• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure that some of you may have noticed by now that Im not into mindless bashing of the president, or of government/country, but if the allegations in reports like this one

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/health/veterans-dying-health-care-delays/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

turn out to be true, somebody's head should be on a pike. I get so tired of nobody ever being punished.

On a side note, how do people feel about the possible creation of a sub-forum for veteran's issues? Seems like there are lots of veterans here. I was going to email the powers that be, but thought it might be wise to put it before the GCGF citizenry first.

-D

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Look, the bottom line is the VA is the original obama care, socialized medicine and has been for a long time. Long waits for service treatment and referrals, refusals for surgery and death panels.

I have been in the system since 2000 as my primary care. I finally got an additional 10% disability after a 3 year fight and 2 Veterans organizations intervention to get it. I am still waiting 3 years for an appointment to a dermatologist, his last email to my primary Doc said take pictures and I will get back to you, so 6 months later pics are going to be made the 19th.

I was talking to my primary Doc at the Eglin Clinic, this guy has served too. Asked him why some of the simplest clinics like hearing, and first appt for colon, some vision and others were not provided locally at the Eglin VA clinic or Eglin Hospital instead of having us drive to the Navy/VA clinic 1 1/2 hrs each way distance. His answer? We don't want all those homeless Veterans hanging around like they do at those clinics, all I could say, with a pained expression was, REALLY?

Socialized medicine is ok but with no choices and minimal care we should expect more for those that served. Welfare recipients are treated better.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hey it's all I can afford, and here in Pensacola, I have pretty good luck with them.

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nothing to see here, move along.... Till you die and they can take you off the rolls, then voila! No more problem!!!

I could tell some stories about VA that would make you puke.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, All I can say is that some of what you are saying sounds like Bull Shit to me. I don't have any problems getting appointments in the VA system. I have an appointment with a dermotligst every 6 months. Get my colin looked at every 5 years. Have had 2 catarac operations, MRI's done, Biopseyy taken of my lung. Since I take some pain meds I see my primary Dr every 6 months.

Any time I have had problems I am sent to a speclist.

I am NOT on any type of disability snd do not have a purple heart.

And BOO HOO if you have to drive an hour and a half and get mileage for FREE health care.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sad that those Vets passed and it kind of makes me sick to see that director rolling in what looks to be a new and very expensive car while the VA struggles financially. I for one didn't claim a thing when I got out of the Marines I just felt that I had my sight and all my limbs while some of my buddies didn't and they needed the care and support more than I did. Not a dig on anybody just my personal belief and choice.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I go to the little VA clinic here for mundane things, since its right on the base-its basically walking distance.

I understand that the VA cant have a mega-hospital in every little town though, and I'm unwilling to give up the time to go to Pensacola or Mobile (although they do offer bus service or mileage reimbursement), so I have other insurance that I use if I have a more-indepth issue.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am in the VA system, but haven't used them for anything. I'm in priority Group 1, but don't feel right using them for non-rated things since I also have Tricare. That said, I wasn't all that impressed when I enrolled and had to do my physical. I've seen 18Ds and PJs that I would trust more to work on me than the no English speaking goofball doc that saw me.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    SB, don't ever call me a liar again, it is all documented. Until you stand in my shoes I suggest you not comment as you only make yourself look the fool when you don't know others situation and have seen their records..

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its bad enough getting an appointment on the Hurlburt clinic. Then they give you Motrin. :wacko:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't call you a lier I said it sounds like bullshit to me. If you have problems with the VA maybe it has somwthing to do with your attidude with your Dr. I have been in the VA system for over 20 years and have NEVER had the problems you seem to have with them.

If you don't like your DR then be smart enough to ask for another one. I never have but Caroline ask for another one when I was in no condition to do it for myself. Next day new Dr.

i have been in the hospital with people who pissed and moaned about there treatment and you could never make them happy. I expect you are the same way.

And since they are your primary care then if you aren't happy with them then GET OUT AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and stop bitching on the net. Free care, mileage, disability doesent seem like to much to give up if you are unhappy.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Cease fire we are all friends here guys. Agree to disagree but no need to make bad blood

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    On a happier note when I got back in the military and had to go the MEPS station for another physical the doctor was an angry disgruntled man and looked like he had not clipped his nails in months, after doing the cough drill I crop dusted his office, his assistant and him stood outside their office for like 10 minutes and I couldn't stop laughing it was priceless.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am in the VA system, but haven't used them for anything. I'm in priority Group 1, but don't feel right using them for non-rated things since I also have Tricare. That said, I wasn't all that impressed when I enrolled and had to do my physical. I've seen 18Ds and PJs that I would trust more to work on me than the no English speaking goofball doc that saw me.

Hell yeah. That's why I only go to the doctor for broken bones that have to be casted. Same with my family. I tend to most of their stuff also.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, my intention when I started this thread was to discuss the situation at the Phoenix VA hospital in particular, but I guess since the VA is such a easy horse to flog--the original topic was overlooked and never got traction.

Here, however is an update on that situation:

The director of the Phoenix VA and two others have been "placed on administrative leave until further notice"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/health/veterans-dying-health-care-delays/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I also asked in my OP if there was any interest in some sort of subforum to track veterans issues (loss of benefits, commissaries closing, etc.) since there were so many veterans (and active duty here), but that seems to have been missed also, in the hurry to flog the VA horse.

You may now return to your usual flogging :)

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell yeah. That's why I only go to the doctor for broken bones that have to be casted. Same with my family. I tend to most of their stuff also.

Same here, other than that physical I haven't been to a doc since I retired. I don't have an issue saying something is above my ability to fix, but I'm not doing like I've seen some people do and run to the doc for every boo boo, ache or pain. If I did that I'd be in the doc's office everyday. It also helps that my best friend is an ER doc so I bounce things off of him if I'm unsure; he has no problem telling me I'm being a dumbass and need to see a real doc.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just got back from a FREE visit to the VA clinic. DAMN I had to buy my own gas and wait 10 min to be seen.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Under Obama, VA’s Problems Get Worse

Despite Obama’s pledge to fix the ‘broken VA bureaucracy,’ benefits claims are taking longer than ever to process, reports Aaron Glantz of the Center for Investigative Reporting.

The Department of Veterans Affairs’ ability to quickly provide service-related benefits has virtually collapsed under President Barack Obama, according to internal VA documents obtained by the Center for Investigative Reporting and authenticated by the agency.

Those documents, which the VA has yet to share with Congress or the public, show that the delays new veterans face before receiving disability compensation and other benefits often are far longer than the agency has publicly acknowledged. The documents also offer insight into some of the reasons for those delays.

The agency tracks and widely reports the average wait time: 273 days. But the internal data indicates that veterans filing their first claim, including those who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, wait nearly two months longer, between 316 and 327 days. Those filing for the first time in America’s major population centers wait up to twice as long—642 days in New York, 619 days in Los Angeles, and 542 days in Chicago.

The ranks of veterans waiting more than a year for their benefits grew from 11,000 in 2009, the first year of Obama’s presidency, to 245,000 in December—an increase of more than 2,000 percent.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That took long enough Frank, It's all Obama's falt. Just for the sake of asking,How long does it take to get ssi disability? A friend of mine it took over a year and he had terminal cancer. Got disability for about 6 mo before dieing.

Don't take it in any way to mean that our vets don't have there benifits coming but maybe the gov wants to try and make sure there calms are liget. Paying 20% disability for maybe 50 years for hearing loss runs into guite a bunch of money. I know a guy thats getting it.

It was hurry up and wait all the time we were in the service,Why should it be any diffrent now? Hell alot of us are getting better care now than when we were active duty. The wife got better care than I did at Ellsworth.

You continue to be unhappy with your care and untill my care changes I will be happy with mine.

edit If you want ssi get a lawyer and you may get it in under a year

Last edited:
    Top Bottom