• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozymandias

Expert
    No doubt confusing, but one article said "assigned female at birth"... which is bullshit, since it was "assigned" at conception! : )
    You cant tell sex until about 4.5 months after conception.

Preemptive apologies, i just realized what you said and you are correct.

For some reason my brain was thinking along the lines of the visual confirmation made by the doc at birth, which cant be confirmed until halfway thru pregnancy.

You’re 100% right.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    One thing tho I see often and can't help but wonder is when or if one day schools etc will have doors that the emergency responders can open asap when needed. We're in the age now where most can be even magnetic locked and programmed to open with only a fob with the right codes in it. They tiny little things.
    Seems like they can put one on let's say the cops guns so that if the need arises that they have to respond, with a gun, that it will literally work as a master key. That way they can't forget and leave it in the cruiser, lose it, leave it at home... whatever the case may be. It will literally be the gun that is the key then. Just an idea. I'd like to see those guys not have to be forced to sit and wait around or jog up 50 stairs all while seconds count. Surely there's something along those lines that they can work out with the schools.

I won't get into specifics, but local politics play a role in what "road cops" get/have unlimited access to schools. It's far from a perfect situation.

It's even worse when you throw in Private or Charter Schools into the mix. Some schools don't "play nice" with local LE.

ETA- this came up this am with a couple of my folks... I told then you have a 3500 pound "Master Key"...

ETA #2- if you're a parent with kids in school, I urge you to attend a School Board meeting and ask... "do our local cops on the street, the grunts, the ones who will get there first, have unlimited access to school buildings and property"? You might be shocked at the answer. EVERY BEAT COP NEEDS THEIR OWN WAY OF ACCESS, not just Supervisors.

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    You cant tell sex until about 4.5 months after conception.

Preemptive apologies, i just realized what you said and you are correct.

For some reason my brain was thinking along the lines of the visual confirmation made by the doc at birth, which cant be confirmed until halfway thru pregnancy.

You’re 100% right.
    Bingo!

Some would say it's "assigned" by God... at conception. The doctor doesn't "assign" anything, and they're not "guessing". They just document it : )

DustyDog

Master

I've long said that I wish firearms had never been invented, but that cat is out of the bag. But for those who want to or think they can ban weapons, I say start at the top of the "Weapons Pyramid" first: NUCLEAR WEAPONS. Because if you can't get rid of those... nothing else matters. No worse scenario than having megalomaniacs everywhere armed with nukes, while good people are defenseless from ordinary street thugs.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Personally, I'd prefer a RDS vs. a LPVO for urban and quasi-urban operations where engagements are less than 200 yards. The LPVO offers a great advantage for extended range engagements, say 100+ yards, but with a possible fickle eye box and non-true 1X, it could cause some issues for those that are not hard ass trainers and shooters that can maintain a clean view under stressful conditions.

Honestly, LE needed this win for the public's trust. These guys delivered when we needed it the most.
    To be fair, he had a Vortex Razor II 1-6x24, which many shooters can run as fast as a RDS.

I agree there are a lot of LPVOs that don't hold up against a RDS, but the Razor and some Nightforce offerings seem to do well. The Razor is mindless to get behind at 1x and the dot is insanely bright.

But in that situation any quality RDS would have worked just as well and as you mention for those not as in tune with training hard and staying current, it is probably better for most.

Rational Mind

Expert
    I've long said that I wish firearms had never been invented, but that cat is out of the bag. But for those who want to or think they can ban weapons, I say start at the top of the "Weapons Pyramid" first: NUCLEAR WEAPONS. Because if you can't get rid of those... nothing else matters. No worse scenario than having megalomaniacs everywhere armed with nukes, while good people are defenseless from ordinary street thugs.
    I'm right there with you. I appreciate the guns for the protection they offer my family. I appreciate the mechanics and some are truly works of art. However I hate the damage they are capable of inflicting on flesh. Like you said " that cats out of the bag " . At this point all you can hope for is to avoid the situation and/or make sure your training and proficiency is better than the ones that would do you or others harm.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    I won't get into specifics, but local politics play a role in what "road cops" get/have unlimited access to schools. It's far from a perfect situation.

It's even worse when you throw in Private or Charter Schools into the mix. Some schools don't "play nice" with local LE.

ETA- this came up this am with a couple of my folks... I told then you have a 3500 pound "Master Key"...

ETA #2- if you're a parent with kids in school, I urge you to attend a School Board meeting and ask... "do our local cops on the street, the grunts, the ones who will get there first, have unlimited access to school buildings and property"? You might be shocked at the answer. EVERY BEAT COP NEEDS THEIR OWN WAY OF ACCESS, not just Supervisors.
    Yeah every parent needs to demand this to change immediately! I can't think of a good reason why this is even a thing. Imo if a school refuses to give you ALL access and the tools you need to do the most basic of what needs to be done they should have to staff thier own armed security at the very least. Real security too. Not just an old guy with a walkie-talkie. We need to write the Govs and get that stuff sorted asap.
    Or find some tech that can wirelessly send out a digital code or some sort that makes all units responding have instant access somehow. Give each cop a telsa-lock card that don't work but all share the same code. Then when an emergency happens and the alarms go off, the locks all now can be opened with those code cards. Surely tech is that far along. That could be something they all should be able to agree to. Until then, all cops have access 24/7 no matter what I say

DustyDog

Master
    If guns were truly the problem, then how/why were people killing each other prior to them being made??? Maybe trashy people are just trash.
    I always give the example:

"On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19-tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people and the injury of 434 others."

Which would shut down the debate, if the other side was being honest. Instead, they'll come back with something along the lines of "But trucks weren't designed to kill!"

SJB

Shooter
    I always give the example:

"On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19-tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people and the injury of 434 others."

Which would shut down the debate, if the other side was being honest. Instead, they'll come back with something along the lines of "But trucks weren't designed to kill!"
    I mean tanks/humvees/apc's are vehicles and they were designed to kill, but that's neither here nor there. They just don't listen to facts.However alcohol wasn't designed to kill, but do you know how many alcohol related deaths there are every year? Not just acute alcohol poisoning, but drunk driving, drunks walking into traffic, etc... But again, alcohol wasn't designed to kill.

Ozymandias

Expert
    I mean tanks/humvees/apc's are vehicles and they were designed to kill, but that's neither here nor there. They just don't listen to facts.However alcohol wasn't designed to kill, but do you know how many alcohol related deaths there are every year? Not just acute alcohol poisoning, but drunk driving, drunks walking into traffic, etc... But again, alcohol wasn't designed to kill.
    Humvees and APCs weren’t designed to kill.

They were designed to move troops and facilitate small logi, its just by happenstance that they *can* kill

God gave me Jim Beam to make driving fun.

Top Bottom