• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Are VA Healthcare Problems a Preview of Obamacare?

April 24, 2013 by Talmadge Coley • Blog Posts • Tags: Affordable Health Care Act, Dept of Defense, Dept of Veterans Affairs, Joe Klein, Obamacare, Senator Max Baucus • 8 Comments

We’ve been documenting some of the problems with the Department of Veterans Affairs healthcare system, from medical records to poor care at certain VA hospitals. Americans should be concerned about this history, not just because they share our belief that veterans deserve high quality care and service. This record also suggests that the government is ill-equipped to manage a major health care system, which bodes ill for the upcoming implementation of the Affordable Health Care Act.

We are not alone in our concern about how Obamacare will function in practice. Lawmakers, as well as noted columnists and policy analysts, have begun to raise alarms about the government’s readiness for implementing this massive new law, and how it will impact Americans, businesses, the economy, and the medical community.

Senator Max Baucus (D-MT), one of the leading architects of the law, set off a firestorm last week when he characterized implementation as a potential “train wreck.” The Hill reported on Baucus’s troubling assessment of the implementation process to date:

“I just see a huge train wreck coming down,” he told Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius at a Wednesday hearing. “You and I have discussed this many times, and I don’t see any results yet.” “I’m very concerned that not enough is being done so far – very concerned…Do you have any data? You’ve never given me data…You only give me concepts, frankly.”

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), another Obamacare supporter, also called the law one of the most complex pieces of legislation ever passed, and warned that if not rolled out properly, it would make our health care system that much worse.

Columnists, even those sympathetic to this administration and the Obamacare law, are also noting the perils of implementation. For example, earlier this month, TIME columnist Joe Klein noted in his blog titled “Obamacare Incompetence,” that the administration has had three years to set up these exchanges and has failed to do so as of yet. Klein even mentioned the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs as a troubling preview of potential problems, citing the weekly failures at VA and their inability to effectively create a unified electronic health care records system.

Indeed Americans ought to consider this: While there are certain VA centers that are excellent and receive few complaints, too many (such as the case in Mississippi) are inefficient and provide poor quality of care. If they cannot implement an effective, quality healthcare program across-the-board for veterans—just a small portion of the population—how can we expect it to successfully reorder the health care system for the entire country?
    - See more at: http://concernedveteransforamerica....-a-preview-of-obamacare/#sthash.OncrMalV.dpuf

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't remember how much you get paid ? Seems someone willing to spend as much time keeping us informed on how bad the va is would be better off to invest that time in helping vets. OR get out of the system that is putting money in your pocket. I would be ashamed to take money if I put them down like you do. To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oboma care was destined to fail from the start. There will be more cheating by dr than ever before and over charges. Insurance companys are looking at golden eggs with every person they overcharge for insurance and the cost of a persons insurance is just going to keep going up.

If you think the wait time is bad in the VA wait untill everyone wants to see a dr. If you get the deductable paid you won't be able to pay your insurance bill and then the Gov will takeyour incometax return if you have anything comming back.

Rep think they can get it repealed if they get into office. Wrong, When was the last time anything ever got repeald and it is to hot a topic and to much money behind it now.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn, You all (intentionally spelled that way) are going at it.. Frank, I thought you said you were out of this???

Attachments

• internet[1].jpg
      internet[1].jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 62

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I cannot see SB, he is on ignore, you know ignored as he deserves...LOL
    I saw other vets dying and getting poor service. So bad the American Legion and almost all Veteran organizations are calling for the resignation and better care, total reform. That is a good thing and cannot be stopped by one uninformed person. Thanks..Patriots ALL

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I give it 2 days and he will have me off ignore. Frank must not go on his gut feelings. Talking about seeing people dieing and getting poor service but you can bet there will be a post about the service he gets on the 15th. You know them Dr are so bad that Frank should worry about what they find. They might miss something that could kill him and by the time he gets on Medacade and medacare it will be to late.

Bet if that happens he will wish he had got out instead of just bashing.

Going to set up an appointment for my catract opperation tomorrow if possable. Oh that tube they put down my to my stomac (spell) I knew all there names and they gave me a paper to rate them with there names on it. For those who don't know you can rate your care every time you go. I even had a real person ask me about my care on more than 1 time. Even ask me if I could understand the Dr english.

I will continue to go to the VA and be grateful and you Frank will continue to go and bash while cashing those checks. Good luck with your treatment. My great'st wish for you is that someone from the VA see's your posts and treat you in the manner you deserve. Oh I forgot I am on ignore and you won't read this. You sure sign in and out alot. Takes alot of time to cut and paste I guess. Buy the way,I give you 36 hours and not 2 days like before. Good luck on the 15. If it's for that derontaligist I would get a second look at . That stuff can kill you.

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SB, glad you have had good luck with the VA. I really am. Too many of the folks I worked with at a 501 had different stories, vastly different stories.

That said, your pissing match with someone who doesn't agree with your narrative doesn't reflect well for your "side of the debate". Some of us aren't willing to forgo others experience in favor of our own. My dos pesos....

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hugh my experance with the Va has been better than good and could change tomorrow and I am not saying that others have had the experance I have had. Go to ANY hospital that treats as many people as the VA and you will hear about people that are unhappy with there care. Small town large town dosen't make any diffrence. Go to large town and add FREE and see how many you have.

Franks constant bashing of the VA Caliming to see people dieing and getting bad treatment and still going to them and not getting out of there system ranks up there in stupidity higher than I have ever seen. And then to keep taking the things he does gladley take from them

Its not like he can't afford to get out of there system. NO ONE has to use there services. If I had felt about the VA as Frank does ,then I would have signed up for Medicare and medacade as soon as I could have and gotten out instead of going on a forom and bashing.

I don't recall if you are a vet or not but in my mind you treat hospitals by the treatment you get and not by the way others think there treatment was. Ask about alot of DR or hospital and you will have people saying that they will kill you and don't go to them.

If they are so bad go to a parking lot and see how many cars are there. I don't have the no for the VA here but you can bet they treat in the 100's of thousands a year and there DR are human to. To find out about civ Dr and hospitals you have to do serches on your own to see what type of care you get.

In short I am happy with my care and Frank not so much. I will continue to go and Frank will continue to Bash and take. No one has to use threre services and can go elswhere at any time. The only time you HAVE to see them is if you have a disability claim and then only for that. The rest of your care can be gotten from outside the Va.

Hugh I am talking from my experance and not from some cut and paste.

I would say that anyone that is unhappy should go somewhere else and lower the patient load on the VA and that would lower the wait times and I would encourage there family members to take them out if they aren't happy with the care there loved ones are getting. After all we aren't talking about a brand of ammo that we don't like we are talking about our health.

For the record I do know people that use the VA and have Medacare and Medacade so they can use both systems.

Maybe that should read Medacare Part A and B instead of Medacade? Ain't up on the other insurance.

Last edited:

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You ever know anyone body that didn't get a haircut before an inspection on Monday. Try and hook em up and if its not perfect, they'll bitch for months and months on end for a haircut that was free. Crazy part is they won't say a damn thing about a haircut they paid for.

Whether a vet can afford it or not is not the issue. Too many of our brothers/sisters simply can't afford to pay for the alternatives. It's all of our responsibilities to do everything we can to ensure they get the best possible care. I think we all know the most vocal get the most attention. So in that vein, raise your voice. Raise it so fucking loud it can't be ignored!

They expect us to turn on each other to drown each other out. Don't play their game. Let us ensure we take care of our brothers/sisters before we all reach the door that can't be unlocked.

Here's a link to the Veterans Benefits Network Forum: http://vets.yuku.com/

Semper FI

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hugh, I agree about care for our vets. Look at my last post on the other thread. What I don't agree with is the bashing of the VA when you are being taken care of by them and getting a disability payment every month from them.

I am grateful for the treatment I have gotten and will tell the world. I agree your mileage may vary.

Can't say the Semper Fi thing but we had a saying in SAC to. Tell you if we ever get to meet up. We are a proud bunch to but you wouldn't know it from our saying.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom