• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used my .223 with Barnes TTSX on deer 2 years ago. Shot one at 90 yards and he ran 20 yards then dropped. The .223 will do well with good shot placement

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With perfect shot placement it is adequate. Definitely not my first choice. Too much chance of losing an animal which isn't acceptable to me.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A 22 mag's good enough if you can place your shot well, but there are too many variables that will throw off your shot placement, not to mention an animal being just past the range that you know you shouldn't go past. While certainly possible, I wouldn't do it. I'd get another upper or a 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hunted with a 222 all during the late 60's and the 70's with 55 grain Hornaday spire points and killed more deer than I can remember and 1 small hog. Place your shots well and you shouldn't have any problems. I NEVER took long shots. All were taken under 100 yards. Most under 50 yards. Hunting around a feeder should be no problem but make sure there is NO brush between you and your targets.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not my first choice but all of us don't have a choice. The bullet is very good and the 223 fine for deer. For hogs it is light but can do the job, what grain? If it were me I would rather have a 20 or 12 ga slug gun, if given the choice for hogs.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally wouldn't go under a 243. But then again, I'd say the 223 isn't any less gun than a bow and people are fanatic about it...I'd definitely go for a lung shot and steer clear of shoulder bones.

Like frank said, my choice over that would be a slug..every body has a shotgun, or should lol

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    like its always said, shot placement. i have hunted hogs with a 223 and always end up taking 3 or 4 shots to plant them. but i have also had a good shot and planted smaller hogs with a 223. if you don't have a choice then make sure your comfortable with the shot and have a good bullet to do the rest of the work

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This hog was taken with a .223 by the gentleman on the right. 115 yards with a single shot to the head. No tracking was involved. The shooter is confident with his weapon/shot placement and confident with his bullet selection.
    IMG_2712 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2712 (800x600).jpg
      IMG_2712 (800x600).jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 273

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here, also I have an illustration of why shooting a hog between the eyes is a bad idea. The skull is extremely thick in this area and it forms a natural ramp. This particular hog skull came from a guestimated 250 pound boar. The ear hole would be my target of choice with a light round. As a disclaimer, I shot this particular boar with a 6.8 with a 120 grain SST. The round entered below the left eye socket and what was left exited down the lower right side of the neck. The shot in the above thread was about perfect into the ear hole.

IMG_2814 (800x600) hog head illustration.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2814 (800x600) hog head illustration.jpg
      IMG_2814 (800x600) hog head illustration.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 183

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Years ago my wife's cousin in TN was sitting on the ground and shot a boar head on aiming right between the eyes with a .270. It knocked the boar down for a minute, then it got back up and treed her cousin.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. Who knows why he dropped his rifle and went for the tree but he said the boar played kickball with his rifle for several minutes knocking it around with it's snout before it finally wandered off.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread is enough to make you wonder if a 458 Win Mag is adequate enough to kill a 12,000 pound charging bull elephant. I guess it all boils down to 3 things: shot placement, shot placement and shot placement.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    458 win mag on elephant is shooting solids. Shatters bone beautifully . Most people don't hunt hogs with solids. I'll bet shooting my win mag or my socom with my .458 solids either would shatter the skull with a well places shot. I have some 305 grain solids I should load up and try

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A student of mine in GA hunts deer and hog there exclusively with .223 and it quite successful at it.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my friends dad hunts deer in GA with a 22 magnum only. he has only had 2 deer run on him. he shoots them in the neck and almost always they just drop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks for the advice. i will be shooting 55gr barnes triple shocks. and will be aiming for the ear on hog and neck for deer. i will try to put up pic if i have any luck. thanks again

Top Bottom