• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another vote for the Nylon 66, still have mine from 1969, still shoots great. also like the Model 552. Really I just like to shoot .22's from single shot model 514 Remington to the old savage single shot.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pic for site.jpg

50 foot targets at 100 yards with a 22 centerfire DPMS. The Precision centerfire Remington isn't quite :
    mac00903.jpg

But it ain't to far off.

So tiny groups are more the norm, but they don't make the Grandchildren smile.

So what's the most fun .22LR for a preteenager?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    For just plain fun, I would go with the S&W M&P 15-22.
    If you want one that can double as a hunting gun, get a Ruger 10/22 and a couple of 25 round mags.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    You Know it really just comes down to which one I have in my hands.

If you are looking to buy a gun ... sometimes it is best to go with the idea that the best guns find you ... you don't find them. Which ever one you find a decent deal on , try it. I have never felt sad buying a .22 . or one I couldn't re sell if I didn't like it.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ... So tiny groups are more the norm, but they don't make the Grandchildren smile.

So what's the most fun .22LR for a preteenager?

I can't speak for a preteenager in 2020, but if 10-year-old me had access to 2020 me's firearms/resources, I think a suppressed bolt-action would be top of the list, followed by a lever-action, then a pump action, then semi-auto, and finally single-shot. For rifles.

Regardless of model chosen, adding a suppressor makes it more fun; definitely.

So, Savage FVSR, Marlin 39A, Winchester Model-06, 10/22 takedown, etc etc... All have graced my hands at a range. Suppressed 22LR is soooo much fun. If unable suppressed, then manual action (bolt, lever, pump) is more fun to me than semi-auto.

Regardless of what model you choose, I'd like to think the grandkids will have fun and retain the memories of spending some shooting time with grandpa, simply because you cared enough to make it happen.

.270 Win

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For fun, you can't beat a semi-auto. My Nylon 66 and 10-22 are my favorites because they're mine. If you want methodical tack driving accuracy, get a bolt gun but for keeping targets spinning, balls bouncing or blowing up water bottles, a semi-auto is the only way to plink.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All jokes aside this is my favorite, it was given to me when I was 8 years old by my uncle. A friend of my family took me dove hunting with it ( I didn't know any better at that age) my dad gave me a box of rat shot to shoot, boy was I hooked. Its a Springfield model 86c. There is no telling how many rat shot rounds have been fired through it but if you put long rifle's in it you can shoot a squirrels eye out at 100 yards. Just a great old gun that brings back many many memories.

Attachments

• IMG_1322.JPG
      IMG_1322.JPG
      407.5 KB · Views: 227

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Y'all hit me hard with "It was Grandpa's" Folk's that know me understand that I have a very special relationship with the M14. Now a 22LR M14?

Well, I've got a 7.62 x 39mm Mini-30 that runs the same manual of arms (minus the clip strips) as an M14. A family favorite is the M2 Carbine, but it's doubtful that full-auto 22LR's are available. So perhaps a 22LR M1 Carbine will scratch the fun loving 22LR Rifle/Carbine itch?

Or should I just get a 5.56 Ruger Mini?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I took my nephews (ages 13 and 16) up to the hunting camp a couple of days ago to target shoot.
    I took a Rossi 357, a S&W Victory .22, a Ruger MK ll bull barrel .22, a S&W 629 .44,
    A S&W Sport ll 5.56 and a S&W M&P 15-22.
    Now, they thought it was really cool to shoot the 5.56 and the .44 but they really went nuts over the M&P 15-22.
    They went thru 800 rounds and the smiles never left their faces. Best $300 you can spend.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used 22LR pistols for training over the last 50+ years, but the only .22 caliber rifles I've ever owned where centerfires. So after all these years I'm debating purchasing a 22LR Rifle. This will just be for recreation, so what 22LR Rifle have you had the most fun with and why?

Thanks in advance for inputs,comments, & opinions.
    I like my 10/22. But, I also have a Rossi R22. Which is fairly priced and lightweight. Very accurate as well. Makes a great plunked and squirrel gun

Top Bottom