Target Sports

What Determines Your Interest in a Certain Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Whether one would agree or not, looks determine a great amount of a Firearms value. It may even be that the real Quality of Constuction is second to the Beauty of a Firearm in appraisal of a Firearms value. A good example is the cost difference in many base long guns and the same model with an upgraded stock....in many cases the upgraded stock cost as much as half the value of the base model....same firearm just prettier.

I enjoy fine firearms and it is a true pleasure to see and work the action on a well built firearm..mostly shotguns and sporting rifles gets my attention. What attracts me and determines my interest in a certain firearm is probably something that many people feel. I seem to connect with certain shotguns or rifles and others don't get much interest out of me. A worn and used Ruger #1 with wear around the edges in the bluing but a silking smooth falling block is a work still a work of art to me. An old Remington model 700 BDL with the Black Ivory tipped forgrip is just plain special and has something that newer, fancier and possibly better built rifles just will not ever have. Setting on a fencerow are beside a round bail of hay at a dove shoot with a Berretta Pidgeon is much the same way.

Whether it's a Kimber 1911 or a heavily used Winchester Model 70 there is something that draws gun nuts to certain guns.........

What Determines Your Interest in a Certain Firearm?

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great topic..

I guess it depends on the type of firearm as to why I want.

Some guns I want for aesthetic or collection purposes, I see something on TV or in a movie, or being used by our military (as lame as that may sound) like my Spas 12 and have to have it.

Other guns, like the ones that I carry I choose based on reliability, ease of concealment etc.

Some guns, like my AR15 SBR in .22LR were purchased with the thought in mind that they would be inexpensive to shoot but still be good practice for the real deal calibers.

Some guns I buy to modify, improve and generally tinker with. This might be my favorite part of guns, outfitting each weapon with optics, accessories and making them mine.

And some guns I just have to have based on the fact that they are cool, and I have a serious problem with buying guns... :D.

glock

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Function first. Then what am I buying it for, carry target etc. so now cal. Plays a role. But looks play just as large a role as the first. A good looking gun gets more attention thus performs better.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks yes, but performance foremost. I like a rifle that will shoot dime size groups at 100 yards and quarter size at 200. With shotguns, the ability to operate consistantly. I love my old winchesters. But the shotgun that I've had since I was 14 an A-5 Light 12, has only failed to eject once in all those years. Probably 50 cases of shells and one reloaded shell failed. It still looks almost as nice as the day in January of 1975 when my Dad handed it to me.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Firearms are tools. I look for the right tool to complete a particular job or function. I'm not big on "collector value" (unless I'm selling something to someone else...) or any "BBQ factor".

If it works reliabily and is a good fit for the job at hand -- that usually determines a buying decision.

For example -- a daily CCW sidearm. I have carried a variety of handguns to fill this role over the years. Finding something that works -- I usually stick with it until something else fills the role better. Case in point -- when the XDs same on the scene as a small, easily concealable single stack 45 that was utterly reliable, I made the buying decision and the change to it for my daily IWB CCW. When I discovered that it could handle the 45 Super load -- my decision was cemented as being the "best thing" for me, and probably will be for some time. For a woods/hunting sidearm -- I wanted an autoloader and opted for the power and flexibility of the 10mm Auto. After my experience with the XDs and 45 Super -- I ventured down the path of an XD Compact Tactical set-up with a 460 Rowland conversion. The success of that package has displaced my G21SF as a woods/hunting sidearm of choice. Therefore, the 10mm Auto has become surplus to me and is on the auction block for sale or to be used as trade stock... And so it goes for me...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am no collector so mine I hunt with. I sold most of my guns and bought what I have now. I will buy one today if when I sell it I can make $$ other than that I build an AR I want, much cheaper that way.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do the same as Scuba.Really every one has a purpose even all of the diffrent AR setups.They get upgraded as I go or replaced with better when feasible.Every gun has a purpose that is clearly defined.This may include caliber specific pairs of weopons for versitility sake if ammo is needed to be interchanged and or for comfort for the person in my house that the gun is meant to be used by. I never by guns for cool factor EVER.For one I dont have endless funds (or I would) and two I see them more as tools with each meant for a particular job.with that being said it is hard to beat a glock f andor reliability alone but I will be probably putting my 23 near my steering wheel getting a Colt new Agent when feasible for me.I also have my eye on the sig p238 as a nice little pocket back up but not too keen on the .380 round for many reasons..If they offered a 9mm chambering for it we would probably own two..

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a side note Garbo you always post good questions that many people overlook in hustle an bustle of everyday life.Thanks for your contributions.Sometimes people need to sit back and think a little me included.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    uhhh ohhh Thats a wrap on that one esp. if she and her sister eat +P..That was my exact entention as well..Leaning twords the Equinox if avail. in 9mm..checking now...Looks like the ol Beretta 84 Chetah is safe bound.....

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Reliability factor is definitly first and formost, but lately I have found myself going in a direction I cannot explain, I am not a collector by any means, but have started to make purchases such as Big Dad Walther P99 in OD Green and then of coarse i gotta get the little guy Walther P22 same color- like Father Like son. AR15 and AR15pistol. AK Full size and well AK pistol. Drive a small car keep a small pistol P-32 in the small car. Big truck calls for big gun the XD 40.. As soon as I can close the deal on a purchase, I will have"Let's say twins" I have always had the feeling of why have one when you can have two, or.................... More. I am rambling..Xcuse Me

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    uhhh ohhh Thats a wrap on that one esp. if she and her sister eat +P..That was my exact entention as well..Leaning twords the Equinox if avail. in 9mm..checking now...Looks like the ol Beretta 84 Chetah is safe bound.....

I'm running Cor Bon 125gr +P thorugh mine. I previously carried the 100gr Pow'Rball +P -- but I like the heavier projectile currently carried for greater penetration. I have some Underwood 147gr +P+, but I haven't been brave enough to try it in the P938 (my Walther PPQ loves it!)

skipper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How can you not like the Sig P938, sharp looking carry piece.
    Reliability. This not my favorite yet, but it is growing on me. DanWesson ECO 45.

Some range dirt..
    DSCN2871_zpsd0d7c285.jpg

Last edited:
    T

tinman

>What Determines Your Interest in a Certain Firearm?

My first gun is an M&P9. Love it. I did have various criteria though.

1. Made in the US. I'm a guest here, fitting in, etc, and damned if my first gun is Austrian.
    2. Comfort. (Found Glocks uncomfortable, and found I liked 9mm better than SW40).
    3. Looks. Looks were important for my first gun. I want it to look the part.

Next gun is for plinking (22A maybe), and third gun will be for CCW (but could be a Walther PPS). (Lets face it, a full size M&P is about as comfortable to wear as a 2lb tumor).

Top Bottom