't "roll around" in the cargo area.

You could use UHaul blankets, then who cares about tape residue on the outside, because they're rented. Inspect them for oil stains or metal staples, butnother than that: cheap, as many as you want, and after you move you don't have 30 rifle socks taking up storage space.

I've moved my brother's collection around a few times due to his job taking him away from home for extended periods.

A simple cheap towel, blanket, or heavy sheet works great and can be repurposed. Like mentioned above, fold/wrap, secure with cheap masking tape, and stack em up.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Will be moving them multiple times and storing in friends/family safes for 8-12 months, blankets won't do. Large collection needing protection for possibly a year. Current safe being sold, new larger safe being procured when new house is completed. It's not as easy as basic transportation from one location to another.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sounds like a fire sale is in order! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can order direct from my distributor. If you don't care about color, I can get the 52" $4.50 per sock. That's 52" scoped/unscoped.

Downside is my distributors are taking awhile to ship so I couldn't guarantee the 2-3 weeks. I'm still waiting on them to ship an order from 20 jul. For the most part these guys have been shipping within a couple of weeks.

Amazon has the 6 pack for just over $30 and you'll probably get them faster.

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Harbor freight has moving blankets pretty cheap

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Will be moving them multiple times and storing in friends/family safes for 8-12 months, blankets won't do. Large collection needing protection for possibly a year. Current safe being sold, new larger safe being procured when new house is completed. It's not as easy as basic transportation from one location to another.

If by "needing protection" you mean the sock will stay on the rifle, then unless you are very particular that it must be a silicone-treated sock, there are still cheap "temporary" options.

But this next idea involves some labor, and I have no idea what the situation is at your "friends/family safes".

Go to the fabric store (JoAnne's or Michael's; screw Wal-Mart). Find the cheapest fabric that has some padding qualities. Figure about 1.5 yards for every two or three rifles (you're going to cut strips (lengthwise to how the fabric is unwrapped), so it depends on how many layers you'd wrap around each long gun. Once home, find your wife's "good scissors"...

Clear the weapon, oil it, cut the fabric for it, wrap it, tape it like you're mailing it and don't want anyone to open it. Label it with a sharpie. Done.

Protect those rifles with blankets during the move, just as you would've if they were in socks.

Ideally, you are the one to unwrap them in 8-12 months.
    Good luck.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any leads on where to buy gun socks in a larger quantity for a lesser price? I'm gonna need 30ish within the next 2-3 weeks as we start to pack for moving.

Accepting donated gun socks asap. Dropoff location, Tires Etc on Nine Mile Rd...ask for Kenny

PS: staying local, upsizing, building, catastrophe in the waiting, wtf was she thinking, will be closer to gun range at least, dangit I really dont wanna do this...twice, ammo doesnt pack lightly in bulk, craftsman totes are pretty strong, would be easier to go have a badass slinging' lead-fest for a day or two...might could pay for house from YouTube revenue of burning through complete ammo supply in 1-2 days, damn thats not a bad idea...still gotta move it to range though, could trade lots of lead for a little bit of comparably priced gold which would be easier to move by a wide margin.
    There's a product that's used as a medical compression bandage. It's called "Tubigrip" and comes in different diameters. The rolls are generally 30 to 33 feet long so you can cut the tube to whatever length you want. If a little more padding is needed anywhere, I've just add a towel in the wrapping.
    How to use: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=using+tubigrip
    You can purchase at Walmart or on ebay at

Top Bottom