• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i hit element range early this morning. shooting by 9. i had the 100/300 yd range to myself. beautiful day. it was great. exercised and shot in all my guns im taking on the texas hunting trip. needed to decide on a .308 round for deer and hog.

just as i was about to pack up a group of air force guys from the netherlands show. they had rented one ar-15 and bought some ammo. they dont get to own guns or shoot in their country, other than once every year or so in their military training. they were all going thru some training at eglin and were getting as much range time as they could. i pulled two of my ar-15s back out and gave them some steel case to shoot. we had a good time talking and just bonding over guns and shooting. stopped at piggly wiggly for a couple of fried pork chops then home to clean guns out in the yard. it was a great day.

oh, and i got the best groups from the barnes vortex 130 grain and the federal premium 175 grain.

Attachments

• 20240214_114524_resized.jpg
      20240214_114524_resized.jpg
      804.8 KB · Views: 27

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    i hit element range early this morning. shooting by 9. i had the 100/300 yd range to myself. beautiful day. it was great. exercised and shot in all my guns im taking on the texas hunting trip. needed to decide on a .308 round for deer and hog.

just as i was about to pack up a group of air force guys from the netherlands show. they had rented one ar-15 and bought some ammo. they dont get to own guns or shoot in their country, other than once every year or so in their military training. they were all going thru some training at eglin and were getting as much range time as they could. i pulled two of my ar-15s back out and gave them some steel case to shoot. we had a good time talking and just bonding over guns and shooting. stopped at piggly wiggly for a couple of fried pork chops then home to clean guns out in the yard. it was a great day.

oh, and i got the best groups from the barnes vortex 130 grain and the federal premium 175 grain.
    Sounds like fun. I wish you had some of the hornady black. Would like to see how it does with a good shooter. I never shot for groups, just coffee cup and called it good.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Reference your groups:
    I have always heard a rifle will have a high and low node as to what ammo it likes. Looks like you found yours with the 175’s and 130’s. Good deal.
    Mine likes the 175gr fgmm. I tried the hornady black 168 and the 178 eld, rifle did not like those. Switched to the fgmm sierra bullet and now its single hole at 100 if I do my part. I have not experimented with the 130’s or other low weight bullet.
    Was there a noticeable recoil or velocity difference between the 175 and 130?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Reference your groups:
    I have always heard a rifle will have a high and low node as to what ammo it likes. Looks like you found yours with the 175’s and 130’s. Good deal.
    Mine likes the 175gr fgmm. I tried the hornady black 168 and the 178 eld, rifle did not like those. Switched to the fgmm sierra bullet and now its single hole at 100 if I do my part. I have not experimented with the 130’s or other low weight bullet.
    Was there a noticeable recoil or velocity difference between the 175 and 130?
    im looking at my notes:
    the hornady superperformance 165 grain and the hertzers 180 grain both came in very hot to me. i didnt like them. but the federal non typical 180 grain and winchester powerpoint 180grain didnt come off hot to me. but i didnt group well with them.
    here was my ranking from best to worst. your mileage may vary:
    barnes vortex
    federal premium
    hornady american white tail
    remington core lokt
    winchester copper impact
    federal powershok
    sig venari sp
    hornady superperformance
    hertzers
    federal non typical

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Re sighted my thermal. Due to my fiddling around it was high right. On now! Planned on testing tonight, but forgot it was valentine's day. Out for dinner and gambling with Bride. She hit for $1,400 so far. Lucky Blonde! Lucky me! View attachment 271205 i shot my thermal yesterday also. it was still on. i blew up a water bottle on the second shot at 100 yards. yes, there was a good bit of luck there but i took it and went on.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Installed magpul forend on my 500. Added a monstrum rail and truglow RDS.

Metal heat shield isnt compatible with the magpul forend but I don’t really care. Don’t see a use for a heat shield on a HD shotgun.

Need to figure out a new mounting solution for a light. Old surefire m70 forend had picatinny rails, new magpul is Mlok. Good time to upgrade the light.

Haven’t decided if the verticle grip will go back on yet. Also picatinny but could use mlok adapters I have.

Probably throw the shield and surefire forend on eBay, don’t see a reason to keep them.

I like the looks and feel of the new setup a lot better.

Some before and after:

10fce0ae887a1b8b95a4de24091c0a0e.jpg

7b997409e743388fb83fc1eaeaec0d6f.jpg

61e6a958de03b5176b5ddb1ec7c4ad34.jpg

2d415d543e93c07f41e67b53e0b721af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Day 3 of casting Lyman 314299. FYI, if you don’t know, this is a 200 gr .314” diameter bullet used in 303 Brit, 7.62x54r Russian, and other like diameter bore rifles. I also use it in my oversize groove diameter 30/40 Krag and obsolete Swiss 7.5x53.5 rifles (It helps fill out the oversize throats originally designed for paper patched bullets in those old Swiss rifles.). I’m casting about the same amount every day. I “size” them in a .315” die that lubes without sizing, although I’ve seen no difference in performance when a .314” die is used.

IMG_0197.jpeg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I would like to apologize to the folks that are waiting to get barrels threaded...but we made 2 of these range rods today for the Muzzle Loaders we have been picking up.
    Cleaned an old nickle S&W .32 Long pistol I brought for my neighbor and put a used link in an 1100...those parts that were $18-25 new.... are $60 used on eBay.

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

Last edited:

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Tonight I finally assembled the 6mm ARC! I started gathering parts but got detoured and built a 6.5 grendel. So I had to start over, still need to mount my optic but it's 100%! Some of y'all should recognize some of the parts; trigger group, front sight, butt stock, muzzle break, grip were bought from fellow members!

Attachments

• IMG_20240217_235005839.jpg
      IMG_20240217_235005839.jpg
      2.9 MB · Views: 13
    Top Bottom