• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Been wanting one of these for the Enfield collection and to shoot cast bullets in, but the prices and/or condition has made me pass. Found this Ishapore No 2A at an estate sale. All matching, bore excellent to as-new, and a very attractive price.

Only negative was the excessive amount of black enamel the Indian armory put on it. While black enamel over metal to prevent rust is authentic, the amount on and in the rear sight made adjustment impossible. Heat, brake cleaner, WD-40, paint thinner, brush, dental pick, and an hour later the rear sight was free. Also did a minimal amount of rubbing off some dirt off the stock. Cleaned the bore (no evidence of copper fouling).

I then loaded up cast bullet test loads which I hope to try tomorrow.

Photo is rear sight after cleaning enough to free it.

51DCE201-F3D4-47BB-982A-699BBABE84AC.jpeg
    D40607E3-28F8-4DDC-9E5A-98F833D529E7.jpeg
    2D089718-B234-43BE-936F-B7362B9C2CFA.jpeg

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Checked out a used G43 with night sights at the local shop today, I have had a couple of G43x’s and liked them, but the G43 felt like it would be the prefect EDC for on those hot days wearing shorts when I am not carrying my G48.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    If I EVER win the lottery I am taking people with me !! ----
    There is so much sadness in the world that it would be nice to see people actually and genuinely smile, and that is why after all our bills are paid, the house purchased and monies set aside for life, I would go into a grocery store and set up with the manager to randomly pick out shoppers who's "groceries were paid for by an anonymous person today" and then go into a few major mall's and do the same.
    You see I have never been fishing because as a child both father and stepfather told me "it's a waste of time" and as I got older I just never spent any time doing so, as I was always busy with other things -- That said, I would call those I know and just say "Were going fishing !" which is my way of saying we are going "fishing" for a new home because aren't there enough out there we couldn't "catch" the right one !
    (Sorry so long, I thought you needed the back story to get the full picture)
    I have the same illusions of grandeur! I'd either buy a huge piece of land to develop into a family compound, and/or simply seek out people to help anonymously. Most everyone who knew of me would be wondering, what ever happened to ole Al??

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Everybody just remember that anything you point that flashlight at you just flagged with a weapon. This is exactly what they arrested the leader of the NFA militia for and took away all his gun rights and made him a felon: a flashlight on the end of his rifle that was used in public as a flashlight, that just happened to swing a beam of light across a squad of law enforcement. Y'all be careful
    My belt EDC is a custom made leather sheath that holds my Leatherman and streamlight microstream. I only have 1 firearm with a light mounted, a shockwave with the streamlight tl racker. Not a good day when that light shines on you!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Testing cast bullet loads for the estate sale Ishaphore No 2A 7.62x51 rifle.

First step, make dummy round with Lyman 311291 (a round nose bullet) seated out to 2.8" oal, max for the cartridge. No go...jams into the rifling with the bullet being pulled out of the case when bolt is pulled back. 2.75" still jams in rifling. Final oal with extraction and feeding perfect = 2.7".

Now load test ammo with 2400 powder at 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5, and 16 grains. Experience of me and a myriad of other cast bullet shooters tells us it should work somewhere in that grain range. If not, try other powders. If not, another cast bullet design.

Groups shot at 35 yd (just not a great rifle shooter ever since eye surgery, so I test at that distance at least to begin with). 14gr = 3.42"...YUCK, hope my rifle is not a piece of crap. 14.5gr = 1.72"...could it be it wants more powder? 15gr = 0.6"...now that's about the best I can hold and see...I'm liking this rifle!. 15.5gr = 1.17"...beginning to open up. 16gr = 1.61"...opening up more...I've passed its sweet spot. Checked for visible leading after each group and no leading seen (didn't expect any leading anyway). Will have to move the front sight to center the groups. Rear sight as low as it will go gives 2" high at 35 yd with best load...no surprise with military sights graduated for much faster different weight bullets and a further distance.

Now to get "more perfect", I should reload more 15 and 15.5 gr 2400 loads or maybe in-between and shoot more groups, but for my plinking purposes and from my experience shooting groups, 15 grains is good enough. BONUS: My 7mm also likes 15 gr, so I already have a powder measure set for that load. Were it a hunting or target rifle, more groups would be shot. 15 gr shot another day could be better or worse, but then all my groups shot on that better or worse day would normally be correspondingly better or worse. Hope it's not too hard to get the nose cap off (with all the paint on it) so I can move the front sight...India thoughtfully made the nose cap on their Enfield such that you can't adjust the front sight without removing the nose piece that protects the front sight. Guess they didn't want the masses messing with the front sight.

Now to order a Lee collet neck sizing die in .308.

Photos in the order of above powder charges. Six o'clock hold on black circle with all shots hitting to the right.

CB394457-D3EE-4673-A1B2-A9BB36FF9E28.jpeg
    6645E519-16C7-47A3-9E07-45A51763CE68.jpeg
    E08FD3CE-6711-4277-8C08-E66D9DEEB379.jpeg
    CD4FD5B2-69BD-4220-BA34-026B282E914B.jpeg
    0CEF5765-000B-4046-B39C-40BD868D24F0.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Testing cast bullet loads for the estate sale Ishaphore No 2A 7.62x51 rifle.

First step, make dummy round with Lyman 311291 (a round nose bullet) seated out to 2.8" oal, max for the cartridge. No go...jams into the rifling with the bullet being pulled out of the case when bolt is pulled back. 2.75" still jams in rifling. Final oal with extraction and feeding perfect = 2.7".

Now load test ammo with 2400 powder at 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5, and 16 grains. Experience of me and a myriad of other cast bullet shooters tells us it should work somewhere in that grain range. If not, try other powders. If not, another cast bullet design.

Groups shot at 35 yd (just not a great rifle shooter ever since eye surgery, so I test at that distance at least to begin with). 14gr = 3.42"...YUCK, hope my rifle is not a piece of crap. 14.5gr = 1.72"...could it be it wants more powder? 15gr = 0.6"...now that's about the best I can hold and see...I'm liking this rifle!. 15.5gr = 1.17"...beginning to open up. 16gr = 1.61"...opening up more...I've passed its sweet spot. Checked for visible leading after each group and no leading seen (didn't expect any leading anyway). Will have to move the front sight to center the groups. Rear sight as low as it will go gives 2" high at 35 yd with best load...no surprise with military sights graduated for much faster different weight bullets and a further distance.

Now to get "more perfect", I should reload more 15 and 15.5 gr 2400 loads or maybe in-between and shoot more groups, but for my plinking purposes and from my experience shooting groups, 15 grains is good enough. BONUS: My 7mm also likes 15 gr, so I already have a powder measure set for that load. Were it a hunting or target rifle, more groups would be shot. 15 gr shot another day could be better or worse, but then all my groups shot on that better or worse day would normally be correspondingly better or worse. Hope it's not too hard to get the nose cap off (with all the paint on it) so I can move the front sight...India thoughtfully made the nose cap on their Enfield such that you can't adjust the front sight without removing the nose piece that protects the front sight. Guess they didn't want the masses messing with the front sight.

Now to order a Lee collet neck sizing die in .308.

Photos in the order of above powder charges. Six o'clock hold on black circle with all shots hitting to the right.

View attachment 206553 View attachment 206554 View attachment 206555 View attachment 206556 View attachment 206557
    You are an expert reloader.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm blessed with a Fantastic neighbor who gives me 24/7/365 access with the combination to his gate to his private shooting range and trusts me. I store 2 heavy shooting benches at his range and a steel target for our use. He supplied a dolly to move the benches around. I can sometimes accomplish in 1 day that which might take 2 or more weeks of going to my club's range once or twice a week. So, this morning test loads. Go home and load more of the best load. Eat lunch while watching TV with my wife and back to his range in the afternoon with more ammo and stuff to drift the front sight to correct the windage.

First front sight drift was not enough. Second was too much. Third, split the difference between first and second, and it's sighted in for windage. Fired seven shots that are in the middle of the black (see below) with CCI 200 primers. Fire two more shots using Bosnian large rifle primers to see if they can be used for my shooting with that load in that rifle. See below photo. The two shots at the top of the black were with the Bosnian primers. I've got other rifles that shoot Bosnian primers to same impact point as my other primers so I'll continue to use them in those rifles.

AAE5D4E5-17DD-4A81-B598-4646D2D4CEEB.jpeg

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Received the Braids leather holster I ordered for my Glock 48 off of Amazon for $40 and I must say, I am impressed with their quality and after I did my usual leather holster break by putting my pistol in a plastic bag and leaving it in the holster overnight, the pistol fits perfectly. This is a nice Leather IWB holster and doesn't dig into my skin like my Kydex IWB holster does.

IMG_0698.jpeg IMG_0697.jpeg

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

My new light weight build. Upper and lower are from War Dog Armory. Also has a skeletonized bolt with titanium take down pins and muzzle brake. Pencil barrel stainless steel 18 inch length. Oden works hand guard.

Yeah, weight? My current "Lightweight" is just under 8lbs...

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    View attachment 206806
    Using my bathroom scale. The rifle weight is 5.7 LBS. The rifle is so light, I can feel all the recoil of the 62gr 556 bullet.
    Love em light! 4.6 from factory, prob 5 w/ optic.. piston, fires folded dang those pesky kel tecs, lol. :cool:
    20210318_142643.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom