• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sent my sx3 off for new stock set on factory recall address was browning so I guess browning made the Winchester sx3

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Went to Target sports websit and tried to order a load of ammo. Message says the payment portal went down and to check again in a few hours. WT actual F. Sigh/////……

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Got tired of going somewhere else to anneal brass so I picked up an Annealeez and it arrived yesterday.
    Played with it this morning and the factory setting seemed way too fast. I couldn't find my Tempilaq anywhere so I ordered another bottle to make sure thing are as they should be.

I slowed it down to about what a couple of folks that I know use on theirs and set it at 45% and ran about 150 .243 cases. Done in no time and don't look bad. I think I will wait until Thursday when the Tempilaq arrives to run my .260 cases to make sure they are on the money.

They all sure sized up nicely afterwards and are in the SS media now.

IMG_1004.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    He ordered a Sheridan Blackout chamber gauge...tighter tolerances (SAAMI minimum chamber specs) and different uses than the Lyman or Wilson ones. Among other things, it's used to set your Blackout sizing die so as to not set back the case shoulder too little or too much.

I used to be Very active on 300BLKTALK.com. A somewhat common complaint was my ammo passes my Wilson gauge, but won't chamber all the way. The Wilson was designed to measure case length, not to set up a sizing die or check loaded ammo, and Wilson stated so in their email to me. A new company (Sheridan) proposed they send me 2 sample Blackout gauges. I was to then publicly post on the forum my review with no input or correction or say-so from Sheridan. The gauges (one cut-a-way and one solid) solved my failure to fire Blackout problem and I was given the gauges for free. My full length sizing die was setting the shoulder too far back allowing some cartridges to go too far into the chamber and thus failing to get a good primer hit. For MY sizing die in conjunction with MY shell holder and MY press I needed to screw it in until it touched the shell holder and then unscrew 1/2 turn for proper case sizing (RCBS Rockchucker). However, when forming Blackout brass from .223 brass, I needed to have the sizing die touching the shell holder. The gauge also showed me that some foreign .223 brass had too thick of case walls to properly form into Blackout brass...I only use U.S. brass now to form into Blackout.

I recently had to repair my old Bonanza straight line press with a new thicker one piece shell holder plate when the old one wore out from use...I'll be using my gauge to set up my Blackout sizing die for my that press (I suspect the problem lies in my sizing die as it's an old Redding 300/221 marked die, not marked 300 Blackout and/or I've worn it somewhat as I'm up to about 30,000 Blackout rounds loaded via it).

Now, the majority of the time, simply screwing in the sizing die to touch the shell holder is fine. But sometimes due to tolerances in your equipment it doesn't work and one goes nuts trying to figure out what's wrong. I've loaned out my gauge(s) before to help folks. The gauge is not perfect...for example, if your brass has a tiny ding on the edge of the rim, that could interfere with the brass going fully into the gauge, yet it should chamber in the firearm just fine with the force of the bolt easily overcoming the little rim imperfection (and the rim doesn't enter the chamber anyway). If you want no chances for problems when hunting, gauge your Blackout ammo and only take the perfect rounds. That's what I used to do when I deer hunted, using the imperfect for practice or sighting in.

No problem with your set-up...no need for a gauge.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Got a new pistol fore end for my G2 Contender frame. The screw I had didn't tighten up the fore end snug. Went to Hall's Hardware in Milton looking for a washer small enough, but they didn't have one that small to fit in the fore end. Employee said I think a shorter screw would be better. He borrowed the screw to measure the thread (10/28 I think he said), opened a drawer and said this ought to do, and it did! 40 some cents.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I think I have seen you mention them before. I also use 300/221 dies as well and at times a set of 300BLK...think they are LEE. I use a Mo's gauge (Mo DeFina) which is primarily a LE Wilson case gauge cut and threaded to accept a mic thimble. We got 5K damaged neck primed pulls from somewhere and cut them in my chop saw I set up for that. We then ran them in a Dillon trimmer 30 cal die to get them closer to length after initial forming. Then sized them with the 300/221 dies and checked to make sure the shoulders were at zero SAAMI. IIRC there was a small amount of cam over on the press....then reset the power trimmer and trimmed them a final time Definitely a labor intensive process. I have been catching all of mine with one of those Caldwell bags.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I think I have seen you mention them before. I also use 300/221 dies as well and at times a set of 300BLK...think they are LEE. I use a Mo's gauge (Mo DeFina) which is primarily a LE Wilson case gauge cut and threaded to accept a mic thimble. We got 5K damaged neck primed pulls from somewhere and cut them in my chop saw I set up for that. We then ran them in a Dillon trimmer 30 cal die to get them closer to length after initial forming. Then sized them with the 300/221 dies and checked to make sure the shoulders were at zero SAAMI. IIRC there was a small amount of cam over on the press....then reset the power trimmer and trimmed them a final time Definitely a labor intensive process. I have been catching all of mine with one of those Caldwell bags.

I had heard of them before (I think @Daezee had posted about them prior) - I got the one with the cutout so I could see what I was messing up should that ever happen. :)

Today, I sold the last of my 380 on the way to church.

I was going to sight in some 300, but its been such a rainy mess, I may just have to wait.

At least I can reload while it's rainy - Im going to try to finish up some more 300BO and finish my current batch of 9mm - now that I know how to calibrate my scale.

Southernlost

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I saw some overpriced items listed in the forums .oh and I swapped out the grip on my mpx for a magpul k2 .then I shot my 45/70 .to keep the rent down.

Southernlost

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Bought some cheap Chinese HK look-a-like sighs for the M11 SMG. The back one fell off because the screw stripped out. Got some stainless screws that thread in better cut to fit and painted. Came out nice should last another 10k rounds. LOL

PvE1HpY.jpg

gNYdzrh.jpg
    I've got a super rare extended barrel foregrip for that guy

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a new pistol fore end for my G2 Contender frame. The screw I had didn't tighten up the fore end snug. Went to Hall's Hardware in Milton looking for a washer small enough, but they didn't have one that small to fit in the fore end. Employee said I think a shorter screw would be better. He borrowed the screw to measure the thread (10/28 I think he said), opened a drawer and said this ought to do, and it did! 40 some cents.
    Since Reynold's Hardware went belly up, Hall's is the only real hardware store remaining around here.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Got some more Barns bullets in and my second chargemaster lite- Now I have one for pistol rounds and one for rifle. :)

Top Bottom