• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've been looking at my modest collection and debating on whether or not to toss my Beretta 92 compact up for trade. Since getting my daughter her .357, I've realized how much I miss shooting wheelguns, and aside from her Taurus the only revolver in my collection is an old 1917 my great uncle brought back home after the war, cut the barrel down to about 4 inches, soldered a blade on the top and the had nickel plated. It shoots surprisingly well but .45acp in a revolver isn't as cheap and fun as .38 and I'd much prefer .357 mag over .45acp in a wheel gun anyway when it comes to defensive purposes. I mean, how many da/sa 9mm pistols does one need if I'm already adding another caliber to my reloading bench anyway

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Checked out some freedom arms 300 blk that I ordered.

Ok, but not what I want - especially for what I paid.

Now I am checking out some Dillon reloading equipment.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I find that as I have gotten older,I have become drawn to a good revo. I do not carry one or hunt with one,or have them laying about for home or truck protection. But still . . . they are becoming more "interesting" to me nowadays.
    My 5" 45LC is a great shooter and I have even practiced with it at 50yds. At 25 it is man or beast deadly. I would hunt deer or black bear with it if I were to make a trip back to Maine. The 45LC can easily produce the power of a 44mag in the right gun. Especially the Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk. And it is an excellect 16" csrbine rd.
    My next revo will likely be a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Had one for years. Killed everything that needed killing with it. Sold it about 12 years ago. Want one again now. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    One draw for revolvers is policing my brass at the end of the day. My CZ 75D is deadly accurate and fun to shoot but damn it slings brass for twenty feet. Another is that .357 is powerful enough to take down just about anything I'd ever point at and can shoot .38 which is cheap and and easy to load for and easier to find than 9mm in the current climate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everybody I saw at my last steel plate shoot who had a red dot reflex sight on a pistol was missing and hating life. Acquire the front sight, put it on target and then let both eyes open. Muscle memory and hand/eye coordination will take over from there. If you need a high visibility front sight it's hard to go wrong with a bright light gathering fiber optic set up. For low light conditions I'd rather have a light/laser combo backed up by Trijicon glow in the dark sights. Maybe a compromise would be a fiber optic front sight with a dab of glow in the dark paint on top? If it's stupid but works then it's not stupid. My buddy Charles wears glasses and he painted his M9 sights with glow in the dark paint and swore by it
    Thank you and Mr. SAWMAN,
    I don't yet believe I need to spend $500 on an RMR for each gun I have to shoot accurate.
    I believe I may have identified my problem with the Sig P238 HD and why I shot it badly.

Even though the Sig Legion P938 had more recoil, I was more accurate with it.
    Here is a picture of the sights on both.
    The P938 has a distinctive front sight that my eye picks up instinctively.
    The P238 HD has sights that look pretty the same when aligned.
    Husband says that some people find that when the sights are all the same, they find it slow to acquire and difficult to focus on.
    I may be one of these people.

I also noticed when dry firing today, when I tighten my grip on P238 HD I have the front sight hiding behind the left rear sight which would explain my shot placement.
    I have large hands and even though I prefer steel guns, the above combo means this little all steel 380 may not be a good shooter for me under stress.

Tomorrow we are going back to the range and I will finish my last 5 rounds plus my 28rds of self defense through this gun to test it against the sig P938 in 9mm, alloy.
    Better sights and better grip versus the less recoil of the P238 and see which would be the best self defense gun for me.

If I am not too sucky I will post the targets.
    First pic is the Sig P238 HD all steel 380
    Second pic is the Sig Legion P938 9mm
    Screenshot_20201003-195530.png

Screenshot_20201003-195706.png

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Thank you and Mr. SAWMAN,
    I don't yet believe I need to spend $500 on an RMR for each gun I have to shoot accurate.
    I believe I may have identified my problem with the Sig P238 HD and why I shot it badly.

Even though the Sig Legion P938 had more recoil, I was more accurate with it.
    Here is a picture of the sights on both.
    The P938 has a distinctive front sight that my eye picks up instinctively.
    The P238 HD has sights that look pretty the same when aligned.
    Husband says that some people find that when the sights are all the same, they find it slow to acquire and difficult to focus on.
    I may be one of these people.

I also noticed when dry firing today, when I tighten my grip on P238 HD I have the front sight hiding behind the left rear sight which would explain my shot placement.
    I have large hands and even though I prefer steel guns, the above combo means this little all steel 380 may not be a good shooter for me under stress.

Tomorrow we are going back to the range and I will finish my last 5 rounds plus my 28rds of self defense through this gun to test it against the sig P938 in 9mm, alloy.
    Better sights and better grip versus the less recoil of the P238 and see which would be the best self defense gun for me.

If I am not too sucky I will post the targets.
    First pic is the Sig P238 HD all steel 380
    Second pic is the Sig Legion P938 9mm View attachment 93711
    View attachment 93710

DA/SA are the absolutely hardest firearms to learn to shoot accurately. This is because you have two different triggers - and your first shot (which is the most important) is the hardest (in double action).

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DA/SA are the absolutely hardest firearms to learn to shoot accurately. This is because you have two different triggers - and your first shot (which is the most important) is the hardest (in double action).
    Both Sig P938 and the P238 are SA only.
    And for the record: I love the Colt Mustang Plus II but I would defitnetly have to point and shoot only.
    It is a shame Colt did not stay with its roots, as it could have focused on producing microcompact steel guns of good quality for us ladies that prefer the 1911/frame safety style, cocked and locked carry self-defense.
    I
    IMG_20201003_2049330.jpg

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to ALTUS range today, compete in Steel Challenge match until noon, AR rifle/pistol training after the match with five friends. We engaged steel targets from 100 yd to 350 yd from school bus, barricades, and family sedan. We shared shooting tactics technique for optimal target engagement, times each other for friendly competition, and than went out to eat dinner at Vitaliano Italian restaurant. A good day, God Bless America! :cool:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Got this in the mail today.. Bushmaster upper, New unfired!! :) Spent the day with other vets. Rode motorcycles, drank beer and talked guns and politics. Ended where all good days end, waffle house!!

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
      IMG_0002.jpg
      188.7 KB · Views: 93
    • IMG_0004.jpg
      IMG_0004.jpg
      139.4 KB · Views: 88
    • 20201003_101246.jpg
      20201003_101246.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 88
    • 20201003_222719.jpg
      20201003_222719.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 95

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I find that as I have gotten older,I have become drawn to a good revo. I do not carry one or hunt with one,or have them laying about for home or truck protection. But still . . . they are becoming more "interesting" to me nowadays.
    My 5" 45LC is a great shooter and I have even practiced with it at 50yds. At 25 it is man or beast deadly. I would hunt deer or black bear with it if I were to make a trip back to Maine. The 45LC can easily produce the power of a 44mag in the right gun. Especially the Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk. And it is an excellect 16" csrbine rd.
    My next revo will likely be a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Had one for years. Killed everything that needed killing with it. Sold it about 12 years ago. Want one again now. --- SAWMAN
    Get a revolving carbine!!! They shoot!! I've since added a small 4x scope, even better. I wish ruger built a Blackhawk carbine.

Attachments

• 20181204_174716_1543975195741_001.jpg
      20181204_174716_1543975195741_001.jpg
      125.3 KB · Views: 90

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I corrected my problem and did better today.
    I was only able to take three shots out of the P938 Legion because the slide stop spring got damaged on past reassembly. My husband was right in that the recoil is a bit too much for me.

The P238 380acp in steel is easier to shoot and I had better accuracy by focusing on the front sight ( as suggested ), I also practiced in the house before going to the range by shooting a very accurate pellet gun which makes me bring awareness to the sight alignment, strength of my grip and trigger pull.

Instead of comparing the little guns because the 9mm Sig was broken, I did my side to side comparison with my HK P30. I was initially aiming high with the Hk but then corrected myself. I need to understand why, as a begginer, I aim high or left or wherever when I am thinking I am aiming straight.

So the picture below is 5 consecutive shots on the left with the Sig P238 HD all steel gun - still dificult to see the sights well and the right is 5 shots with the polymer 9mm HK P30:
    IMG_20201004_1715096.jpg

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is another 5 shots with the SIg P238 all steel gun all self deffense ammo, which incidently I felt better shooting than the reloads:
    IMG_20201004_1715427~2.jpg

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And this target was 14 consecutive shots with my husband's idea of using a traning laser.
    With the HK P30, first shot with iron sights and high ( I dont know why I was doing this today ).
    Then he said during my shotting "don't use the iron sights just aim at where the laser is".
    So the 6 shots low I was transitioning, experiencing confusion and listening to his command.
    Then after taking his command the 7 shots in the center are the final of the simultaneous 14 :
    IMG_20201004_1716061~2.jpg

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The HK is by far the superior gun in overal performance - even though I hate polymer.
    My only complaint on the HK is the trigger will never be like the one on the Grand Power P40L which I LOVE and shoot so well inspite of it being a 10mm.

I spend and extra $200 to improve the trigget on the P30 and it did by a huge huge deal in terms of pre travel and overall sensation but it remains spongy and not the crisp, positive trigger one can get from a steel gun.

I also love that I bought this P30 for $550 AC ( after covid ) and it is one of my best HK shooters.
    Like the Funny Memes posted about guns and women, I have to say the joke is accurate. :)

If keeping just one I have no hesitation the HK is the winner by far and wide
    IMG_20201003_2131413.jpg
    , for me. ( even though I hate the trigger..)

Top Bottom