• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used 22LR pistols for training over the last 50+ years, but the only .22 caliber rifles I've ever owned where centerfires. So after all these years I'm debating purchasing a 22LR Rifle. This will just be for recreation, so what 22LR Rifle have you had the most fun with and why?

Thanks in advance for inputs,comments, & opinions.

flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Check out the HK - MP5-A5 - 22lr. or one of the other variants from HK. They are a hoot to shoot, accurate and built like a tank. Mine has run everything I put in it flawlessly. Really fun gun!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got to admit that a very accurate (German) bolt action appeals to my sense of short range practice, but today's AR's seem to be what the Son in Laws gravitate toward. The Old Remington 66 like the current M1 Carbine derivatives or possibly the Ruger 10/22, might leave a bit of Old Skool with the Grandchildren. I do have 22 centerfires in both the AR & Precision Bolt Rifle Platforms, so perhaps just can plinking entertainment would be fun to share with the Grandchildren?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've got to admit that a very accurate (German) bolt action appeals to my sense of short range practice, but today's AR's seem to be what the Son in Laws gravitate toward. The Old Remington 66 like the current M1 Carbine derivatives or possibly the Ruger 10/22, might leave a bit of Old Skool with the Grandchildren. I do have 22 centerfires in both the AR & Precision Bolt Rifle Platforms, so perhaps just can plinking entertainment would be fun to share with the Grandchildren?

While second in recommendation for "fun" only, the Ruger 10-22 simply can't be beat. I still have the one I bought with grass cutting money, from Woolco Department store, in the old Tallahassee Mall, around 1975/1976.

I also love the Winchester Mod 250 that my dad left us. For a lever action, it's fun and shoots Short, Long, and Long Rifle.

Fortunately I have enough .22LR ammo stashed, LONG BEFORE the panic buying happened, to be good to go until they put me in the ground.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My most fun rifle is a Marlin 22XT, tube feed bolt action that is just a blast to plink with and is pretty accurate as well. Next on the list would be the Henry lever action, the one I have and the few I've messed with are very smooth and great shooters. But a AR style 22 with a binary trigger is a good time as well.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have owned a lot of .22 LR rifles over the years, and currently own 4. The most fun for me to shoot is an old store brand (Western Field) Mossberg 340K with a 24 inch barrel that was made before 1968. I bought it barely shot, got the barrel threaded and mounted a Nikon 2-7x32 BDC 150 22 LR scope. It has a very good trigger. With my suppressor and sub-sonic ammo it is extremely accurate and the loudest sound is the bullet hitting the cardboard backing at the 25 yard range.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    second they nylon66, have had one since I was a child and still enjoy shooting it.

However, modern 22's, I'd say my 10/22. Extremely versatile and chews up most any ammo (will not eat Aquila Super Calibri). Love shooting it suppressed as well.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really think that you would have the most fun with a bolt gun. That is . . . unless you just enjoy "blastin".
    The older Remingtons come to mind. IIRC they were a 512. Several different variants. Super accurate also. --- SAWMAN

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here are my fun guns, The Summit with the throw action bolt has become my favorite because I can shoot anything through it and with the right ammo it is stupid quiet, but all in all my marlin and Winchester lever guns give me a charge also.

Attachments

• IMG_1268.JPG
      IMG_1268.JPG
      519.5 KB · Views: 214

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fun, could be a 22LR clone/copy of an interesting firearm, an erector set project, a cost effective trainer, a mag dumper, a pest thumper, a game getter, an average accuracy plinker or a tack driver. A fun gun can cover several categories but for me, it's the accuracy that will be the defining factor over the long haul. There is "value" in the fun factor. Fun comes at various price points.

I've had a bunch of them over the years, down to two keepers: semi auto Sig 522TT w/RDS and bolt action Marlin 880SQ w/10X Weaver.

Top Bottom